Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Handlebar Bag Stand-Off?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Handlebar Bag Stand-Off?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-24, 07:56 PM
UnCruel 

Bikes: Trek Émonda SL 5, Trek Checkpoint SL 5, Giant Trance X 2, Trek Farley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 53 Posts
This is what I came up with. There's a good 2 inches / 8 cm of clearance over the tire, and nothing rubs. It's ugly, but should do the trick.

Likes For UnCruel:
Old 04-26-24, 08:13 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by UnCruel
This is what I came up with. There's a good 2 inches / 8 cm of clearance over the tire, and nothing rubs. It's ugly, but should do the trick.
Damn good job, and ugly it ain't. It's actually fairly elegant looking and you did a nice even job of bending the aluminium tubes equally .Nice touch with the clear tubing to stop scratching/rubbing.
And no matter what you think of the aesthetics, it's unseen under your tent and out of sight. You don't need to put the tent bag in a plastic bag or something? Or is the msr bag waterproof?
Likes For djb:
Old 04-26-24, 08:20 PM
UnCruel 

Bikes: Trek Émonda SL 5, Trek Checkpoint SL 5, Giant Trance X 2, Trek Farley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Damn good job, and ugly it ain't. It's actually fairly elegant looking and you did a nice even job of bending the aluminium tubes equally .Nice touch with the clear tubing to stop scratching/rubbing.
And no matter what you think of the aesthetics, it's unseen under your tent and out of sight. You don't need to put the tent bag in a plastic bag or something? Or is the msr bag waterproof?
Thanks. Yes, the bag is waterproof.
Old 04-27-24, 05:33 AM
djb

Thanks. Yes, the bag is waterproof.
handy, I kind of figured it would be if it is designed to go right onto bars.
I would watch for pressure point / rubbing spots where the two rods touch the bag, just because they are quite narrow, so "could" abraid the bag material over thousands of cycles of perhaps friction type movement. If you have concerns, you can easily put some sort of something between the two rods and the bag where you see rubbing occurs.
A small piece of foam, whatever is light and would do the job. Again, it would be out of sight under the bag. Foam doesnt absorb water and is perfect for vibrations.
Improvisation is an important thing in bike touring, and you've shown you can already think up of things and make them.
Have a fun trip when you go.
Old 04-27-24, 08:50 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts

ugly? not hardly.
it's gorgeous!
good job.
Old 04-27-24, 10:31 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3465 Post(s)
Liked 1,470 Times in 1,147 Posts
... ...
It is only ugly if you have put your tent up so the support is no longer covered up with the tent bundle and some non-bicyclist looks at your bike. The bikers will admire your ingenuity.

You might need to bend the bottom segments out wider if your load is not perfectly balanced for weight in the center, but that is something you could do on a trip if needed.

Very nice.

If it bounces on bumps, you might need to run a strap to the back side of the steerer tube to hold the tent from moving forward. I suggest you bring a strap or piece of cord that it a couple feet long on your trip, just in case it is needed.

You deserve the award for best DIY project for the year for this forum, but unfortunately no such award exists.
Old 04-27-24, 10:35 AM
djb

oh, perhaps think about putting some layers of electric tape or whatever on the bars under the top curve of the tubes, in case even with the tubing it rubs off some of the black paint on the bars. Easy insurance.