Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mustache bars questions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Mustache bars questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-22, 07:15 AM
Briancollins
Vintage rider / bike

Bikes: 1992 Masi with Campagnolo Chorus 8 speed with downtime shifters

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mustache bars questions

Hello all.
Do any of you ride a new or vintage ride with mustache bars ?
I seldom use the drops on my vintage Masi and was wondering if any of you ride a bike with mustache bars on a regular basis.
Thoughts or feedback on your riding experience would be welcome.
Thanks!
Old 07-28-22, 07:44 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
It's been a topic of discussion many times here, which could be googled. It's safe to say that a fairly small percentage like them and the rest don't. Most of us have dabbled with them and usually revert back to something traditional or different. Not to say Moustache bars don't have a long history.
It's why you don't see many in our photos. And almost certainly not on a Masi.
Likes For clubman:
Old 07-28-22, 08:02 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
I have used them but generally did so with them upside down. My goal was to alleviate pain in my neck. The great thing about them is standard road levers work. Ultimately I have switched to porteur bars which make me very comfortable.
Old 07-28-22, 08:06 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
I do have mustache bars on one bike that I rarely ride. I am not really a fan of the one I have. An alternate bar I really like is the Velo-Orange Porteur bar. I have one on 2 bikes with 10 speed brifters. For me, it is very comfortable, not too wide, and having the levers where I do makes for a lot of hand positions and not much movement for shifting or braking. This set up has given some relief to chronic spinal issues, and an arthritic left thumb.

https://velo-orange.com/collections/...eur-bar-config

Two sizes and the 23.8 size comes in silver or black, but you may have to check on Ebay for the black. In the below picture, I have the bar inverted to give a 15mm rise. Normally they are mounted with a 15mm drop, which I have on a Poprad. I like the rise better.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 07-28-22, 08:14 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
I do have mustache bars on one bike that I rarely ride. I am not really a fan of the one I have. An alternate bar I really like is the Velo-Orange Porteur bar. I have one on 2 bikes with 10 speed brifters. For me, it is very comfortable, not too wide, and having the levers where I do makes for a lot of hand positions and not much movement for shifting or braking. This set up has given some relief to chronic spinal issues, and an arthritic left thumb.

https://velo-orange.com/collections/...eur-bar-config

Two sizes and the 23.8 size comes in silver or black, but you may have to check on Ebay for the black. In the below picture, I have the bar inverted to give a 15mm rise. Normally they are mounted with a 15mm drop, which I have on a Poprad. I like the rise better.
Me and you both on the porteur.
Old 07-28-22, 08:23 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
Although not true mustache bars, I love my Soma Oxfords (clone of the Nitto Albatross) on my '89 Trek 970 MTB. They're basically mustache bars with a longer back section. Nitto sells a few varieties, including one called the Albastache, a cross between the Albatross and their regular mustache bars. Most of the popular ones have video reviews on Youtube.

I find that in the hands-forward position, I have just as much control, especially controlled braking, as with drops. Maybe better. The back part is great for more upright "cruising" and in between is great for climbing. Wrists are always at a comfortable angle. I've tried a lot of different handlebar setups on this bike, and just prior to this it had drop bars, but these are better, for this bike and the type of riding I do. I'm not tempted to swap out my other two drop bar bikes, but I might replace the flat bars on my Rockhopper with another set of these.

Last edited by Jeff Neese; 07-28-22 at 08:34 AM.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 07-28-22, 08:28 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
i tried mustache bars - the right way (see first pic below), flipped them so they became "priest bars" (so I was told) and never liked them. if you want the bars to come back to get comfortable, they do not do that. They don't come back past the stem, so you're always that far forward.
Eventually I put VO Postinos on the same bike, .... maybe a shorter stem? not sure. see the second photo.

i also have Albatross bars on my schwinn. those sweep way back, so pretty up right if that's what you want. and I got - i think - Tourist bars on my Miyata.
if you want some like side by side photos, let me know.

'Stache bars - if you're using bar ends, probably a good way to go.

postino bars. sweep back more than 'stach bars. i think

Albatross bars - X-treme comfort -- but bad for bar end shifters.
Likes For mrv:
Old 07-28-22, 09:30 AM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 329 Posts
I’ve got a couple so far and I love ‘em.

Originally Posted by clubman
And almost certainly not on a Masi.
Yup, that’s next on my list.
Likes For panzerwagon: