Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Eroica California , Sept 22. 2024. No Complaining Thread.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-24, 02:28 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts

L'Eroica California Announced for Sunday , September 22 , 2024

There's been Enough complaining and negativity about this Event in the past. If you feel the need to Post negative Comments and Criticism feel free to go create your own Thread. This Thread is for those attending or wishing to attend this years Event .

We dont have a lot of options when it comes to Vintage Cycling Events so Im Very glad to hear this Vintage Cycling event is going to be held in California Again .

https://eroica.cc/en/california

Last edited by Manny66; 02-01-24 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-02-24, 03:45 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
This news will get me off my butt and working on my Le Champion. After last year, I promised myself I’d ride future EroicaCA with unEroica gears but now I have a Nuovo Record bike like the cool kids
Old 02-02-24, 03:53 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Wah Hoo!
Likes For Bad Lag:
Old 02-03-24, 11:22 PM
cyclic_eric

Bikes: 1984 Gitane TdF, 1986 Look Équipe, 1983 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 80 Posts
I'll be joining you gents! It's nice to have a goal. 7 months to get ready.
I'm auditioning for a pit crew...

Last edited by cyclic_eric; 02-04-24 at 12:20 AM. Reason: for fun
Likes For cyclic_eric:
Old 02-04-24, 01:07 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Can I complain about the fact that no complaints are allowed?

I'm glad it looks like the event is on. The positives of Eroica CA (pretty roads, great people to ride with, tons of bike eye-candy to ogle at) have always outweighed any issues, and I have every intention of going again this year. Plus, my wife always enjoys tagging along for a weekend in Cambria and environs. See you all there.
Old 02-04-24, 04:19 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Can I complain about the fact that no complaints are allowed?

I'm glad it looks like the event is on. The positives of Eroica CA (pretty roads, great people to ride with, tons of bike eye-candy to ogle at) have always outweighed any issues, and I have every intention of going again this year. Plus, my wife always enjoys tagging along for a weekend in Cambria and environs. See you all there.

It'll be good to see there again Buddy !! And I concur, the Camaraderie of the Old Bikes is what makes the whole event worthwhile.
Likes For Manny66:
Old 02-04-24, 04:45 PM
WaveyGravey

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts
Went to the website and read the requirements for bicycles, equipment and accessories. Appears that everything must be 1987 or older.

Is there a division for participants with newer bicycles, clothing and accessories?
Old 02-04-24, 04:49 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,296 Times in 1,283 Posts
Me three! I’m in for the count. Let’s make it a great event. It is up to us and it is hard to be on the central California coast with a bunch of really cool bikes and people without having an excellent time. O K now that the positive affirmations are dealt with , can I complain now? 😁 I’ll think of something…..hmmm, see y’all there
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 02-04-24, 06:19 PM
Andrew_G 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by WaveyGravey
Went to the website and read the requirements for bicycles, equipment and accessories. Appears that everything must be 1987 or older. Is there a division for participants with newer bicycles, clothing and accessories?

Admittedly, the Eroica-CA website needs some updating. That said, see sections 6.1, 6.2 and 6.3 here: https://eroica.cc/en/california/regulation

If you have a newer bicycle which meets Eroica requirements then you're good to go: Classic style, 7 cogs or fewer on the back end, toe clips & strap pedals, down tube shifters, non-aero rims with 32+ spokes.

Vintage saddles are encouraged but not required. It's the same with clothing; wool is preferred but modern fabric clothes are OK as long as they look classic. I'd skip the splash-style handlebar tape, as well as splash-style or neon-color jerseys.

Eroica-CA has not been as rigorous as Eroica-IT for enforcing the rules, but clipless pedals are a definite no-no unless you need them per a doctor's note, and get pre-approval. I know of one individual who got clipless pedal approval in advance of the event.
Old 02-04-24, 09:01 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Originally Posted by WaveyGravey
Went to the website and read the requirements for bicycles, equipment and accessories. Appears that everything must be 1987 or older.

Is there a division for participants with newer bicycles, clothing and accessories?
Yes, the Nova Eroica ride on Saturday is for pretty whatever you want to ride, with the exception of e-bikes.

