Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Lightweight wheel quick release skewers?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-17, 08:24 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts

What’s going on with wheel QR skewers? I don’t get why big players, notably Shimano and Campagnolo, make sets that are 5x heavier than mid-pack lightweight ones. At this point, lightweight skewers have been in the market for nearly 30 years, and it seems pretty clear that they work fine (the good ones).

So what gives? The 70gm savings you can easily get replacing your Ultegra set seems worthwhile, and is more than you save on seatpost or handlebar upgrades, yet component manufacturers have those ranges finely parsed.

Are consumers afraid to ride lightweights? Maybe producers don’t see the ROI. Are skewers just overlooked? They are excluded from wheelset weights. Is it a convenience issue? Maybe big brands want they easiest to use variant, just to avoid liability issues.

Thoughts?
Old 12-18-17, 08:27 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts
My guess is supply/demand. Maybe it does not make sense for the big guys to focus on what really is a niche market. It's especially true since wheel weights don't include skewers, as you pointed out.

Zipp is a big name that makes lightweight Ti skewers that are also aero, FWIW.
Old 12-18-17, 08:34 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
they dont get into the game of low-profile, infrequently-swapped items. just like bottom brackets and headsets.

also seems easy for someone to rip off their design, as manufacturing for skewer is much easier than a caliper or a brifter. not worth development costs. not much to be gained.

to shave weight its a pretty simple matter of replacing their steel skewers with titanium. skinnier nut, and just shave the lever to half its width.
Old 12-18-17, 09:59 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Good points.

I finally just got a pair of Tune AC 130s, which I’ve been lusting over for a few years since seeing them on Contador’s bike, but I’d have been real happy with a half-weight Dura Ace skewer, even being a bit heavier than the Tune.
Old 12-18-17, 10:17 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

People sometimes argue about these QR skewers. I suppose if we all end up with through-axles the debate will go away.

In the meantime, some people think the internal cam of Campagnolo and Shimano is a perfect design, and it's foolish to go weight-weenie on an item that could cause a catastrophe if it fails.

Others argue that the QR really only holds the wheel on the dropout and it's the axle that really supports the weight, and since you can get weight-weenie QR's at a reasonable price it's the best (ahem) Bang for your Buck weight loss program for your road bike.

I think both sides have valid points, so I am not taking sides.
Old 12-18-17, 10:26 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
I've got a set of generic ti Chinese ones, about 40g for the set. They cost me $20.

I'm scared of them. Too many big fast descents on my rides. I put them on once, everything worked out, but it was literally the only thing I thought of the entire ride.
Old 12-18-17, 10:31 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by datlas
People sometimes argue about these QR skewers. I suppose if we all end up with through-axles the debate will go away.

In the meantime, some people think the internal cam of Campagnolo and Shimano is a perfect design, and it's foolish to go weight-weenie on an item that could cause a catastrophe if it fails.

Others argue that the QR really only holds the wheel on the dropout and it's the axle that really supports the weight, and since you can get weight-weenie QR's at a reasonable price it's the best (ahem) Bang for your Buck weight loss program for your road bike.

I think both sides have valid points, so I am not taking sides.
Yeah, that was always the dominant paradigm, since way back, but I’d always put that down to poorly constructed skewers which used cheap nylon pivot bearing surfaces and simple threaded pivot ends which could be inadvertently unthreaded while trying to tighten down the skewer.

In any case, devastating skewer failures never seemed to be a thing. Being pissed off at crappy designs with painful to use levers, high friction, and short wearing bearings was definitely a thing, though!
Old 12-18-17, 10:37 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 4,993 Times in 1,778 Posts
Well, I've got a lightweight Miche set that just doesn't hold with a darn. Nothing worse than taking off at an intersection, having the rear skewer slip again, and the rear tire lock against the frame. All while the drivers look at you like your an idiot who can't ride a bike, LOL!

Seriously though, I've just haven't seen a performance reason to upgrade. Not worth the money in my book.
Old 12-18-17, 11:05 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
QR skewers from Shimano and other major mfgs are designed to be as fool-proof as possible for consumers while proving utterly reliable under the immense power of professional racers operating on brutal surfaces like the Pave'. Team mechanics must provide a safe, positive and quick wheel change each and every time. Fiddling about w/ finicky QRs is a waste of precious time & a wheel slip a disaster. UCI rules have current bikes adding weights, compromising the function of the well proven designs of internal cam QRs to save a few grams serves no functional purpose.

