Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling
Reload this Page >

A brief visit to Grand Bois bicycles outside Kyoto, Japan

Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-09, 05:10 AM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Am traveling in Japan and realized this morning that I was within range of the home of Grand Bois Bicycles, based at a bike shop outside Kyoto, Japan. (Am assuming some of you rando types know about Grand Bois from reading Bicycle Quarterly, or from purchasing the tires that Grand Bois has made under its lable by Panaracer).

Directions to the store are here -- it's a quick cab ride (or long walk) from the JR Rail Line station Hanazono, about 15 minutes from central Kyoto. (https://www.cyclesgrandbois.com/access/index.html)

Here's the store:

A customer rode up on a beautiful Grand Bois, and there was a Toei already in the rack next to it:

I met the owner/proprietor, Ikuo Tsuchiya, who was quite hospitable, though the shop was busy. We were able to communicate enough to get across the idea that I'd read about Grand Bois in Bicycle Quarterly (the editor, Jan Heine, owns a Grand Bois city bike he reviewed recently). Mr. Tsuchiya also appeared to have almost every issue of Bicycle Quarterly on a shelf in the office; when I mentioned I was from Seattle he recognized Davidson from their regular ads in BQ.

Inside, there were a couple of new Grand Bois bikes, which (after asking permission) I shot from outside:

The shop also does vintage restorations and sell used bikes. There was a spectacular mixte Rene Herse on the floor that Mr. Tsuchiya said he restored for a customer; it had a single chain ring up front and a single derailleur in rear to shift a four-cog rear hub. There was a beautiful vintage cream-colored Bianchi with a "Paris-Roubaix" decal on the downtube. Hanging from the rafters were two Alex Singers and another Rene Herse, along with a Masi Grand Criterium, a Colnago, a Frejus, etc.

Would love to have spent more time there, but I was sort of in the way on a busy Saturday and after paying my respects and thanking the owner again for this time, I was on my way...
Old 07-11-09, 09:45 AM
spokenword

Bikes: ANT Club Racer, 2004 Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
Am traveling in Japan and realized this morning that I was within range of the home of Grand Bois Bicycles, based at a bike shop outside Kyoto, Japan. (Am assuming some of you rando types know about Grand Bois from reading Bicycle Quarterly, or from purchasing the tires that Grand Bois has made under its lable by Panaracer).
nice, bengeboy! I also managed to make a stop there a few years ago while visiting Japan. I agree that Mr. Tsuchiya is a quite the nice, hospitable host. It's nice seeing photos again.

I should also say that cab and subway rides aside, there's also a bus stop close to the shop, and the route is such that it's easy to work a visit to Grand Bois in along with a trip to Ryoanji. A walk from Ryoanji, however, is a little long on narrowish sidewalks and is less than scenic.
Old 07-14-09, 04:19 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Thanks for posting, Benge!

Looks like rando heaven.

Did you get any chances to ride while over there?

my race videos
Old 07-14-09, 06:39 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Did you get any chances to ride while over there?
No, I didn't ride at all. I had researched places to rent bikes while I was there but really didn't find the time...I was waiting for the family to have a "rest day" when I would go out and bike but we were out doing stuff pretty much all the time.

I would love to tour around Japan by bike, btw - I think the way to do it would be on a folder so you can go bike where you want and then jump on a train if you want to skip to the next spot.
Old 07-15-09, 03:48 PM
visiondr
enthusiastic iconoclast

Bikes: Soma Double Cross

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Grand Bois and Toei bikes are very nice machines.
Thanks for sharing your story and photos.

~ Ron
Old 07-15-09, 05:59 PM
illwafer
)) <> ((

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
drool.