Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bought old road bike, need advice.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-09, 09:00 AM
nerd855

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought this old Schwinn World Sport for $27. It was one of the few used road bikes I could find in my size without having to buy new (48 cm) and was cheap so I won't be too upset if it gets stolen. I'm just going to be using it to get around campus and the surrounding areas (Austin). I know it needs new handle bar tape. The brakes work pretty well.

This is what it looks like after I put it together. Does anything look weird?

Also, it has "new" tires but I want to replace them since I think they are a cheap brand and they squeak whenever they rub against something. Any suggestions for affordable brands that are durable?

And the chain is too loose correct? And needs to be replaced? There is a weird clicking noise near the back tire when it's ridden and I think it might be the chain but I'm not sure.
Old 07-08-09, 09:02 AM
gv1256
angel in the snow

Bikes: panasonic dx 5000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
new chain, seat height. post in classic and vintage
Old 07-08-09, 09:08 AM
BroadSTPhilly
The Haberdasher

Bikes: Panasonic AL-7000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take it away. Take it away.

Seriously though classic and vintage or mechanic forum are your best bets for this.
Old 07-08-09, 09:13 AM
exRunner

Bikes: Panasonic 500

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I believe something is wrong with the cable routing and handlebar setup. The cables on mine do not stick up like that near the handlebars. Also, in general the top of the handlebars should be level, not the drops.

You are missing the Dork Disc on the back wheel. On that bike I would not leave home without it.

I wouldn't change the tires unless they are worn or cracked. They look fine to me in the picture.

A chain replacement and tune up would be worth the money, although that is a friction SIS shifter, and you can tolerate a lot of mis-adjustments and it still works fine, as long as it does not toss the chain.
Old 07-08-09, 09:51 AM
kimconyc
Señor Member

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R380 Ti | 2011 Hampsten Travelissimo Gran Paradiso Ti | 2001 De Rosa Neo Primato - Batik Del Monte, Genius | 1991 Eddy Merckx - Motorola, TSX

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
- Weird place to put the downtube shifters (on the stem).
- Did you put the seatpost that low?
- Bar tape is going to cost 1/3 of the price of the bike. Why bother?
- C&V forum
Old 07-08-09, 09:54 AM
kimconyc
Señor Member

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R380 Ti | 2011 Hampsten Travelissimo Gran Paradiso Ti | 2001 De Rosa Neo Primato - Batik Del Monte, Genius | 1991 Eddy Merckx - Motorola, TSX

Originally Posted by exRunner
I believe something is wrong with the cable routing and handlebar setup. The cables on mine do not stick up like that near the handlebars. Also, in general the top of the handlebars should be level, not the drops.
Welcome to pre-STI.
Old 07-08-09, 09:57 AM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by exRunner
Ummm..no. The cables coming out of the top of the brake levers is normal for a bike this age. And so are the handlebars.

Originally Posted by kimconyc
- Weird place to put the downtube shifters (on the stem).
- Bar tape is going to cost 1/3 of the price of the bike. Why bother?
Again...lots of older bikes had the shifters there...completely normal for this bike. And bar tape, though $6 at Performance, will do wonders for the feel and overall appearance of the bike.
Old 07-08-09, 10:35 AM
exRunner

Bikes: Panasonic 500

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 55/Rad
Ummm..no. The cables coming out of the top of the brake levers is normal for a bike this age. And so are the handlebars.
My 1985 Panasonic Sport 500 does not look like that, I have owned it since it was new, and I don't remember ever adjust the handlebars or the cable routing. However, a quick google search showes about as many bikes looking like the OPs as they do mine, so I suppose it depended on who was assembling it at the time.
Old 07-08-09, 11:00 AM
nerd855

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well sorry. It was a 50/50 choice between vintage and road and I figured the people on this board would for sure be able to tell me whats wrong with the road bike that I bought. I'm sorry if it's not some fancy $1k+ fijitrekspecialized bike bought new from an expensive LBS with special european parts. I dont know what I am looking for and I don't want to get hurt because something is not right. I don't know how to move a posting or get it moved. Do I just repost in the vintage forum?

It's old and rusty but it's still a road bike...

What do you mean by seat height? The seat should be level with the tops...? I forgot to take that into account when I tightened it but the seat has to stay where it is or brought up just like an inch or two otherwise I cant stand over it comfortably without being on the very tips of my toes. I think I can move the handlebars though.

I'm getting new tape because on one of the drops there is none and its coming off....
$9 isn't really going to bother me. I just can't dish out $500 for a new bike.

What's a Dork Disc?

Thank you for your help, though. =)

Last edited by nerd855; 07-08-09 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-08-09, 11:05 AM
MissKristen 
Go Buckeyes!

Bikes: Fuji road bike and a totally crap MTB that I use(d) for gnarly trail riding.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi there!

I'm going to move this to C&V so you can get a bit of their perspective.

- Videotape

R A D I O H E A D
Old 07-08-09, 11:06 AM
BroadSTPhilly
The Haberdasher

Bikes: Panasonic AL-7000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. We are all just jerks around here.

FWIW I started out riding a 1989 Panasonic AL-7000 which was a sweet alumnium race bike in its day. What you have there is a good starter road bike in my opinion. You will have fun riding it and eventually if you do get something else you will have a bike to practice repairs on. I would think about replacing the brake pads as well if the braking is marginal.
Old 07-08-09, 11:14 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
I like your bike. I think you will be fine with just some bar tape. The tires will wear in and stop making noises.

My advice is to get a bottle of Simple Green cleaner and a can of WD-40. Spray the bike down with the Simple Green and clean it up. Then spray anything that moves, the chain, brakes, derailleurs, etc., with WD-40. Wipe the bike down good and ride it. Should be a great ride for your purpose.
Old 07-08-09, 11:23 AM
jtgotsjets

Bikes: Miele Azsora, Kuwahara Cascade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Eeeehhhh, I wouldn't use wd40 on the chain and moving parts unless you had the intention of lubing it after. While for household purposes wd is good for lubrication, it's really meant as a water displacer (wd) and cleaner. Spraying it all over your chain will get the squeaks out for now but will contribute to future problems and wear.
Old 07-08-09, 11:27 AM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I can't believe that the road guys didn't notice the reason for the sagging chain is that it's on the small chainring and small gear in back. Shift one to the other side, and you'll see it tighten up. The cable routing is a bit odd for me at least, because it's behind the bars, not in front of. No big deal, but it's just for me, aesthetically, i like it in front better. The bars are fine. Good looking bike!
Old 07-08-09, 11:39 AM
jtgotsjets

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah I love the road guy that thought it was odd there were downtube shifters on the stem. My first thought without double checking the photos was, "that does seem odd"; it took me a moment to realize he was talking about regular ol' stem shifters.
Old 07-08-09, 11:40 AM
muccapazza
brain damaged bovine

Location: back on the dental floss ranch, wielding zircon encrusted tweezers

Bikes: Schwinn wrecked ol' Probe 1x2, 84 Bianchi Limited,Cannondale F400,Raleigh 20 folder,78 Schwinn LeTour III Fixed Gear,Redline Conquest Pro,71-73 Gitane TdF,Gitane Grand Sport de Luxe,78 Raleigh Super Course,80 Schwinn World Sport

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Secure that lawyer lever thingie on the front wheel down by the hub. I know they don't get caught in the spokes, just looks dangerous and wrong. Cleaned up and with some new bar tape and you've got yourself a sweet riding little bike. then go drop yourself some ignorant smug ******* butts. or don't, they can all go f themselves.

edit: jesus, can even say *******?
Old 07-08-09, 11:45 AM
kimconyc
Señor Member

Originally Posted by nerd855
What do you mean by seat height? The seat should be level with the tops...? I forgot to take that into account when I tightened it but the seat has to stay where it is or brought up just like an inch or two otherwise I cant stand over it comfortably without being on the very tips of my toes. I think I can move the handlebars though.

When you stand with your feet on the ground, it shouldn't matter how high the seat is; as long as you have clearance between the top-tube of the bike and your crotch you are fine.

I'm getting new tape because on one of the drops there is none and its coming off....
$9 isn't really going to bother me. I just can't dish out $500 for a new bike.

Cool.

What's a Dork Disc?

He was joking.
As someone else said, change to a lower gear (larger cog on the cassette) because you are probably going to experience chain rub where the gears are now.

The clicking sound might just be the freewheel.

Don't use WD40 on the chain. If you have no oil, just use vegetable oil--seriously.
Old 07-08-09, 11:45 AM
QuickDraw
Trout!

