Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

First Century (GRR)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-11, 08:26 AM
WestMass

Bikes: 2020 Kona Rove ST, 2020 Kona Woo, 2013 Cannondale Caad 10 Rival, 2020 All-City Super Professional, 2023 Kona Honzo, 1991 Bridgestone CB-1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
First Century (GRR)

Hey folks,

I did my first century yesterday. Despite getting lost in the woods on a dirt road and riding an extra 13 miles, and getting a slow leak in my rear tire in the last 5 miles, things went really well! I averaged 15mph over 125 miles. Ride time 8:16, total time 9:44.

The Great River Ride was definitely the hardest physical challenge I've ever completed, and I'm pretty stoked on the prospect of completing some of the Berkshire Brevets in the spring.

Anyone else ride this yesterday??

https://newhorizonsbikes.com/articles...2011-pg161.htm

https://www.mapmyride.com/s/routes/vi...field/41708004
Old 10-10-11, 03:39 PM
spokenword

Bikes: ANT Club Racer, 2004 Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope to do the GRR 'one of these days'. Just hasn't quite fallen in line with my calendar since (I think) it's always on Columbus Day weekend and I usually have standing plans on that day. All the same, I heartily encourage folks to check out the Berkshire series. Not as much dirt as what you'd see on GRR or D2R2, but still some gorgeous terrain. The 400k to Saratoga Springs is one of my favorite rides in the area.
Old 10-11-11, 09:52 AM
Andrey
Senior Guest

Bikes: Jamis Endura, Cannondale CAAD, Raleigh Cross, Fausto Coppi.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 31 Posts
Congratulations!
I also rode the GRR. I was in relatively good shape for the ride after PBP this year, but all that climbing caused severe lower back pain. I did enjoy the route with no cars and beautiful views. I also liked the way the route was marked . I did not use the cue sheet and almost did not use the GPS. I did miss the first info. control though.

I did ride the 400k in Saratoga Spring this year, but, I think, John S. changed the usual route for the PBP. It just went on route 9 all the way to Canada and back, very flat.
A year ago I did the Saratoga 300k around the Sacandaga lake and it was way too many controls(11 or 12) and all(!) of them were "Stewart's" shops.
Old 10-11-11, 10:57 AM
spokenword

Bikes: ANT Club Racer, 2004 Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh sorry, for clarification, the Saratoga Springs 400k that I was referring to was the one that Don runs out of New Horizons, which goes from Westfield to Saratoga Springs by way of Lee, Stephenstown and Mechanicsville.
Old 10-11-11, 02:57 PM
Andrey
Senior Guest

Bikes: Jamis Endura, Cannondale CAAD, Raleigh Cross, Fausto Coppi.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 31 Posts
Have not done that one, maybe next year. I did the 600k though, it was beautiful !
Old 11-08-11, 06:31 AM
redliner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
great river ride

I did the GRR this year, too. Probably the 5th time I've done it.The weather this year was the best ever, by far. This is one of the best new england centuries. The scenery, the food, the challenge...it's tops. Next year, if you're looking for another tough century, try the Mt. Greylock Century. About the same total elevation, hotter weather. Close to the GRR area, it even shares the same road for a few miles in one place.