Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Chainring standards ...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-22, 05:16 PM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
Chainring standards ...

I've got a Shimano Deore crank with a 30T chainring on the girlfriend's gravel bike (Bombtrack Hook EXT), and we're wanting to get her onto a 40T chainring for the sake of unloaded / human terrain gravel riding.

Shimano has a new direct-mount system for their Deore series, but I'm having a hard time finding anything over a 34t for it .. Aftermarket options like Wolftooth are there but $150+ (Australia).

Which sadly has me looking at Ebay/Aliexpress ... she's not racing, she's not putting down 2000 watts. We just want a half-decent 40T chainring compatible with her Deore FC-M6120.

Any suggestions on proven Ebay sellers / brands ? Or affordable alternatives ?

Chainring 32-42T Chainring Direct-Mount For M9100/M8100/M7100 Replace Parts

FOURIERS Direct Mount Chainring for Shimano XTR XT 12s Bike M9100 M8100 M7100

The crankset is 12-speed but she's running an 11sp Rival drivetrain. 11/12sp should both be fine

Any ideas / suggestions? I'm ok with spending up to ~$80, but $160+ for a chainring is getting a bit silly

Old 02-26-22, 06:10 PM
TPL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 64 Posts
ShimaNO has painted you in a corner ....everything is still the way they plan it ....it's likely that in 3 years they will abandon this design entirely, history will repeat itself
Old 02-27-22, 07:52 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
You’re just not going to find very many chainrings to fit a MTB crankset that are over 34 or maybe 36T. Plus I would assume that a direct-mount chainring that large needs more complex structure to have adequate rigidity to pedaling forces, which = more expense to produce, that and low demand = $$$. The newness of the system may also be a factor. Not enough time yet for cheap options to become available.
Old 02-27-22, 02:31 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 648 Posts
Looks like TA makes a Shimano direct mount that is 38t
Old 02-27-22, 05:45 PM
zen_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
You can use a 38T SLX or XT chainring on the Deore direct mount arms, or as you already discovered, there are some aftermarket AliExpress 40T direct mount rings available. I have used the cheap Chinese 1x rings on another bike and they work perfectly fine, just don't use them for serious thrashing, or expect them to last 10K+ miles like a Shimano ring. This one looks pretty good. Some of the others that are for Shimano direct mount look to have the SRAM Eagle style teeth (more shark tooth looking); not sure if that matters though.
Likes For zen_: