Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

One spacer can make a huge difference...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-23, 07:52 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts

I had two spacers on my headset for a while. I was able to ride long distance comfortably with this handlebar position. But in the back of my mind, I wanted to lower the handlebar further. I thought it was cooler.

So I decided to take one of the remaining spacers out. I was thinking "It's just 5 mm. It may not look that much cooler, but what have I got to lose?"

As it turned out, I lost comfort.

I mean, I am still able to ride fairly comfortably for an hour or so, but the longer I ride, the more discomfort it gives me. I get stiff neck and shoulders. My hands get a bit numb. None of those happened with my previous setup.

I've put the spacer back in.

Lesson: Work on strengthening my core and stretching my hamstrings fruther before I make an attempt like this.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Likes For daihard:
Old 06-29-23, 08:34 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Do what works for you. 68 years old, with arthritis in my neck, shoulders, and wrists, my handlebars have been migrating up for several years already.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 06-29-23, 08:44 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
My fit actually got more comfortable after I removed some spacers. And yes it is surprising how small looking these changes can be, and still have a noticeable effect.
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 06-29-23, 09:33 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
I call 5 m a lot. And I find that 1mm of spacer = (for me) 2mm of horizontal stem length. So 5mm is the next (whole cm) size up in stem length. You might want to try a 2 and 3mm spacers. Put the 2mm on top. See how that goes. If you get used to it, you might find you want to swap the spacers and go down another mm later this summer.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 06-29-23, 09:49 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I call 5 m a lot. And I find that 1mm of spacer = (for me) 2mm of horizontal stem length. So 5mm is the next (whole cm) size up in stem length. You might want to try a 2 and 3mm spacers. Put the 2mm on top. See how that goes. If you get used to it, you might find you want to swap the spacers and go down another mm later this summer.
Taking smaller steps is a great idea. The only issue is that my bike has a proprietary headset, Future Shock, that has a larger diameter than the standard headset. It means I can't use third-partty spacers. Dang.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 06-30-23, 09:20 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6199 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
Craning your neck will make your neck and shoulders ache.

You should check out and make certain your helmet isn't blocking your view down the road and forcing you to lift your head higher than is necessary. I had to get a new helmet that didn't come so low on my brow and had adjustments to keep the front edge of it from blocking my vision when I lifted my eyes to see ahead.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-30-23, 10:37 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3957 Post(s)
Liked 7,310 Times in 2,950 Posts
A 5mm spacer made a huge difference? That's serious "Princess and the Pea" territory.
Old 06-30-23, 10:49 AM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by Iride01
Craning your neck will make your neck and shoulders ache.

You should check out and make certain your helmet isn't blocking your view down the road and forcing you to lift your head higher than is necessary. I had to get a new helmet that didn't come so low on my brow and had adjustments to keep the front edge of it from blocking my vision when I lifted my eyes to see ahead.
A light-bulb moment! I've got a detachable visor on my helmet, which blocks my view when I look down. Since I wear sunglasses while riding now, I don't need the visor. I will try riding without it and see how it goes.

Thank you for the suggestion!

Old 06-30-23, 11:38 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10444 Post(s)
Liked 11,923 Times in 6,105 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
A 5mm spacer made a huge difference? That's serious "Princess and the Pea" territory.
I think that might depend on how close to your lower limit you were. I know 5mm can make a big difference in saddle setback or saddle height, not to mention in crank length.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-30-23, 11:43 AM
soyabean

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
There are no rules.

Just because it didn't work for the OP, doesn't mean it's illegal.

A lot of folks, including I, love our bar totally slammed down as low as possible. Sorry it didn't work for the OP.

There's also a reason why headset speakers can go as low as 1mm, so a rider can adjust as granular as possible, as 5mm spacers are a common generic size.

Nothing to see here. Carry on.
Likes For soyabean:
Old 06-30-23, 11:53 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
There's also a reason why headset speakers can go as low as 1mm, so a rider can adjust as granular as possible, as 5mm spacers are a common generic size.

I use Zeno's Paradox brand spacers. 10 mm, 5 mm, 2.5 mm, 1.25 mm, etc. - the infinite assortment. The box the spacers come in takes up surprisingly little room.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 06-30-23, 11:55 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10444 Post(s)
Liked 11,923 Times in 6,105 Posts
Originally Posted by daihard
A light-bulb moment! I've got a detachable visor on my helmet, which blocks my view when I look down. Since I wear sunglasses while riding now, I don't need the visor. I will try riding without it and see how it goes.

Thank you for the suggestion!
For years, I didn't really think about my back and shoulders when riding, but a couple years ago I finally realized that with my lack of flexibility (can barely get past mid-calf trying to touch my toes), that I need to keep my back mostly straight and roll my pelvis forward rather than curving my back. I've found that this relieves a lot of the neck/shoulder pain I used to have, from hunching my back and thus having to bend my neck up a lot. Now, with a straight back, I have no problem keeping my head up, even when riding in the drops or aero hoods, and I'm still keeping the same 8-10cm of saddle-bar drop.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles

Last edited by genejockey; 06-30-23 at 05:52 PM.
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-30-23, 01:25 PM
soyabean

Originally Posted by Trakhak
I use Zeno's Paradox brand spacers. 10 mm, 5 mm, 2.5 mm, 1.25 mm, etc.
You should have continued the list, I have a 0.6mm in my parts bin
Likes For soyabean:
Old 06-30-23, 02:30 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by genejockey
For years, I didn't really think about my back and shoulders when riding, but a couple years ago I finally realized that with my lack of flexibility (can barely get past mid-calf trying to touch my toes), that I need to keep my back mostly straight and roll my pelvis forward rather than curving my back. I've found that this relieves a lot of the neck/shoulder pain I use do have, from hunching my back and thus having to bend my neck up a lot. Now, with a straight back, I have no problem keeping my head up, even when riding in the drops or aero hoods, and I'm still keeping the same 8-10cm of saddle-bar drop.
Thanks for your insight. Yeah, that makes perfect sense. In fact I've read something similar elsewhere, too. I just haven't been diligent about doing that. Another check box for me!

Old 06-30-23, 05:14 PM
soyabean

Originally Posted by genejockey
I need to keep my back mostly straight and roll my pelvis forward rather than curving my back. I've found that this relieves a lot of the neck/shoulder pain I use do have, from hunching my back and thus having to bend my neck up a lot. Now, with a straight back, I have no problem keeping my head up, even when riding in the drops or aero hoods, and I'm still keeping the same 8-10cm of saddle-bar drop.
Agreed.

Exactly why folks need to pay attention to their saddle and its angle that will allow the pelvis to be forward.

I love my saddles tilted to the rear because it allows me to ride upright in comfort. Lowering that seatpost to compensate for a low bar is wrong here, instead I needed to raise and tilt a saddle forward to achieve as you explained above.
Likes For soyabean:
Old 06-30-23, 05:44 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 412 Posts
Now 73 my bars have migrated up just like John D Thompson over the last three years but my arthritis is mostly back, thumbs, knees. It has helped.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 07-01-23, 05:51 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
I use Zeno's Paradox brand spacers.
I keep planning to visit that website but I never quite make it.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 07-01-23, 07:47 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
The older I get, the more micro adjustments make a difference.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 07-01-23, 09:04 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 1,438 Times in 819 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
The older I get, the more micro adjustments make a difference.

Indeed, I have head set spacers 2mm up to 20mm. My bars and seat posts have been in transition for a number of years. I also have found the angle of the of the bars, and the location of levers has changed a bit for my comfort. I am now using either drop bars with very short drop and reach, or, I have V-O Porteur bars on 2 bikes. These changes have been a big plus for stress relief on my spine and shoulders, and have been huge in easing problems with arthritic thumbs.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 07-01-23, 11:11 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

There are no rules.

Just because it didn't work for the OP, doesn't mean it's illegal.

A lot of folks, including I, love our bar totally slammed down as low as possible. Sorry it didn't work for the OP.

I use Zeno's Paradox brand spacers. 10 mm, 5 mm, 2.5 mm, 1.25 mm, etc. - the infinite assortment. The box the spacers come in takes up surprisingly little room.
I actually looked for third-party spacers compatible with the Specialized Future Shock headset, which has a larger diameter than the standard headset. I have been out of luck. Bike Sauce does sell custom Future Shock compatible spacers, but they're 5 mm as well, just made of different material.

Old 07-02-23, 06:10 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts

The main reason for the tiny spacers is so you don’t have to cut your steerer tube mm perfect.

But if 1 mm makes all the difference for your fit it must be a nightmare swapping bikes!
Old 07-02-23, 06:21 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
I wonder how the “micro-adjusters” compensate for our typical 10 mm height variation during the day? It seems like more of a mind game to me. Eddy Merckx was always reported to be fiddling about with his saddle height before (and even during) races. So I guess they are in good company.
Old 07-02-23, 06:54 AM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
I am 61 years old and I say if you do not use it you lose it. Took my Huffy Time-Trial bike for a 24 mile group ride the other day on the drops and it was as comfortable as ever. If you relax and run low bars for a month or so you get used to them. Aero position for top speed;

Thumbs-up to the camera guy;

Old 07-02-23, 10:34 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3957 Post(s)
Liked 7,310 Times in 2,950 Posts
This thread needs a disclaimer about disturbing images. I threw up in my mouth a little with those last few photos, and I just can't get the images out of my head. It's kind of like walking in on your grandparents having sex -- no one should ever see that.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-02-23, 12:39 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
No, no it's not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.