Bikes: Fuji Absolute of unknown age, Framed Gravier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah WD-40 is not a good idea, on a large charity ride recently, I felt like saying to a lot of people after hearing their drivetrain "you like wd-40 don't you?" it's ok for cleaning but make sure you follow up with some proper chain lube. the clicking from your rear wheel, could be from a whole host of things, hub, freewheel, spokes, chain, rim, tire, brakes, frame(are all possibilities). try to narrow it down and clean everyhing and re lube. You'll learn a lot about bikes in the process. that's a nice bike, if everything is adjusted properly, Just built up a nearly identical frame for a friend and he's quite happy with it. Enjoy your bike and ride in good health!
Old 07-08-09, 11:50 AM
nerd855

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, thanks guys.

I can't believe that the road guys didn't notice the reason for the sagging chain is that it's on the small chainring and small gear in back. Shift one to the other side
So move it to the one that's second closest to the outside of the bike? In the back where all of the gears are like in a row together? Sorry I dont know terminology. XD

If there is something wrong with the cables or whatnot they should find out about it during a tune up, right?

I think the breaks are okay. I stop almost immediately when I pull them (I've only used the ones where the tops are) and I've only ridden it twice like down the street and back. I am kinda weary about the safety since I put it together myself.

If I unscrew that thing circled in blue to wrap the bars it should screw back and work properly afterwards, right? Or do I not need to unscrew it at all, its a tight fit between the brakes and the bars though. Also, do I need to get that stuff off thats left from the old tape?

What are these things?

Secure that lawyer lever thingie on the front wheel down by the hub.
Is that what those things are? How do I secure them?

Eeeehhhh, I wouldn't use wd40 on the chain and moving parts unless you had the intention of lubing it after.
What sort of lube should I use? I dont think I have any wd40.
Old 07-08-09, 11:51 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12784 Post(s)
Liked 7,697 Times in 4,086 Posts
This thread makes me wonder if I accidentally got high. Non-aero brake levers and stem shifters are trippin' people out!!!!!

If it was my bike I'd get a new seat and new bar tape ASAP. I'd wait 'til the tires wore out to replace 'em. I have cheep Michelins on one of my wheelsets that squeal when I lean, but I try not to let that bother me.
Old 07-08-09, 11:58 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12784 Post(s)
Liked 7,697 Times in 4,086 Posts
I'd probably tilt the bars up a tad. You can clean the old bar tape adhesive with nail polish remover.
Old 07-08-09, 11:58 AM
nerd855

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When you stand with your feet on the ground, it shouldn't matter how high the seat is; as long as you have clearance between the top-tube of the bike and your crotch you are fine.
5' 1.6" so I guess I could say I was 5'2" but I barely clear the tube. I am kinda scared of not being able to put my feet on the ground from the seat. I'll try it higher, though. So as a standard placement should the tops be level with the seat?

If it was my bike I'd get a new seat and new bar tape ASAP.
Do all seats have the same diameter on the tube that you slide into the bike or are there different sizes?
Old 07-08-09, 12:00 PM
muccapazza
brain damaged bovine

Location: back on the dental floss ranch, wielding zircon encrusted tweezers

Bikes: Schwinn wrecked ol' Probe 1x2, 84 Bianchi Limited,Cannondale F400,Raleigh 20 folder,78 Schwinn LeTour III Fixed Gear,Redline Conquest Pro,71-73 Gitane TdF,Gitane Grand Sport de Luxe,78 Raleigh Super Course,80 Schwinn World Sport

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
This thread makes me wonder if I accidentally got high. Non-aero brake levers and stem shifters are trippin' people out!!!!!
I'm sure it was no accident.

To secure the safety tabs, just spin them up, the hole in the tab sits inside the screw that's visible inside the lower fork.
Old 07-08-09, 12:21 PM
jtgotsjets

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ok, so what are these safety/lawyer tabs all about? Never heard of them before.

IMHO, the very best investment you could make on this bike would be to take it in to your LBS and ask them to tune it up for you. Should run around $25 and will likely include cable replacement, chain lubing, brake adjustment, etc. If you buy handlebar tape there, they may even put it on for you. In other words, everything you're asking about. You might also ask if someone could help you get fitted for it, although ifthey want to charge extra for this, it may not be worth it. This will give you a very rideable, safe bike. From there you can begin riding more, and as you ride more, you'll be better able to decide what upgrades to make, if any. You can also begin learning about bike maintenance so you never have to pay that $25 again. The point is, its easier to learn to fix a bike if you have a working one to begin with, rather than something which needs all kinds of adjustments.

My two cents, anyway.
Old 07-08-09, 12:25 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Those were comments from Road Cycling, and over there, if it isn't on current road bikes at the LBS it is strange.

Of course here in C&V we may have opinions, but we aren't freaked out by such things.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.