Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

My first long ride. How can I get ready in time?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-09, 08:27 AM
akahn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first long ride. How can I get ready in time?

Hi everyone,

I set a goal for myself to ride one of this season's Berkshire Brevet events (https://newhorizonsbikes.com/page.cfm?pageID=67). The next one coming up is a short one, 150K (94 miles), and I want to give it a try. The problem is that it sort of snuck up on me, and I haven't been training very much at all. Right now, it's 11 days away.

How should I prepare given the small amount of time in front of me? I've never ridden anywhere close to 94 miles before (which is why in my training, I wanted to work up from the 30 mile rides I had been doing to 50-60 mile rides and beyond), so I'm a little uncertain of myself. What if I do a 40 mile ride this week, and something like a 60 mile ride next week, with some shorter rides interspersed? Would this be a good strategy?

Many thanks,
Alex
Old 06-29-09, 09:28 AM
spokenword

Bikes: ANT Club Racer, 2004 Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by akahn
How should I prepare given the small amount of time in front of me? I've never ridden anywhere close to 94 miles before (which is why in my training, I wanted to work up from the 30 mile rides I had been doing to 50-60 mile rides and beyond), so I'm a little uncertain of myself. What if I do a 40 mile ride this week, and something like a 60 mile ride next week, with some shorter rides interspersed? Would this be a good strategy?
hey, akahn ... are you also on LJ\bikepirates? The username seems familiar. If you are who I think you are, then I believe that you're already familiar with the terrain of the Berks (ie. can't swing a dead cat without hitting a steep hill); and so if you're currently doing 30 milers now, you should absolutely do your best to work up to doing 60 by next week. I believe that ultracycling.com cites some maxim like every cyclist is capable of riding an event that is twice as long as the longest even they've trained for. So, getting a 60 miler in soon should be helpful.

The other thing I would say is that since this is a night ride, think about what you're going to use for lighting. One corollary of riding in hilly terrain is that you're going to have some rather fast descents (especially if Don routes you thorugh Jacob's Ladder or Pisgah), so it's good to have a light that has both good range and width.

Aside from that, be comfortable with climbing, if you aren't already. Also, check with Don about expected support. He will sometimes drive out to a control to stock a table with PB&J, chips and water, but most of the controles on his routes are unmanned stops at convenience stores, 24-Hour Dunks or gas stations. Plan accordingly.
Old 06-29-09, 09:36 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
If I were you, I'd either skip it or, if they offer it and you've already paid, do a shorter section. Just to give you an idea, most century training schedules for a new rider are about 12 weeks long.

There are several issues that you're facing:
• you're likely to get an overuse injury
• you don't have time to work on your hydration and nutrition methods
• you don't know if your bike and/or position will be comfortable after 50, 70 or 90 miles

You should also get your bike tuned up. If your LBS is good and isn't too busy, they might do it in a few hours, but they might need a day or so if they're busy or actually need to fix something.

Mind you, it's quite plausible that you can just do the ride without any major issues, or not mind the issues. But to me, this would be like saying "the longest run I've ever done is 3 miles, and I'm going to do a half marathon in less than 2 weeks." It's a bit much.

More importantly, there are plenty of events out there that you can do; it shouldn't be that hard to find another century that's at least 2 months away.

Cue people telling you to "Just Do It" in 5, 4, 3...
Old 06-29-09, 10:28 AM
johnknappcc

Bikes: A beautiful columbus steel frame, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur touring bike, Currently Undergoing Overhaul

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Hi everyone,

I set a goal for myself to ride one of this season's Berkshire Brevet events (https://newhorizonsbikes.com/page.cfm?pageID=67). The next one coming up is a short one, 150K (94 miles), and I want to give it a try. The problem is that it sort of snuck up on me, and I haven't been training very much at all. Right now, it's 11 days away.

Many thanks,
Alex
You should be fine . . . however, I'm making the following assumptions . . .
1) Your bike is in great mechanical condition (recently tuned up, greased, oiled, etc)
2) You are in good to better mechanical condition (relatively healthy)

This is what I would do . . .
1) 50 miles shouldn't be a biggie, take it easy around 16-22 mph. Generally 50 should be possible without immediate fatigue. If you get to 50 and still feel good, go for 60, maybe 75.
2) Next ride (after a rest day), increment mileage by about 10-15.
3) Do that until you are at 90, and while listening to your body, you should know by then what your hydration/nutrition needs will be.
4) Try to do it with a partner or small group (training rides) that way you will have more to do than just look at your odometer.
5) Also, this sounds weird, but don't go in a small loop, ride straight out from your starting point (about half the distance you would like to go). It makes you pay much more attention to your cadence, power output, and energy levels, when you know you will have to travel that distance to get home. This, instead of running a 10 mile loop 5 times or so.

