Go Back  Bike Forums > The Market Place > For Sale
Reload this Page >

1989 Yakota Legend

Search
Notices
For Sale Items for sale, bicycle and cycling related items only, please! Requires upgraded Membership to post new threads. This forum is intended for individual members to sell their bikes and bike related gear, and not for commercial ventures or company sales. Prices must be quoted up front, we are not an auction site, and do not link to your ebay auctions.

1989 Yakota Legend

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-21, 01:57 PM
cyrano138

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn LeTour, 1977 Raleigh Super Course (converted to fixed gear), 199X GT outpost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 32 Posts
1989 Yakota Legend SOLD

Here's the copy from my local CL ad. I've got it posted there for $225, I've got $200 and a fair amount of labor into it, so I'm just trying to get that or something close to it back: I bought this bike for my wife, but halfway through the project we found a frame that fit her better.

It's been thoroughly serviced and, among other things, I replaced all cables and housing, adjusted and repacked the bottom bracket and headset, and adjusted the derailleurs and brakes.

The frame and fork are tange2 butted cromo. The paint is yellowed somewhat in places, chipped here and there but has no rust problems. No dents or dings. It's somewhere between 53 and 54cm.

The original sakae modolo bars were steel and heavy as heck, so I upgraded those to aluminum sakae modolos.

Brakes, levers, derailleurs, and shifters are original Shimano exage sport and working beautifully.

The saddle and pedals are not original, and down the road could be upgraded. Pedals are wellgos and the seat is a no name, but both work fine.

At least one of the wheels is not original (maybe both -- they are not from the same set), but I trued both and they work well. They're alloy and probably comparable to whatever came on the bike originally.

It rides nicely, and it's reasonably light for a classic road bike. These were originally manufactured by a company better known for mountain bikes, but. this is a nice road bike for what it is, in my opinion. According to someone on this forum, it was a mid level sports bikes in its day, retailing for about $450.

Thanks for looking!

**and before anyone says anything, yes. I know the bar tape is wackadoo. I don't normally use hood covers, or levers that don't run the cable out of the top, so I was a little confused about what to do. I tried wrapping as I normally would, but it looked really weird, so I wrapped a bit around the hoods.

Jack

Last edited by cyrano138; 11-17-21 at 09:12 PM. Reason: sold
Old 11-01-21, 01:42 PM
afm199

Bikes: Trek Madone, 2012, Trek Kronos CX Ultimate, 2012

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
Yokota was a Taiwanese company that made some really nice bikes back then. They used some high quality tubing, and good components, then copied frame design from successful manufacturers. My 30 plus year old El Capitan MTB was remarkable. I rode the damn thing thirty years and had to replace cables and chose to replace the brakes. The DeOre shifters were still working perfectly when I sold it.
Old 11-02-21, 04:26 PM
cyrano138

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn LeTour, 1977 Raleigh Super Course (converted to fixed gear), 199X GT outpost

Originally Posted by afm199
Yokota was a Taiwanese company that made some really nice bikes back then. They used some high quality tubing, and good components, then copied frame design from successful manufacturers. My 30 plus year old El Capitan MTB was remarkable. I rode the damn thing thirty years and had to replace cables and chose to replace the brakes. The DeOre shifters were still working perfectly when I sold it.
It's a great bike, honestly. I guess I'm asking too much for it, though, because I haven't even had a bite. It's listed on Craigslist, Facebook, and here.
Old 11-02-21, 07:57 PM
afm199

Bikes: Trek Madone, 2012, Trek Kronos CX Ultimate, 2012

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by cyrano138
It's a great bike, honestly. I guess I'm asking too much for it, though, because I haven't even had a bite. It's listed on Craigslist, Facebook, and here.
If only we could get what they are really worth! They made excellent bikes.

Last edited by afm199; 11-02-21 at 08:15 PM.
Likes For afm199:
Old 11-02-21, 11:10 PM
cyrano138

Originally Posted by afm199
If only we could get what they are really worth! They made excellent bikes.
Yeah it's tough when it's a lesser known brand. I wasn't buying it to sell so I didn't worry about it then.
Old 11-04-21, 06:04 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
More props for Yakotas. My wife's mtn bike when I met her 26 years ago. Shouldn't have sold it.
Likes For clubman:
Old 11-09-21, 12:24 PM
cyrano138

Dropping the price to $125 plus shipping. Need to make space.