Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help Identifying Vintage Marinoni Frame

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-21, 05:10 PM
Harold74

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 75 Posts

Anybody want to hazard a guess as to the year, model and, more importantly, 27" vs 700c wheel size on this frame that I'm considering purchasing? I measured the distance from the center of the front dropout to the brake mounting bolt hole as 370 mm. Unfortunately, based on my collection of 27" & 700c bikes, that seems to be too course of a measurement to prove anything definitively. The seller thinks that the bike is from the late 70's and described it as follows:

Early Marinoni frame that used Zeus fork and dropout.
Seattube 60cm.
Toptube 57cm.
126mm rear spacing.
26.6mm seatpost size.
Hattaswan headset and Stronglight BB include.

Old 09-08-21, 05:58 PM
reissue59

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 158 Times in 67 Posts
Marinoni, to my knowledge, did not use this type of tubing. No stamped fork and seatstays
Maybe but...
Old 09-08-21, 06:18 PM
Harold74

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Originally Posted by reissue59
Marinoni, to my knowledge, did not use this type of tubing. No stamped fork and seatstays
Maybe but...
Yeah, the seller expressed similar confusion, wondering if it was really a Zeus frame distributed by Marinoni. That, or some bizzare effort are counterfeit.
Old 09-09-21, 04:16 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Is there a "M" cut out in the BB shell?
Old 09-09-21, 05:34 AM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
Why not ask the definitive source: Cycles Marinoni Inc. - Contact
Likes For markk900:
Old 09-09-21, 09:25 AM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
I emailed Marinoni when I found my 89 Special. I sent the SN# and they replied back in a few hours with the details. I'd try that first.
Old 09-09-21, 11:27 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,383 Times in 3,669 Posts
Originally Posted by Harold74
Yeah, the seller expressed similar confusion, wondering if it was really a Zeus frame distributed by Marinoni. That, or some bizzare effort are counterfeit.
Hopefully the $$$ reflected his confusion?
Old 09-09-21, 12:18 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
FWIW, I’ve never seen a Marinoni “M” decal that looked like those on this HT and ST, same for the DT ones. +1 on sending the S/N to Marinoni.
Old 09-09-21, 12:39 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 438 Posts
If you took the decals off, it'd look like a mid-range Raleigh or Falcon to me...
not too familiar with Zeus stuff, if it is that. Fork would be common for English stuff , same with the BB cable guides...
but could also be english/531 straight gauge seattube (26.6,26.8), as opposed to a single butted 531... or similar other tubing...
whatz the BB say, as far as threading ?
Thx
Yuri
Old 09-09-21, 01:28 PM
Harold74

Originally Posted by nomadmax
Is there a "M" cut out in the BB shell?
I don't recall there being an "M" but, then, I wasn't looking for one. I've asked the seller for a photo of the BB underside.

Originally Posted by markk900
Why not ask the definitive source: Cycles Marinoni Inc. - Contact
Done. Not sure why I didn't think of that. The owner will send me the S/N later.

Originally Posted by merziac
Hopefully the $$$ reflected his confusion?
I really couldn't say as I'm not very knowledgeable about the value of vintage frames. The listed price is $290 CAD / $230 USD.

Originally Posted by Dfrost
FWIW, I’ve never seen a Marinoni “M” decal that looked like those on this HT and ST, same for the DT ones. +1 on sending the S/N to Marinoni.
My contact at Marinoni has said the same thing.

Originally Posted by cyclezen
whatz the BB say, as far as threading ?
I don't yet know. The bottom bracket is of particular concern to me as:

1) I'm especially lacking in skill when it comes to assessing bottom bracket compatibility.

2) My interest in the frame is all about my ability to quickly migrate all of the non-frame stuff over from an old, Nishiki Olypic to this frame. That will include a non-original, Sugino crankset that used to be a triple but is now being run as a double.​​
Old 09-09-21, 01:39 PM
Harold74

The seller strikes me as a forthright gentlemen. If the frame is counterfeit, I'd be willing to bet that's a surprise to him as well. Among the items that he's selling are bunch of very expensive violins. Compared to the potential value of those transactions (>$5000), it's hard to imagine that he has any great concern for being deceptive on this $300 item.
Old 09-09-21, 02:15 PM
Harold74

No serial to be found. So that'll likely be the end of my interest on the frame unless someone shows up with a Hail Mary "I used to have one of those". Thanks, all , for the assistance.
Old 09-09-21, 03:50 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Harold74
...My interest in the frame is all about my ability to quickly migrate all of the non-frame stuff over from an old, Nishiki Olypic to this frame. That will include a non-original, Sugino crankset that used to be a triple but is now being run as a double.​​
If that's your concern, then you wouldn't be interested in an early Marinoni. Having been born in Italy and apprenticed under Rossin at Colnago, Marinoni BB shells were tapped to Italian standard, while the Nishiki would be English standard. They're incompatible. The seat post would also likely be incompatible. Depending on their repsective era, you may also have a brake reach issue with the wheels and and a width issue with the hubs.

You need to ask the owner the BB threading stabndard (stamped on the cups), seat post seat diameter,

Last edited by cb400bill; 09-09-21 at 07:13 PM.
Likes For T-Mar: