Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are hip packs for road cycling?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are hip packs for road cycling?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-24, 09:57 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
Addendum to my pics: I don’t use them for cycling, but for hiking. I hate a sweaty back and putting a wet pack on my back I really dislike, so fanny packs work the best. For cycling, it is amazing what I can cram into my jersey pockets. On Saturdays ride I had the following:

3 energy bars
1 banana
wallet and cell phone
arm warmers, after I warmed up
knee warmers, ditto
mini-pump
car keys - fob
light glove liners worn under cycling gloves.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 03-18-24, 10:03 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Yes to hiking and walking. No to cycling, handle bar bag and snack pouch for me.
https://www.ornotbike.com/products/h...g-ecopak-black
https://www.fjallraven.com/us/en-us/...xoCzPgQAvD_BwE
Old 03-18-24, 10:19 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Hip packs are actually a hot trend right now in the mountain biking world, so there are a ton of well designed cycling-specific options out there. EVOC, Dakine, Osprey, Camelbak are a few of the more well known brands that all offer cycling-oriented hip packs.

For on bike options, a bar bag does not effect the handling unless there is a bunch of weight in it (a lot more than a couple sandwiches). Sounds like you are just looking at a small one, anyway.

Also might look at a top tube/stem bag.

Last edited by Kapusta; 03-18-24 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-18-24, 11:35 AM
boomer58 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 17 Posts
I have been using a handlebar bag since I have been riding more serious for a year now. As a Type 1 diabetic I have to carry some snacks and glucose tablets in addition to wallet, keys, etc. As I have been doing more miles, I have to carry more of these. I was against a waist bag or fanny pack but decided to try one out. I ordered a Osprey Savu 5 on Amazon and felt it was bigger than I needed. I ordered a smaller bag and when I started filling it, I realized it was to small. I put my stuff in the bigger bag and it works great. There is a small pouch on each side that my insulin pump fits in depending which side my pump is on. My wife just asked me the other day how I liked it and I told her it's the best biking accessory I have ever bought. I is very comfortable riding and doesn't bother me at all. It has a place for 2 water bottles but they fold pretty flat and I will probably never use them. The waist strap is not real wide so it doesn't bother me when I pedal. Give it a try, I think you will be happy. Around $60.00 on Amazon. boomer
Likes For boomer58:
Old 03-18-24, 01:47 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
cycling jerseys would be perfect due to their pockets but they’re uncomfortable.
Are yo7u saying that cycling jerseys are uncomfortable with things in the pockets, or that cycling jerseys are just uncomfortable? If it is the latter, I would suggest that you have tried jerseys that don't fit you properly.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 03-18-24, 02:12 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts

use a small waist / fanny pack for most rides - great for leisure / casual rides (and especially off road riding)

often forget it’s there - and then reminded when I attempt to sit on a bench

but don’t think I would use one (or the baggy shorts etc) for long road rides

Last edited by t2p; 03-18-24 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-18-24, 02:47 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Are yo7u saying that cycling jerseys are uncomfortable with things in the pockets, or that cycling jerseys are just uncomfortable? If it is the latter, I would suggest that you have tried jerseys that don't fit you properly.
Or they just don't like cycling jerseys
Old 03-18-24, 04:20 PM
JWK

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, GT Grade alloy, Trek 920

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
I have a nice hip pack that came with a used bike I got a couple of years ago. It's on of the larger ones, and is well made and very comfortable.

IMO, Prowler and Skidder have nailed my personal issues. It's great for carrying the same things for riding different bikes. I wanted to try out two different bikes I own back to back so I could compare them as objectively as possible. One day I went out and just went back and forth between the two bikes on a five mile loop. I just kept all my necessary stuff in my hip pack. It was very handy.

So for me, there are two things with hip packs.
1. I don't want anything with any noticeable weight in there. No water, tools, etc. Sandwiches, snacks, patch kit - good to go. That's just me.
2. It's only useful to me for riding different bikes on a regular or frequent basis. Otherwise, I'd much rather fit the same stuff in a top tube bag, handlebar bag, seat bag, partial frame bag, etc. The only exception I can think of is if all those bags are full and I really want to take something else with me that will fit in the hip pack that doesn't weigh too much, and the ride is not much more than 30 miles. That's just me.

Some people even think backpacks are a good idea. Yuck. To each their own!
Old 03-18-24, 04:34 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
All comes down to personal preference

my typical set up is

1) jersey pockets for phone, money clip, eye drops and is the first place I will stash arm warmers or wind vest (voler or aerotech are my go to for jerseys)
2) Saddle bag for flat and repair stuff (i have big legs and not problem hitting there
3) simple small bar bag for food, lock, etc I really like the roadrunner sports bags they have a lot of choice, are super simple and well made in usa https://roadrunnerbags.us/products/b...-handlebar-bag

I have never gotten to appreciate frame bags

Old 03-18-24, 07:56 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,572 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
What’s that hanging down between your legs? Family forum! Reported!
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-18-24, 09:07 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
I already got too much around my waist!

It was a sweltering hot day about 20 years ago on my first RAGBRAI, where I last wore a Fanny pack. I probably sweated 5# off that day and noticed my Fanny pack constantly getting looser due to that. Finally at a poorly timed moment going uphill, it slid down to my legs making pedaling impossible. I toppled over like a tree. Someone yelled “TIMBER!”

never again…
Likes For Toadmeister:
Old 03-18-24, 11:49 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
I personally do not like the feel of hip pack while I'm riding. Others obviously do like them. Try one out to see how if feels to you. Ultimately, how it feels to us is irrelevant.

FWW, and as a data point incase the hip pack doesn't do it for you: I like the kind of seat bags that look like what Rivendell used to sell as the Banana Bag. Acorn, Frost River and, yes, Rivendell all still sell equivalents. They attach to the back of the saddle with the nose up against (and strapped to) the seat post. The open toward the rear, they narrow down as they near the seat post, so leg rubbing is not an issue, and they hold a surprising amount of stuff. If you have a saddle with little loops at the back a la a Brooks B17, any of these bags will work. If your saddle does not have such loops you either need to (1) get the Frost River bag or an older used Rivendell one or (2) get some Velo Orange saddle loops that clamp onto the saddle rails.

I hope you find a solution you like. Not what I like or what anyone else likes, but what you like.
Old 03-19-24, 12:12 AM
David_Harris

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 149 Posts
Originally Posted by boomer58
I have been using a handlebar bag since I have been riding more serious for a year now. As a Type 1 diabetic I have to carry some snacks and glucose tablets in addition to wallet, keys, etc. As I have been doing more miles, I have to carry more of these. I was against a waist bag or fanny pack but decided to try one out. I ordered a Osprey Savu 5 on Amazon and felt it was bigger than I needed. I ordered a smaller bag and when I started filling it, I realized it was to small. I put my stuff in the bigger bag and it works great. There is a small pouch on each side that my insulin pump fits in depending which side my pump is on. My wife just asked me the other day how I liked it and I told her it's the best biking accessory I have ever bought. I is very comfortable riding and doesn't bother me at all. It has a place for 2 water bottles but they fold pretty flat and I will probably never use them. The waist strap is not real wide so it doesn't bother me when I pedal. Give it a try, I think you will be happy. Around $60.00 on Amazon. boomer
I have an Osprey Savu 5 I like quite well, but only really have cause to use on longer, unsupported rides. It is a nice pack and works really well.

I usually use a smaller Eberlestock waist bag for most rides - carries ID, bandaids, Cliff bars, gu packs, SAK, etc., and I like the waist belt better than the Osprey. Yes, that’s stuff a lot of folks just stuff in their jersey pockets. I just like my stuff to be more organized, zippered, more accessible (by sliding the bag around vs. nearly dislocating my shoulder to get to things in jersey pockets), and to be able to keep it all in one place all the time.
Old 03-19-24, 12:16 AM
DreamRider85

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts

Alright, so I ordered an Opsrey 5l hip pack, but I am also trying out this new Arundel Handle bar bag. I actually like it. But one issue is there’s less space for your hands.

Is it okay to loosen the Velcro straps like this? It’s a little tricky with the cables, but if I loosen it like this, there’s some room for my hands. At the bike shop, he just tightened it fully.

I’ve read there’s handle bar extenders. But I don’t know if that would work with all the cables.
My bike is a Trek ALR Emonda.

Last edited by DreamRider85; 03-19-24 at 12:20 AM.
Old 03-19-24, 12:22 AM
David_Harris

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 149 Posts

Alright, so I ordered an Opsrey 5l hip pack, but I am also trying out this new Arundel Handle bar bag. I actually like it. But one issue is there’s less space for your hands.

Is it okay to loosen the Velcro straps like this? It’s a little tricky with the cables, but if I loosen it like this, there’s some room for my hands. At the bike shop, he just tightened it fully.

I’ve read there’s handle bar extenders. But I don’t know if that would work with all the cables.
My bike is a Trek ALR Emonda.
That looks like a nice bag. I would think it will rattle around if it’s loose. Less room for hand positioning is why I haven’t gotten one.
Old 03-19-24, 07:54 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
What’s that hanging down between your legs? Family forum! Reported!
often use it as a cane when I’m off the bike !

now you can understand why top tube length and stack height are especially critical !
Old 03-20-24, 06:28 AM
boomer58 

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by David_Harris
That looks like a nice bag. I would think it will rattle around if it’s loose. Less room for hand positioning is why I haven’t gotten one.
I forgot to mention in my previous post that when I removed the handle bar bag, it left me with more room for another position on the handle bars which is important to me as I move them around a lot.
Old 03-20-24, 02:08 PM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 196 Posts
My stepdaughter just gave me a small hip bag. (not fanny pack; those are big and serious) I think because she saw an older guy in one of my riding groups wearing one, she thought "all bikers wear them". It's a cheap, thin promotional one from the college she'll be going to this fall. I guess I'll have to try it at least so as not to hurt her feelings.

I think it will turn into the same type of thing as a backpack; it'll turn into a sweaty spot, which is uncomfortable. To wear cycling-specific, breathable clothes, then to get a sweaty spot anyway because we're too lazy to move things from bike to bike doesn't make sense to me. I don't even like to put stuff in my jersey pockets for this reason.

Bar bags are not aero. Maybe not an issue for you, but I don't want slow myself down any slower than I already am by making a silly decision like this!

I have a midsize bikepacking-type under saddle bag that I haven't used yet, but I plan to. It's big enough for a sammich or two, especially if it's in a hoagie form factor instead of rectangular/stacked. This is the one I have: Topeak Backloader 6L

I also have a $20 handlebar bag/cooler from Walmart that I haven't used yet either. Cables or other bar-mounted hardware seem to always prevent it. I think it's this one:

I'll probably get a frame bag at some point for my gravel bike.
Old 03-20-24, 04:22 PM
Lamont Cobb

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
I don't think there's any right or wrong about any accessory: it's all about what works for you. I see plenty of commuters with plastic milk crates affixed to their bike. If they can do that, you can use a fanny pack.
Old 03-21-24, 08:06 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Hip Packs:

Depends on the body type. Thin, wiry builds, OK.

Yet it's "how much" you plan on stuffing the lumbar bag.

And if you feel discomfort because of "belly fat"

And if you think "it doesn't look cool" -- part of what its all about.
Old 03-24-24, 07:56 PM
DreamRider85

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
You didn't say what type of bike you have, but I vote for a front handlebar bag. Specifically the type that has a rigid mount that clamps on the handlebar, and has a disconnect clip so you can easily take the bag with you:

This looks very nice. I have a road bike. Trek ALR Emonda. What I like about this is that it seems to give you more room for the hands. Would the clamps go over or under the cables? I am thinking of looking into this. I like my handle bar bag, but don't like how it gives me less hand room.
Old 03-24-24, 10:32 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
This looks very nice. I have a road bike. Trek ALR Emonda. What I like about this is that it seems to give you more room for the hands. Would the clamps go over or under the cables? I am thinking of looking into this. I like my handle bar bag, but don't like how it gives me less hand room.
Obviously the cables will have to go around the clamps somehow. It will require you to undo the bar tape and juggle the cables for sure. I had a Sunlite(?) bag where I dremel'ed some u-shaped openings in the handlebar mount to pass cables through. You could also tilt the mount and bag up 45 degree to give more room for the cables.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 03-26-24, 09:16 PM
DreamRider85

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Obviously the cables will have to go around the clamps somehow. It will require you to undo the bar tape and juggle the cables for sure. I had a Sunlite(?) bag where I dremel'ed some u-shaped openings in the handlebar mount to pass cables through. You could also tilt the mount and bag up 45 degree to give more room for the cables.

Okay cool. I placed an order, gonna give it a go.
Likes For DreamRider85:
Old 03-30-24, 04:57 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
I’ve been going back and forth for a while now, trying to decide what’s the best solution. I don’t carry that much, but I’m gonna have to carry a couple sandwiches on long rides. Eating out is too expensive these days.
Try this and the cost won't break your bank account. REI Co-op Trail 2 Waist Pack $29.95

https://www.rei.com/product/229581/r...l-2-waist-pack
Old 03-31-24, 04:30 AM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
I have a camelback and it’s okay but can get irritating and when you’re sweating, it’s hot.

front bar bags? Or do they affect your stirring?

I use a burrito bar bag and works great. No worries affecting steering in any way either. I live in Thailand and use my camelback on long rides in remote areas YMMV.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.