For the 41: Suit yourself.

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 12-18-17 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-18-17, 11:35 AM
Steve90068

Bikes: Road - Lynskey. Mountain - Trek Fuel EX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I've used various versions of lightweight and mid weight skewers over the years and they were always creaky, would loosen over time, etc. I got a pair of Dura Ace 9000 skewers and never looked back

The extra 80g has not slowed me down lol
Old 12-18-17, 11:38 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Because those don't creak on a really stiff wheel.
Old 12-18-17, 11:40 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by Steve90068
I've used various versions of lightweight and mid weight skewers over the years and they were always creaky, would loosen over time, etc. I got a pair of Dura Ace 9000 skewers and never looked back

The extra 80g has not slowed me down lol
Originally Posted by popeye
Because those don't creak on a really stiff wheel.
Good point. A couple years ago I had a really annoying creak coming from what I thought was maybe my stem or even my bottom bracket, only happened when I stood up and pedaled hard...after much searching it was found to be my KCNC Ti QR skewer from the front wheel. I made some adjustments and it got better.
Old 12-18-17, 12:10 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
There is the fact that steel has the highest modulus of elasticity of the metal used in the bike industry by a factor of two. This means that you can build skewer with twice the clamping force without compromise. Shimano and Campagnolo apparently think that clamping force might be an important characteristic of an item whose only function is to keep your wheels on the bike.

I will only ride internally cammed steel skewered quick releases or nutted axles (or bolted in the case of Phil Wood). Campagnolo and Shimano both make very good ones.

Ben
Old 12-18-17, 12:10 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Some observations. Among the OEM's; DT RWS is lighter than Dura Ace.
Have used this before on my Scott's DT Swiss wheels, very nice. Also, some
skewer companies make their models lighter by giving up the QR lever:
High End Skewer Review - Fairwheel Bikes Blog
Old 12-18-17, 04:37 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I use DT Swiss Ti skewers on my road bike for the weight savings and have never had an issue with them. I think any of the high quality branded versions are safe, it's the Chinese no-name (eBay) stuff that's iffy to me. I'd never use those, personally.
Old 12-18-17, 04:54 PM
stockae92

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a pair of KCNC titanium skewers are so far so good. no problem with locking the wheels down.

There are internal cams (Dura Ace), and external cams (KCNC). People would say internal cams are more reliable. And I think the weight more and cost more (depends). And the Dura Ace lever seems to be more aero?
Old 12-19-17, 02:49 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
There is the fact that steel has the highest modulus of elasticity of the metal used in the bike industry by a factor of two. This means that you can build skewer with twice the clamping force without compromise. Shimano and Campagnolo apparently think that clamping force might be an important characteristic of an item whose only function is to keep your wheels on the bike.

I will only ride internally cammed steel skewered quick releases or nutted axles (or bolted in the case of Phil Wood). Campagnolo and Shimano both make very good ones.

Ben
Is modulus of elasticity even relevant? Surely the skewer is not seeing so much clamping force that is stretching, and of course it’s not necessary to have steel levels of modulus because that would mean Ti skewers wouldn’t work (they’d be permanently stretched or broken), but yet they do work.

I also find it interesting that it’s not as though Shimano and Campagnolo are in a clamping force arms race. They don’t advertise clamping force at all, or even assert that their skewers are better than anything else. It’s not apparent to me those guys think about their skewers at all, much less what they think of them.
Old 12-19-17, 02:54 AM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Nah. If someone hasn't done it already, someone will skeletonize their thru axle and shave a few grams, and the race will begin anew.
Old 12-19-17, 03:02 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Bandera
QR skewers from Shimano and other major mfgs are designed to be as fool-proof as possible for consumers while proving utterly reliable under the immense power of professional racers operating on brutal surfaces like the Pave'. Team mechanics must provide a safe, positive and quick wheel change each and every time. Fiddling about w/ finicky QRs is a waste of precious time & a wheel slip a disaster. UCI rules have current bikes adding weights, compromising the function of the well proven designs of internal cam QRs to save a few grams serves no functional purpose.