As mentioned, the rules are not strictly enforced for the classical Eroica CA rides. I've been to the all and have never seen a bike inspection or anyone turned away. I use aero brake levers because I have to be able to brake from the hoods and aero levers do that better. I also use modern Kool Stop brake pads because they work better. (I love the old stuff, but I draw the line at feeling safe.) Nobody so much as bats an eye. Be judicious, don't do it in the street and scare the horses, and you'll be fine.
Old 02-05-24, 10:19 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,803 Times in 2,286 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
I use aero brake levers because I have to be able to brake from the hoods and aero levers do that better. I also use modern Kool Stop brake pads because they work better. (I love the old stuff, but I draw the line at feeling safe.) Nobody so much as bats an eye. Be judicious, don't do it in the street and scare the horses, and you'll be fine.
Aero brake levers are specifically allowed as an addendum for the California ride. I'd try and find the online section, but I'm not allowed to complain about the website here.
Old 02-05-24, 10:40 AM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 288 Posts
Sweet! Glad it's still happening. Have been to every single iteration of the Eroica and Nova Eroica in California. Never disappoints. I love Central Cali!
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 02-05-24, 12:32 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew_G
Admittedly, the Eroica-CA website needs some updating. That said, see sections 6.1, 6.2 and 6.3 here: https://eroica.cc/en/california/regulation

If you have a newer bicycle which meets Eroica requirements then you're good to go: Classic style, 7 cogs or fewer on the back end, toe clips & strap pedals, down tube shifters, non-aero rims with 32+ spokes.

Vintage saddles are encouraged but not required. It's the same with clothing; wool is preferred but modern fabric clothes are OK as long as they look classic. I'd skip the splash-style handlebar tape, as well as splash-style or neon-color jerseys.

Eroica-CA has not been as rigorous as Eroica-IT for enforcing the rules, but clipless pedals are a definite no-no unless you need them per a doctor's note, and get pre-approval. I know of one individual who got clipless pedal approval in advance of the event.
I don't see any specifications about the number of gears/cogs in 6.1 regulations. Bar-end shifters are also explicitly allowed as long as they're not indexed. As I interpret the rules, you either need a pre-1987 bike or frame, or a more modern steel frame that's either lugged or fillet brazed.

That said, as others have pointed out, the enforcement of 6.1 is lax if not absent. You're choosing to participate in a vintage ride, so I wouldn't personally push it too far, but if you have a bike that's mostly compliant and you don't want to change anything, no one's going to stop you. At the very worst, you won't get the little stamped card that proves participation. No one's going to kick you off the course. On the other hand, it would seem a little off or weird to show up with something blatantly modern.
Likes For mhespenheide:
Old 02-05-24, 12:59 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,296 Times in 1,283 Posts
Not complaining but still no updates....... just waiting .
Old 02-05-24, 01:29 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Originally Posted by gugie
Aero brake levers are specifically allowed as an addendum for the California ride. I'd try and find the online section, but I'm not allowed to complain about the website here.
You mean I'm not fudging the rules even a little bit? Well, that's disappointing.
Old 02-05-24, 02:42 PM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew_G

At a pre-fairground Paso edition I saw a very famous constructor of bikes…frames and components … with toe clips and straps attached to his shoes as camouflage to the fact he was riding clipless pedals. Game was only given away when he was off bike and walking around with his pedals still seemingly attached to his feet … classic, almost Nascar-level cheating.
Old 02-05-24, 09:33 PM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by mhespenheide
I don't see any specifications about the number of gears/cogs in 6.1 regulations. Bar-end shifters are also explicitly allowed as long as they're not indexed. As I interpret the rules, you either need a pre-1987 bike or frame, or a more modern steel frame that's either lugged or fillet brazed.
You are correct. In fact, since L'Eroica put their name on a 10sp (with compact crank) Bianchi they are essentially approving of using more than 8 gears in the back. It is advertised as "certified to ride in all L'Eroica events".

https://www.bianchi.com/store/es_EN/...compact-6.html

Originally Posted by Markeologist
At a pre-fairground Paso edition I saw a very famous constructor of bikes…frames and components … with toe clips and straps attached to his shoes as camouflage to the fact he was riding clipless pedals. Game was only given away when he was off bike and walking around with his pedals still seemingly attached to his feet … classic, almost Nascar-level cheating.
I saw him as well....it gave me a good laugh.
Old 02-05-24, 11:36 PM
Andrew_G 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 66 Posts
In 2016, when I built my bike for Eroica-CA, I paid rigorous attention to the EC bike configuration rules. At that time, the requirements were for down tube shifters and 7 cogs maximum on the rear end, as well as exposed brake cables (out the top of the levers). Then the Bianchi Eroica bike came along and thus partially negated those rules. Eroica rule changes followed afterwards; I don't know when.