Good luck!
Old 06-29-09, 10:51 AM
akahn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spokenword
hey, akahn ... are you also on LJ\bikepirates? The username seems familiar. If you are who I think you are, then I believe that you're already familiar with the terrain of the Berks (ie. can't swing a dead cat without hitting a steep hill); and so if you're currently doing 30 milers now, you should absolutely do your best to work up to doing 60 by next week. I believe that ultracycling.com cites some maxim like every cyclist is capable of riding an event that is twice as long as the longest even they've trained for. So, getting a 60 miler in soon should be helpful.

The other thing I would say is that since this is a night ride, think about what you're going to use for lighting. One corollary of riding in hilly terrain is that you're going to have some rather fast descents (especially if Don routes you thorugh Jacob's Ladder or Pisgah), so it's good to have a light that has both good range and width.

Aside from that, be comfortable with climbing, if you aren't already. Also, check with Don about expected support. He will sometimes drive out to a control to stock a table with PB&J, chips and water, but most of the controles on his routes are unmanned stops at convenience stores, 24-Hour Dunks or gas stations. Plan accordingly.
Thanks for the words of support, this gives me some confidence. Yes, that's me on LJ/bikepirates. My lighting setup should be okay. I have a very bright headlight (and I can bring extra batteries), and another that is not as bright. Normally I just use the bright one, but I can use both here. I'm comfortable with climbing, but definitely better at finding my rhythm on long climbs compared to killer, steep ones. My usual rides inevitably have both, so that is helpful. I can carry plenty of food in my rando style handlebar bag and my large saddlebag, so support shouldn't be a big deal.

Bacciagalupe, thanks for sharing your concerns. Maybe I should train hard the next two weeks and see if I feel up for it come July 11th. The ride is an out-and-back route, so if I have to drop off before the end of the 'out' leg, I can wait for my friends while they finish it and do the 'back' leg with them. You're right, I don't want to get injured.
Old 06-29-09, 10:57 AM
akahn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
John,

My bike is in great shape. It's a 1991 Bridgestone RB-T that wasn't used much and must have been tuned up before being stored for a long time. It has new tires and shifts and brakes well. I'm a very lean 23 year old. I'm not in great shape but I do hard MTB rides and shorter road rides regularly so I'm fit at least.

Thanks for your advice. I'm not sure I'll be able to work my way all the way up to 90, but I will try to increment the mileage. Here's the route I'm considering for my next ride: https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...5&ie=UTF8&z=12 (there are some mean hills in there).
Old 06-29-09, 11:15 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by johnknappcc
1) 50 miles shouldn't be a biggie, take it easy around 16-22 mph.
Are you sure those belong in the same sentence?
Old 06-29-09, 11:54 AM
johnknappcc

Bikes: A beautiful columbus steel frame, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur touring bike, Currently Undergoing Overhaul

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
Are you sure those belong in the same sentence?
Maybe, I don't know. I did 54 mi on Saturday (I was going for 80 but the weather had other ideas in store). My low end was 16 mph (not including climbs) but 18-20 mph is a pretty easy pace IMHO. 20-22 is sustainable for a few miles (we are flatlanders here) and then I drop back down to 17-19 for another few and bump back up, depending on the wind. There were still people passing, although I don't know what distance they were going for.

I've got a touring frame (1986 Voyageur) so it isn't the fastest, but it seems effortless once it gets moving. I also have a triple in front and a corncob 12-23 in back, so I can always find my gear.

On the flats, anything in between 18.5-21 and I'm a happy camper!

By the by akahn, looks like a nice training route! Enjoy!
Old 06-29-09, 12:17 PM
nickthaquick1

Bikes: Blue Competition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i woudlnt worry to much about it...i did 100 and 75 this weekend, my longest ride before that was 55, and i only did that once!

just take it easy, eat and drink a lot, and you should be just fine...remember...PACE YOURSELF!
Old 06-29-09, 02:39 PM
FLYcrash

Bikes: 1974 Raleigh Sports

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi! I did my first ~100 mile ride with not much training - a regular ~15 mile weekly ride, others as they came up, some sporadic running, and one ~50 mile training ride the week before. The ride was hard, and I was starting to bonk after about 60-70 miles, but I did it with little more than general fitness and still really enjoyed it. You should be fine...just start training right now!

Good luck!
Old 06-29-09, 02:43 PM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1574 Post(s)
Liked 1,708 Times in 857 Posts
...What if I do a 40 mile ride this week, and something like a 60 mile ride next week, with some shorter rides interspersed? Would this be a good strategy?

Many thanks,
Alex
Hey, Alex,

I worry about you doing too much in the last days before the ride. If you do 40 or 50 this weekend, great. But then you should step down. Your last 5 days might be: 30-20-15-10-off, something along those lines.

