Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Preferred products: polishes, waxes, degreasers, etc

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-23, 03:51 PM
rwh63

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts

wondering what products (techniques as well) that you use to keep your whole bike clean and ready for play or show.
Old 06-24-23, 04:31 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I don't perform any cosmetic beauty treatments on my bikes.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 06-24-23, 04:42 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 1,017 Posts
I just sort of wipe it down when needed but don't use any special products.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 06-24-23, 05:04 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Dawn dish soap & water.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 06-24-23, 05:09 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10442 Post(s)
Liked 11,916 Times in 6,102 Posts
Simple Green on the drivetrain - don't soak, just spray on, use brushes to help dislodge the dirt, then wash off with copious water. Water with Dawn dish soap on the frame and wheels. You can use a Detailing spray on it, but DON'T let it get on your brake pads or braking surfaces! On raw Titanium, spray a little WD40 on a cloth and wipe the clean frame with it.

Originally Posted by wolfchild
I don't perform any cosmetic beauty treatments on my bikes.
Wolfchild's Helpful Hints.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-24-23, 11:04 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,213 Posts
wondering what products and techniques to keep your whole bike clean.

Don't ride in the rain.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 06-25-23, 12:07 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
I avoid using oil based lubricants on the drivetrain which significantly reduces the need to clean at all. I have to clean enough really dirty bikes at the co-op to get my cleaning fix. I reasonably certain that this person just uncapped a quart of 10W-40 and poured it over the bike on a weekly basis.

Simple Green is fairly ineffective in my experience. I found Armor All Extreme Wheel and Tire Cleaner works much better. Let it sit for a few minutes and even this bike came out much, much cleaner.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-25-23, 05:46 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
While I only wipe my frames clean locally, as in certain places at a time as called for and generally with water, a rag and/or mild window cleaner. I occasionally use some Blue Magic metal polish on some of my raw finish Specialized hubs from the 80's.

I've also found that WD-40(from the gallon cans) also makes for one all-in-one cleaner/polisher. After lubing my chain with it I'll occasionally wipe the stays and/or other tubes with it on a rag, Cleans polishes and lubes in one shot. Ahahahahahaaa ... very nice !

I use diesel or mineral spirits as a degreaser, which isn't very often and only for bearings.
Old 06-25-23, 05:54 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I did 75 miles in off and on drizzle yesterday and the bike and my legs were coated in debris like leaves, mud, worms.

I took the chain off and put it into mineral spirits, turned the crockpot of wax on, and washed the bike with hot water and Dawn detergent. I dried it. Then I took a shower and ate. At that point, I took the chain out, wiped the excess wax off, and reinstalled it. It is rare that I wax any of my bikes but I use the same automotive wax that I use on my cars. (I do not use a degreaser on my bikes because there is no grease to remove, ever)
Old 06-25-23, 01:37 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,921 Posts
For a detailed look, graphene with a matte finish.

so far, the carbon stuff hasn't exploded.
Old 06-25-23, 01:56 PM
trucklet
good cheap fun

Bikes: Too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 17 Posts
Pedro's Bike Lust is my favorite bike polish, Muc-Off Matte Finish Detailer works great and smells amazing, Finish Line or Muc-Off bike wash for general cleaning, and Finish Line Gear Floss is great for cassettes and freewheels if you're not taking off the drivetrain to soak or put in a parts cleaner. Mother's mag polish for shiny bits.
Old 06-25-23, 05:35 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
I wipe off road dust with a cotton rag and any household spray cleaner. I run the chain through the rag to keep it clean. Use the rag like floss to clean between the sprockets. I also will blow heavier debris away with my air compressor. I use Armorall on the hoods. Then I use a ceramic car wax on all surfaces, including the frame, chrome stay and lugs, and components—probably any quality wax would work, but I’m currently using Hydro Slick from Chemical Guys.
Old 06-26-23, 04:08 AM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
When I am cleaning old grease of drivetrain parts I use kerosene. If my chain gets noisy I put a bit of motor-oil on it. Sometimes I will wipe a few parts of a bike down with an cotton rag. I have an old can of chrome polish marked "Mopar" that is probably from around WWII, it still works to polish something if I am so inclined, but it is almost completely empty.
Old 06-26-23, 08:38 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax. Protects the finish and I'm guilty of liking a clean shiny bike. I've used Ballistol to clean chains because I have a lot of it on hand. Brush to clean between links and re-lube with Dumonde Tech Classic Lite.
Old 06-26-23, 08:45 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Squirt some Dawn in a bucket, add hot water, wash. Done. Good enough.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 06-26-23, 12:35 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I wipe off road dust with a cotton rag and any household spray cleaner. I run the chain through the rag to keep it clean. Use the rag like floss to clean between the sprockets. I also will blow heavier debris away with my air compressor. I use Armorall on the hoods. Then I use a ceramic car wax on all surfaces, including the frame, chrome stay and lugs, and components—probably any quality wax would work, but I’m currently using Hydro Slick from Chemical Guys.

for dust and similar - try a Swiffer dust cloth (instead of rags or paper towels etc)

Swiffer dust cloths are amazing for cleaning dust and loose dirt from bikes (frame, components, rims, etc) - and can also work well on lubricated drivetrain parts (chains, cogs, rings, RD pulley wheels, etc)

Swiffer cloths will also continue to work when they are fairly well used - so you can get multiple uses from one cloth

we ride on a fair amount of crushed limestone, gravel, and dirt trails and roads - so the bikes are often covered with a blanket or layer of the stuff ... Swiffer cloth is great for quickly removing that stuff

if you use a chain lube that does not attract or sheds dirt / dust fairly well - Swiffer cloth will remove whatever dust / dirt that did cling to the chain, cogs, and rings

Last edited by t2p; 06-26-23 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-26-23, 12:59 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
I use Pledge on my road bikes, I never wash them unless they get muddy/gritty. I let the mountain bike get pretty nasty before I wash it. I haven't washed it this year.
Don't think I washed my car this year, either.
Old 06-26-23, 01:02 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
For regular between-ride cleaning, I hose my bike off and wipe it down with an old t-shirt. Anything too sticky to come off with just water, I use Simple Green. For deeper cleaning of drivetrain parts, I like Muc-Off Drivetrain Cleaner.
Old 06-26-23, 01:15 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
I've been using Muc-Off bike cleaner the last few years. Seems to work well. Pedros Bike Lust is incredible for shining up your bike, but I almost never do that. I use Pedros biodegradable solvent-free degreaser to clean my drivetrain. Finish it off with some Muc-Off dry lube. One of these days I'll try immersion wax. Maybe.
Old 06-26-23, 01:57 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
I've been using Muc-Off bike cleaner the last few years. Seems to work well. Pedros Bike Lust is incredible for shining up your bike, but I almost never do that. I use Pedros biodegradable solvent-free degreaser to clean my drivetrain. Finish it off with some Muc-Off dry lube. One of these days I'll try immersion wax. Maybe.
I've been using Silca Super Secret drip wax for a little while now. I like it as a lube. I like it even better for not being messy when I'm working on my bikes.
Old 06-26-23, 03:22 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
For chain degreasing, I use whatever kind of commercial degreaser the store has when I go buy it. That is Zep right now.

I put it in one of those bicycle specific chain scrubber thingies and pedal backwards for about a minute.

I rinse, let it dry, then apply Finish Line dry chain lube.

For washing, I use commercial car wash. The same stuff I use on my truck. I rinse, then apply Lucas Slick Mist Marine Speed Wax. It is sprayed on a wet surface, followed by a quick towel dry.

The Lucas Speed Wax is one of the best products I have ever used. I'll never paste wax again. It only lasts about half as long as paste wax, but it takes about 1/10 the time to apply.