Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I'm not a fan of slapping a motor on a bike but

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-23, 10:48 PM
abdon 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 249 Posts

I must say I'm mesmerized by the total package they pulled here.

Old 11-24-23, 11:46 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
Quite the cruiser. Not sure I'd want to ride it, but I admire it.
Old 11-24-23, 11:55 PM
Small cog

Bikes: Vintage Raleigh and more modern Roberts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 57 Posts
A "new old" autocycle.
Old 11-25-23, 12:00 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
I'm really lusting after one of these. They are reproductions of board track racers from way back when (1920' and 1930's). So, they are very C&V.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 11-25-23 at 12:03 AM.
Old 11-25-23, 12:53 AM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 228 Posts
Are those the ones with cutout switches on top?
Old 11-25-23, 01:35 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,869 Times in 1,439 Posts
This is almost 2024. Time to go electric.

Old 11-25-23, 08:25 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
Quite the cruiser. Not sure I'd want to ride it, but I admire it.
Schwinn and Whizzer made a lot of them. I’ve ridden one that is similar to this model. It was started by simply pedaling. It was great fun but the whole time I kept thinking “I’m going to die!” while having a stupid grin plastered on my face. If I recall correctly it only had a coaster brake for stopping. That’s when the “I’m going to die!” really kicked in.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 11-25-23, 10:22 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,754 Times in 966 Posts
In my archives I have a picture of a Schwinn exercise bike converted to bicycle motorized with a wizzer. It came out quite well, he used a 3 speed grip shifter for the throttle, springer front end
Old 11-25-23, 10:40 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 267 Posts
We've had two home made gas engine bikes come in to the shop for repairs. We refused to work on either of them and had the customers immediately take them out of the shop. They both had oil/gas leaks which started dripping on our floor, shop immediately reeked of gasoline. One bike was using a two liter soda bottle as the gas tank which was bungi corded to the rear rack and silicone/??? used to seal the hosing lines. The other was barely bolted to the frame and looked like it was going to fall off. We did not want the liablity nor did we want a tank of gas sitting in our shop. We had both riders take the bikes outside and show us how they ran. While they did run it was very sketchy and I'd not ride one of them on a dare, bet or paid to...very dangerous. Both used rim brakes which were in rough shape. Both spewed blue smoke out the exhaust in large, smelly clouds. They were also so loud it was awful.
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 11-25-23, 10:46 AM
Mr. 66

The blue smoke is normal for the 2 cycle motor fuel oil mix.
Old 11-25-23, 11:07 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
The blue smoke is normal for the 2 cycle motor fuel oil mix.
The original Whizzer motor was a 4 stroke engine according to this history. Cheap knockoffs were 2 stroke.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 11-25-23, 11:56 AM
chain_whipped

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K

This outstanding bike was at the MADE show in Portland. Styling que from various balloon era bikes and motorcycle. The Coloral bottles to mimic a V twin is fitting!
Old 11-25-23, 11:58 AM
notenoughdaylig 

Bikes: atala cromor salsa las cruces slingshot boomtube merckx mxm

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts

love the bike but does anyone else think the saddle looks out of place?
Likes For notenoughdaylig:
Old 11-25-23, 12:13 PM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 395 Posts
A buddy of my son has one that is built on an industrial Worksman bicycle frame. Kinda a small industry around these. Originally no front brake and only a crude friction one on the rear tire. He got a different fork incorporating a drum brake. It is 4 stroke and loud and probably capable of 40 mph. I haven’t seen it since he got the new fork, but a real front brake is way better. Lots of engine braking too he says. Looks dangerous though.

Likes For sd5782:
Old 11-25-23, 02:36 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by notenoughdaylig
love the bike but does anyone else think the saddle looks out of place?
Yes. It needs to be one of those saddles with springs at all corners, like a Brooks B33.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 11-25-23, 03:06 PM
RichSPK

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 92 Posts
There are these:
https://www.vintageelectricbikes.com/pages/our-bike
Old 11-26-23, 12:24 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,869 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by chain_whipped
This outstanding bike was at the MADE show in Portland.
Yep, that's where I took the picture.
Old 11-26-23, 07:22 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 407 Posts
In the post #1 photo, the frame has a "tank" but apparently there's a fuel tank on the rear rack? The didn't/wouldn't/couldn't make the frame tank functional?

Old 11-26-23, 08:27 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by tiger1964
In the post #1 photo, the frame has a "tank" but apparently there's a fuel tank on the rear rack? The didn't/wouldn't/couldn't make the frame tank functional?
The “frame tank” on Schwinn and other bikes of that era was mostly a useless affectation. They may have had horns and batteries but to actually build one that could be sealed to carry fuel would have been difficult and costly. The Schwinn in the photo wasn’t built for an engine. The engine was adapted to it. You can still buy these kinds of engine add ons today. Heck, if you want to risk life and limb, Amazon sells the kit for a staggering $64.99

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 11-26-23, 09:19 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7352 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,439 Posts
It's 2023 as I write this, and I think putting an internal combustion engine (ICE) on a bike is rather unconscionable. Those cheap kits are insanely loud, and the thought of the fumes -- which are not probably directionally controlled -- is a bit upsetting. We are adopting electric cars rather quickly now, and while there are still valid reasons for using an ICE car, I can't see much reason for an ICE two-wheeled vehicle and plenty not to use one.

New York City, where I grew up and now live, has had a whole lot of delivery bicycles ever since it was technologically possible. In recent years, the fixed gear bike has been replaced with the cheap electric bicycle with a throttle. Now we are seeing a lot of electric cargo bikes of many shapes. Some could even be called trucks, though even the three- and four-wheeled varieties are very narrow compared with cars. Their space efficiency and energy efficiency is proving to beat out trucks for delivery. The city is changing the layouts of streets and roads to accommodate small delivery vehicles so we can have fewer of the big ones. I'm glad about this, and I feel we are not making these changes fast enough.

The styling of the photo that started this thread is admirable because it hearkens back to old days, but I don't want to live in those days anymore.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 11-26-23, 09:35 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 1,680 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
It's 2023 as I write this, and I think putting an internal combustion engine (ICE) on a bike is rather unconscionable. Those cheap kits are insanely loud, and the thought of the fumes -- which are not probably directionally controlled -- is a bit upsetting. We are adopting electric cars rather quickly now, and while there are still valid reasons for using an ICE car, I can't see much reason for an ICE two-wheeled vehicle and plenty not to use one.

New York City, where I grew up and now live, has had a whole lot of delivery bicycles ever since it was technologically possible. In recent years, the fixed gear bike has been replaced with the cheap electric bicycle with a throttle. Now we are seeing a lot of electric cargo bikes of many shapes. Some could even be called trucks, though even the three- and four-wheeled varieties are very narrow compared with cars. Their space efficiency and energy efficiency is proving to beat out trucks for delivery. The city is changing the layouts of streets and roads to accommodate small delivery vehicles so we can have fewer of the big ones. I'm glad about this, and I feel we are not making these changes fast enough.

The styling of the photo that started this thread is admirable because it hearkens back to old days, but I don't want to live in those days anymore.
Well put tom! I am thrilled with the way last mile delivery is going electric these days. Can't wait till it's affordable for all and we can quit using gas in the city.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 11-26-23, 09:42 AM
Mr. 66

I found the pictures, here is the stationary bike convert. Lol

I don't have the before pictures, it was a coppertone with the heavy steel wheel like this.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 11-26-23, 10:14 AM
cyccommute 

Just to be clear, I’m not endorsing motorizing a bicycle. It’s a stupid idea…and it’s stupidly fun to ride for about 15 minutes. I was just pointing out that the kits are out there.

Frankly, I include electric motors in the above statement. Back when I was 30, I knew loads and loads and loads of old people who were fully capable of riding bicycles under their own power. Several of them were in their 60s and a couple took up mountain biking…off-road, single track, technical trails…in their 80s. Old people don’t need electric bikes and young people don’t need them either. Lazy gits!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 11-26-23, 10:43 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7352 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
Well put tom! I am thrilled with the way last mile delivery is going electric these days. Can't wait till it's affordable for all and we can quit using gas in the city.
I don't own a car. Until August, my spouse owned two. They both died that month. She bought one new car to replace them both, a Tesla Model Y. I've driven it a fair bit. There are some things about it I don't like, but overall, I like it. There are some problems with electric cars, but they're being worked out, and I can see that this is the future. I'm still opposed to building our society so dependent on cars, and that's one reason I refuse to own one, but if you have to have a car, and if it's feasible to have an electric one, it's a good idea.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 11-26-23, 10:46 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 1,680 Posts
I don't own a car. Until August, my spouse owned two. They both died that month. She bought one new car to replace them both, a Tesla Model Y. I've driven it a fair bit. There are some things about it I don't like, but overall, I like it. There are some problems with electric cars, but they're being worked out, and I can see that this is the future. I'm still opposed to building our society so dependent on cars, and that's one reason I refuse to own one, but if you have to have a car, and if it's feasible to have an electric one, it's a good idea.
My only issue with electric cars is they don't make a utilitarian version like my entry level Honda fit. The day that happens I will be very tempted. Meanwhile I drive the fit when needed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.