Go in fresh; you can't increase fitness much in a week, anyway. Eating a little bit every hour on the bike during the big ride is a very important for success, too. Good luck and have fun, and tell us what happens.
Old 06-29-09, 04:52 PM
bhchdh 

Bikes: '07 Trek 520, '09 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '88 Trek 660, '92 Trek 930, Trek Multitrack 700

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You will be fine. Or they will bury you where you fall. J/K. Have fun.
"When I hear another express an opinion, which is not mine, I say to myself, He has a right to his opinion, as I to mine; why should I question it. His error does me no injury, and shall I become a Don Quixot to bring all men by force of argument, to one opinion? If a fact be misstated, it is probable he is gratified by a belief of it, and I have no right to deprive him of the gratification."

T. Jefferson
Old 06-29-09, 11:11 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
What you should do is just go ride the heck out of whatever hills you have. Then the day before the event, take a rest day. Then go for it.

One thing people forget is that the time limit on these things is longish. You don't need to do 16 mph. If you average 12 mph, you're fine. You can be slow and it's okay. If you're riding 30 mph fairly briskly, then you can probably ride 94 miles slowly with a few breaks with no problem.

I rode the "Beauty and The Beast Tour" a while back. It was the hilliest ride I had been on, about 3000', I think the site said, and I was riding my single speed. I think I was the last person in. I got so tired, and towards the end, I'd have to stop on a lot of those little hills and rest halfway up. But when it was done, I finished in about 5:45, with the distance being a metric century. The cool thing is that standard brevet time for that distance is longer, so had that been a brevet/ permanent, I would still have been okay on the time.
Old 06-30-09, 01:25 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,700 Times in 2,520 Posts
there is no sense in trying to get a training effect out of the last week. If you want to try a 50 miler in the week 7 days out or more, go for it. Do what you have been doing the last week. It would be easy to take a ride that would take a week to recover from in your current condition. Might as well save the over exertion for the ride itself.
Old 06-30-09, 11:25 AM
Syscrush

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
One thing people forget is that the time limit on these things is longish. You don't need to do 16 mph. If you average 12 mph, you're fine. You can be slow and it's okay.
Thank god someone said it!

I've never done a formal event, but last summer when I started cycling again I was in pretty rough shape - 20 miles was non-trivial for me, and I was almost 40 lbs overweight, 37 years old, and no history of long distance cycling.

Within 6 weeks I had done my first 100k, then first 100 mile rides (2 days apart), then the following week I did 140k twice 2 days apart. All of this was done at an average speed of 20-21 kph = 12-13 mph. That was on a pretty heavy commuting hybrid bike set up for touring, and carrying food and a bunch of water, plus some tools, spare tubes, and in the case of the 2x140k rides I had a change of clothes as well.

My advice is to get the bike tuned up, don't knock yourself out on speed, go do a 60 mile ride just to see how it feels in the week before the big ride, and get a good night's rest and eat properly the day before the 150k ride.

If you're having trouble setting a sustainable pace, my advice is to try to ride with your mouth closed, breathing only through your nose except on the biggest climbs. That's an easy way to ensure that you're not over exerting and not at risk of burning out early. Once you're past the 100k mark, you're only a couple of hours from home, so you can decide for yourself then if you want to turn up the wick a bit or keep with the pace you've been going at for the first 2 thirds of the ride.

For nutrition & hydration I liked starting with 700ml of just water, then switching to Gatorade mixed 50/50 with water. I'd have a mouthful or two every 15-20 minutes to keep from getting dehydrated, and avoid having to stop for a piss. I also took a bit of preemptive aspirin when I had food, which wasn't often because I was doing this for weight loss as much as for the adventure (I think I had 2 bananas and 2 granola bars when I did the 100 mile ride).

A 150k ride is the same as a 15k ride in that it will be as hard or as easy as you choose to make it. If what's important to you is to set a personal speed record, or hang with experienced and impatient distance riding friends, then it may well be too late already. If what's important to you is setting a personal distance record and pushing past some old limits and having a fun adventure, then don't stress about it, just get your ass out there!
Old 06-30-09, 02:02 PM
akahn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I definitely have no problem going 12mph on this ride. I have no interest in going faster than my body can take. Hopefully my friends will be patient enough.

Good points on giving myself time to rest after a long ride before the event. I will definitely follow that advice!
Old 06-30-09, 04:05 PM
Richard Cranium

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 36 Posts
What if I do a 40 mile ride this week, and something like a 60 mile ride next week, with some shorter rides interspersed? Would this be a good strategy?
Who knows? Trying to "cram" training in for a ride - may do you more harm than good.

If you're healthy, and you stay that way, and you have a decent bike, and it stays that way - there's no reason you shouldn't be able to go out and ride 94 miles.

What's important for this ride - is that you pace your self according to your current status - and figure out if you like bicycling enough to actually "train" for your next long ride.
Old 07-01-09, 07:35 PM
FLYcrash

Bikes: 1974 Raleigh Sports

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I totally agree with those saying to take rest in the days before the ride. If you do the 60 miler, make sure to do it this weekend (or so) at the latest.

I also agree with those who advocate getting plenty to eat and drink. Eat well the day before, and snack copiously during the ride. It makes a big difference as you near the end, and it really helps in bouncing back after the ride!
Old 07-06-09, 06:39 AM
akahn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, here's the ride I did on Saturday: https://is.gd/1oL0v . Unfortunately, it was 54 miles rather than 60 or 65, but still, it helps my confidence for the 150K. I think my average speed was about 13 mph on the way there and about 11 on the way back. I will try to fit in a 20 mile ride this week.

It was a successful ride in terms of nutrition. I ate 2 Clif bars, several cherries and grapes, and several chocolate-covered almonds (I love these for biking), and drank both of my 27oz water bottles.
Old 07-06-09, 07:54 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
If you had hard limits due to fitness or equipment issues, you would have discovered them on your 54 mile ride. I would feel confident. The important task now is to ride again this week but rest well and eat healthy in prep for the ride.

As others have said, take it slow. I would try to maintain a 12 mph pace including hills. If your friends are faster, let 'em go ahead.

Keep your self well hydrated. It takes an hour for water to reach working muscles. If the weather is hot, you may need twice as much water per hour compared to what you consumed on your test ride.

Michael
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 07-06-09 at 08:12 AM.
Old 07-06-09, 03:51 PM
Syscrush

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
If you had hard limits due to fitness or equipment issues, you would have discovered them on your 54 mile ride. I would feel confident. The important task now is to ride again this week but rest well and eat healthy in prep for the ride.

As others have said, take it slow. I would try to maintain a 12 mph pace including hills. If your friends are faster, let 'em go ahead.

Keep your self well hydrated. It takes an hour for water to reach working muscles. If the weather is hot, you may need twice as much water per hour compared to what you consumed on your test ride.

Michael
What he said. Good work, and have fun at the event!
Old 07-06-09, 08:35 PM
akahn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, guys! This event is actually at night (it's the "Moonlight Century Rusa 150K Populaire" brevet), so it should be pretty cool. Hopefully not cold, though! I'll probably want to wear my usual cycling shorts and my light jersey, and bring along a light polypro longsleeve just in case.
Old 07-06-09, 08:46 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,700 Times in 2,520 Posts
my guess is it will be cold. Use one of the weather sites and look at the temps. On my 600k at the end of May, I was miserably cold from midnight to 5 a.m. even though I was wearing a windbreaker and tights. I wished multiple times that I had worn full fingered gloves.

Sounds like a fun ride. Hope it works out for you, suffering is always a fallback position.
Old 07-07-09, 06:39 AM
akahn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wanted to also add in that the main issue I had on the ride was my saddle/butt/crotch/perineum. I have a Brooks B17 on the bike that is comfortable, but I would eventually get numb at the tips of my big toes, and later on in my crotch. Getting off the bike for a few minutes every hour or so relieved the numbness. I think pushing harder rather than just sitting on the saddle would alleviate some of the issue, but ultimately I think I'll try switching to something like a B17 Narrow or the Velo-Orange leather saddle that has a similar shape to a Brooks Swift.
Old 07-07-09, 07:16 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I wanted to also add in that the main issue I had on the ride was my saddle/butt/crotch/perineum. I have a Brooks B17 on the bike that is comfortable, but I would eventually get numb at the tips of my big toes, and later on in my crotch. Getting off the bike for a few minutes every hour or so relieved the numbness. I think pushing harder rather than just sitting on the saddle would alleviate some of the issue, but ultimately I think I'll try switching to something like a B17 Narrow or the Velo-Orange leather saddle that has a similar shape to a Brooks Swift.
Yes, if your handlebars are well below your seat, a narrow seat fits better.

I try to stand, and crank on the pedals while climbing, for about 3 minutes twice an hour. This provides improved blood circulation and also uses different leg muscles. You might find that this makes your seat discomfort more moderate.

Good shoes are key. Last year, I used low cost Shimano MTB shoes. I found these were not stiff enough and would cause a hot spot on the ball of my feet during longer rides. This forced me to sit with all my body weight on the saddle. Then my seat would become painful.

I upgraded to a pair of stiff road shoes with a carbon fiber soles. I now can put as much of my weight on my feet as needed without any hot spots on the ball of my feet. Now my saddle also feels better since my feet are supporting my weight to a significant extent.

Eat well & sleep well before the event, you will be fine.

Michael
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 07-07-09 at 03:29 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.