Last edited by Andrew_G; 02-07-24 at 01:02 AM.
Old 02-05-24, 11:58 PM
cyclic_eric

Bikes: 1984 Gitane TdF, 1986 Look Équipe, 1983 Colnago Super

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 80 Posts
I ride year-round with clipless pedals, but I didn't find it to be much of an issue to switch to clips and straps for the ride.
I did have to stop and walk ~30 yards up a steep dirt hill last time, but that was when I rode the full century (102 miles).
They don't call it a Heroic ride for nothing, right?

But in 2022, I did have a modern saddle - plastic and leather, with a cutout. No one said a darn thing. And, my rear derailleur was from the 90's, when Campy finally copied the drop-slant parallelogram design.
Gosh, I guess I had modern grippy-rubber bar tape. Shame on me. Mostly everyone wants to have a good time, admire the style of bikes we rode in back-in-the-day, and enjoy the scene.

This year I think I'll tone it down to a social ~20 to 30 mile ride along the coast on Saturday, and then ride ~60 miles on Sunday.
This maybe impossible - but perhaps a bunch of us could agree on the rides?? Maybe on Saturday ride Cambria to Ragged Point and back, then on Sunday that longer Touroica ride: Cambria to Cayucos, but staying on Old Creek Road, up to 46 and cross over to Santa Rosa Creek Road, and back to Cambria?

What do you think? We have spring and summer to train...
Old 02-06-24, 12:12 AM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Originally Posted by cyclic_eric
This maybe impossible - but perhaps a bunch of us could agree on the rides?? Maybe on Saturday ride Cambria to Ragged Point and back, then on Sunday that longer Touroica ride: Cambria to Cayucos, but staying on Old Creek Road, up to 46 and cross over to Santa Rosa Creek Road, and back to Cambria?

What do you think? We have spring and summer to train...
I'm unlikely to make it this year, but when the food and water stops are working, it's a great ride in a great area.
Old 02-06-24, 12:14 AM
mhespenheide 

The aforementioned constructor was also riding alongside Andy Hampsten, who brought one of his Giro-winning 7-11 bikes (or at least one from that era). Andy was riding the Shimano copies of the Look pedals from the time.

I supposed when you win a Giro, there's some flexibility in the rules, eh?!
Old 02-06-24, 09:24 AM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by mhespenheide
The aforementioned constructor was also riding alongside Andy Hampsten, who brought one of his Giro-winning 7-11 bikes (or at least one from that era). Andy was riding the Shimano copies of the Look pedals from the time.

I supposed when you win a Giro, there's some flexibility in the rules, eh?!
I remember Andy’s participation…my wife and I stayed another night in Paso, most folks had left town and it was pretty quiet. We walked over to have dinner at a small establishment not far off square and Andy was having dinner there too.
Likes For Markeologist:
Old 02-06-24, 10:13 AM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 288 Posts
I remember Andy’s participation…my wife and I stayed another night in Paso, most folks had left town and it was pretty quiet. We walked over to have dinner at a small establishment not far off square and Andy was having dinner there too.
I remember meeting him that year... I said, "Wow, Mr. Hampsten, it's an honor." He replied, "My dad's Mr. Hampsten; just call my Andy." What a nice, humble man.
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 02-06-24, 11:45 AM
Manny66 

Myself and Bert ,the Rancho Cucamonga Vintage ride organizer, were discussing doing the Cino-Eroica double this year . Starting in Los Angeles and making the road trip to Cino ,and then back to L.A. area in time for Eroica California in Cambria. Its alot of driving ,but road tripping thru Utah and Idaho doesnt sound like a bad idea at all.

Last edited by Manny66; 02-06-24 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-07-24, 12:33 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Originally Posted by Caliwild
I remember meeting him that year... I said, "Wow, Mr. Hampsten, it's an honor." He replied, "My dad's Mr. Hampsten; just call my Andy." What a nice, humble man.
At the dinner of the first Eroica CA in Paso Robles (one of the ones where we had the temerity to actually walk on the grass), Andy Hampsten was brought up on stage to help with the auction. He was, of course, asked about the famous Gavia stage and how he was able to make it through such horrible conditions. His first words in response were: "Well, I was being paid . . . ."

Great answer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.