Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Atypical noises from disc brakes (after bedding in)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-18, 02:39 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts

Hello to all. Recently I replaced the brake pads on my rear disc brake (Tektro Auriga). After a while (which I assume was the bedding in period; I have done some 300-400 km since the replacement now) it started to make weird sounds when braking – something between grinding and rattling. It still does its job ok (although the old pads worked a bit better, but I suppose that’s down to the compound), but the sound drives me nuts. It also gives some slight feedback vibration. It’s almost as if the pads were so soft as to actually push through the perforations on the rotor, which, of course, is not the case.

I did take the pads out again to inspect them, found nothing wrong. Visually everything seems to be ok, the caliper is aligned properly, no rubbing, also didn’t find any loose screws anywhere.

What might be the cause for this?
Old 05-23-18, 09:47 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Liked 320 Times in 243 Posts
I'd first sand down the pads slightly an clean the rotors with fine sandpaper and isopropyl alcohol--it's possible they're just slightly contaminated.