Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Stolen Bike: What to do?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Stolen Bike: What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-06, 10:39 AM
Lionheart

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Hambone
It always kills me when I see a delivery guy on a $2,000 Klein Mtn Bike. I know there is some college kid somewhere crying over his lost ride...
Yes. I'm always suspicious when I see somebody using a nice bike for transportation, with clipless pedals and wearing street shoes!

I feel for ya man. Hang tough.
Old 09-07-06, 10:48 AM
mister

Bikes: Checkpoint SL 7.5, FX 4

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Treefox
You should bother with the police - - though they won't go out of their way to find it, should they bust up some guy who is holding heaps of stolen goods, they may find your bike. My brother had a guitar amp stolen, then it turned up two weeks later in a storage unit when the police busted the guy for some much bigger robberies.
Originally Posted by badkarma
What terrible advice, definitely file a police report.
Come on, be realistic. File a report for insurance purposes, but the police aren't going to drop their already full call logs to go look for a bike. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful bike and all, but the likely hood of it being found is slim. I guess what I should say is don't count on the police finding it. Also, recording the serial number is useful, but it's better to stamp or engrave your driver's license number on your property. Officers are more likely to locate an owner this way.
Old 09-07-06, 10:50 AM
spiderbike
Walmart partner

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
whoever stole it, probably doesn't want to use but wants to sell it, your doing the right thing by checking out bike stores, pawn shops, bike clubs and craiglist...I'll keep my eye out up here in W-S
Old 09-07-06, 10:55 AM
spiderbike
Walmart partner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mister
Come on, be realistic. File a report for insurance purposes, but the police aren't going to drop their already full call logs to go look for a bike. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful bike and all, but the likely hood of it being found is slim. I guess what I should say is don't count on the police finding it. Also, recording the serial number is useful, but it's better to stamp or engrave your driver's license number on your property. Officers are more likely to locate an owner this way.

The police will not look for your bike but they eventually catch the thief stealing something else or being ratted out...a cross reference in the data base will show that your the victim of the bikr larceny hopefully leading to its return...believe it or not I have seen people recover expensive items this way, recently some stolen trumpets...

don't forget to look at the pawn shops...they know it is stolen but might try to sell it on ebay...
Old 09-07-06, 10:59 AM
substructure
RustyTainte

Bikes: zilch

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll keep my eyes open in my neck o' the woods (North Belmont). Heck, I may even go to the last TT at the speedway to watch some friends compete. I'll keep a look out then as well.

I hate it for you.
Old 09-07-06, 11:01 AM
mister

Bikes: Checkpoint SL 7.5, FX 4

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
You guys have way too much faith in the police in large cities Sure, the scumbag will be rolled up for a burglary or some other theft eventually. Most theives will fence their stolen goods within about 72 hours. They need to get money for their drugs. Most thefts are crimes of oppurtunity so don't leave valuable stuff laying in your car.
Old 09-07-06, 11:05 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I've never heard a more convenient excuse to treat yourself to a new bike.

So get one.
Old 09-07-06, 11:06 AM
webist
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My daughter and her husband live in Charlotte. They have no bikes. Both were stolen from their garage at Christmas time last year.
Old 09-07-06, 12:07 PM
kenny!
Training Wheels Member

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale R800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone bother to register their bikes with the police? Years ago I had a bike disapear from a bike rack and when I went to the police I was surprised to find they already had it in their possession! But they gave me hell about it not being registered. They also said that if it had been registered they could have contacted me when they found it. Oh, if you were wondering how it ended up in police possession, they found it abandoned somewhere it shouldn't have been.
Old 09-07-06, 12:35 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked 1,222 Times in 699 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
And then watch your premiums increase the year after.
Also a good point
Old 09-07-06, 05:36 PM
2oz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys, I'm doing everything I can.

I got in contact with a listserv of a group of commuters in charlotte, and a few people on there sent an email out to other listservs. I've filed my reports as best I can. Bike shops all know, and I'm giving them fliers tomorrow. I'm doing everything I can, and trying to be hopeful, but I know the very real chance that I'll never see it again. It's really depressing to think that I'll never ride it again.

I kept coming back to my car today thinking and hoping that my bike would show up in my car, but it didn't

Originally Posted by patentcad
I've never heard a more convenient excuse to treat yourself to a new bike.

So get one.
I'm literally NOT kidding when I say that 95% of my paychecks through the first week of december are spoken for. Buying a new bike, while an option, is one that I won't likely be able to explore until next year.

bonus picture of broken window:

Last edited by 2oz; 09-07-06 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-07-06, 05:45 PM
uga8589
swamp biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry for the crap you are having to go through. I would distribute a flyer to every bike shop and offer a sizeable reward to the LBS associate that finds the bike.

2006 Bianchi L'una
Old 09-07-06, 05:57 PM
djtrackie
wannabe cycling nerd

Bikes: Giant TCR Comp 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you know the serial number (check your receipts/bike manual), register it with the National Bike Registry

If the cops ever recover that bike, most will cross reference the serial to the serial number on NBR