For the 41: Suit yourself.

-Bandera
Of course, pros use lightweights too. As I said earlier, I learned of Tune AC skewers from seeing them on Contadors bike.

Speaking of fiddling, I’ve wondered why supposedly good skewers (Ultegra and some kind of Campagnolo I’ve had) don’t have captive springs. That’s a small detail that seems like it would save a lot of fiddling to have, Maybe pro level Dura Ace and Super Record have that feature for the mechanics’ sake?
Old 12-19-17, 08:34 AM
Bandera
~>~

Originally Posted by chaadster
Speaking of fiddling, I’ve wondered why supposedly good skewers (Ultegra and some kind of Campagnolo I’ve had) don’t have captive springs. That’s a small detail that seems like it would save a lot of fiddling to have, Maybe pro level Dura Ace and Super Record have that feature for the mechanics’ sake?
That "fidding" isn't done on the roadside during a wheel change if one has/is a competent mechanic. QR tension adjustments on spare wheels , even in the day of front "lawyer lips", is done before an event. Some mechanics still use loose pairs of front & rear dropouts to set QR tension properly on spare wheels w/o having to use a team bike just like we did decades ago for neutral service.

Having wheels properly/reliably/securely attached to the machine is relatively important. I'll trust Shimano internal cam QRs for that task rather than to save a few grams in the aftermarket. Plenty of places to save those grams if that's a huge concern in less critical components or around one's waist-line.

As always, suit yourself.

-Bandera
Old 12-19-17, 09:26 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

That "fidding" isn't done on the roadside during a wheel change if one has/is a competent mechanic. QR tension adjustments on spare wheels , even in the day of front "lawyer lips", is done before an event. Some mechanics still use loose pairs of front & rear dropouts to set QR tension properly on spare wheels w/o having to use a team bike just like we did decades ago for neutral service.

Having wheels properly/reliably/securely attached to the machine is relatively important. I'll trust Shimano internal cam QRs for that task rather than to save a few grams in the aftermarket. Plenty of places to save those grams if that's a huge concern in less critical components or around one's waist-line.

As always, suit yourself.

-Bandera
Ah, yes I understand your point regarding wheel changes not needing to pull the skewer, but I just mean any time you remove a skewer, as for service, it has also seemed captive springs would be nice. I’ve never had DA or SR; do those have the feature? I bet most of us have dropped a spring at some point and would agree it’s fiddly and silly!

I don’t know why Contador used a lightweight set, but for me, it simply to customize the bike, and to do so without sacrificing security and reliability. I will, however, trade off a bit of ease-of-use! I would not trade off performance for customization, though.

Anyway, it’s not about me, and I was just curious to “take the temp” on the current state of opinions, and so I appreciate your input. The idea that Shimano make the only reliable skewer is particularly interesting.

Thanks.
Old 12-19-17, 09:37 AM
Bandera
~>~

Originally Posted by chaadster
The idea that Shimano make the only reliable skewer is particularly interesting
You are jumping to an ill-founded conclusion, Shimano hubs & QR are what I ride, except on my FG.

-Bandera
Old 12-19-17, 09:41 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
fwiw I split the difference on weight. Stayed with steel skewers for piece of mind, but got a pair of 85g Zipps.
Old 12-19-17, 09:49 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

You are jumping to an ill-founded conclusion, Shimano hubs & QR are what I ride, except on my FG.

-Bandera
Oh, sorry, I did misunderstand. There may be other reliable brands, and you trust Shimano.
Old 12-19-17, 10:00 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
fwiw I split the difference on weight. Stayed with steel skewers for piece of mind, but got a pair of 85g Zipps.
I looked at those, but was uncertain, with different iterations on the handle design, whether I was going to be assured of getting the latest model, and couldn't figure out what was going on with the design that led to last year's recall for "fail to engage when in closed position." They have a Ti model, too, and both that and the steel version are right in the middle weight-wise and very attractive.

Do you have the [I think] older, rounded handle design, or the newer flatter style? I wondered if the round style limited closing positions, especially with hooded dropouts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.