Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Chicago Lyft Passenger Opens Door in Bike Lane

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Chicago Lyft Passenger Opens Door in Bike Lane

Old 10-11-21, 07:53 PM
  #101  
UniChris
Senior Member
 
UniChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Northampton, MA
Posts: 1,494

Bikes: 36" Unicycle

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 197 Posts
Nature abhors a vacum
UniChris is offline  
Old 10-12-21, 09:42 AM
  #102  
livedarklions
Mr. Brifter, 2018
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 10,125

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5268 Post(s)
Liked 4,542 Times in 2,571 Posts
I think they should just change the name of this forum to "The Pimple's Court".
livedarklions is online now  
Old 10-12-21, 09:49 AM
  #103  
hotbike
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
hotbike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,507

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike View Post
I would never had gone between those two cars, especially at that speed. Take the lane and go on the outside.
My thoughts exactly. Get a rear view mirror and stay to the middle of the lane whenever thereís no traffic.
The guy was going way too fast in a door zone.
hotbike is offline  
Old 10-12-21, 10:27 AM
  #104  
63rickert
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,860
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
Illinois (625 ILCS 5/11-1407)
Sec. 11-1407. Opening and closing vehicle doors. No person shall open the door of a vehicle on the side available to moving traffic unless and until it is reasonably safe to do so, and can be done without interfering with the movement of other traffic, nor shall any person leave a door open on the side of a vehicle available to moving traffic for a period of time longer than necessary to load or unload passengers.

In the case above, the car DID NOT open the car door on the side available to moving traffic. There was not a bike lane, and the door was opened on the right side of the car into a protected "door zone".

I have no doubt the driver could be identified. LYFT likely knows exactly which driver was involved (assuming it is accurately attributed to LYFT), and a simple subpoena will get the data.

Yet, if this goes to court, I don't believe the results will be simple, especially if the case was to go to a jury, and had a half decent defense legal team.



True, although we don't know what transpired between the time the car stopped and it left. The cyclist appeared to be standing up. But, would have clearly been injured. The cyclist may have been dazed and may not have a good recollection of what he was told, or he actually said to the driver.
Moving traffic is an interesting concept. I see a traffic lane in the video. There does not appear to be a loading zone. In that neighborhood there might not be an unobstructed loading zone or legal parking spot within half a mile. Of course the passenger is not going to tolerate the driver cruising around half an hour searching for legality.

So what happens to moving traffic and traffic flow when any driver at any time gets to declare a loading zone. What happens when double parking is de facto the norm?

Go ahead and get lawyers involved. By precedent in City of Chicago it is entirely legal to drive drunk and to be arrested repeatedly for drunk driving. You can keep driving and keep getting arrested. It is entirely legal to kill cyclists with blood alcohol three times past the limit. All you need is good lawyers.

City of Chicago putting e-bikes on the street for anyone to use is about like vending machines for loaded guns. From what I can see in the vid the driver is wrong, the passenger is wrong and the cyclist is wrong. That unfortunate events will occur is expected. To ride a bike at all in that location you had better be good. Anyone good enough to be there avoids situations trickier than the one in the video continuously. And knows that it is still a roll of the dice.

There is no excuse ever for leaving the scene. My car, while legally parked, with me fifty feet away, has been rear-ended by a texting cyclist. I did not leave the scene. Cyclist blamed me for the incident, leaving the scene could have caused endless problems. Never leave the scene. Judge, jury, your own lawyers will not be sympathetic with leaving the scene.
63rickert is offline  
Likes For 63rickert:
Old 10-12-21, 11:19 AM
  #105  
kingston 
Jedi Master
 
kingston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lake Forest, IL
Posts: 3,602

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 390 Times in 255 Posts
Just saw on the
that more people on ebikes is leading to a significant increase in cycling related fatalities in the Netherlands.
Some Dutch neurologists are advocating compulsory helmets.
kingston is online now  
Old 10-12-21, 11:46 AM
  #106  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 28,603

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 401 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston View Post
Just saw on the GCN Show today that more people on ebikes is leading to a significant increase in cycling related fatalities in the Netherlands.

Some Dutch neurologists are advocating compulsory helmets.
For whom are "some Dutch neurologists" advocating compulsory helmets? For ebike riders only or any body not on 4 wheels? What percentage of Dutch neurologists have not made any such advocacy?
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 10-12-21, 11:51 AM
  #107  
kingston 
Jedi Master
 
kingston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lake Forest, IL
Posts: 3,602

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 390 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
For whom are "some Dutch neurologists" advocating compulsory helmets? For ebike riders only or any body not on 4 wheels? What percentage of Dutch neurologists have not made any such advocacy?
How the heck am I supposed to know? I just said I saw it on the GCN Show. Feel free to look it up and report back.
kingston is online now  
Old 10-12-21, 12:10 PM
  #108  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 28,603

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 401 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston View Post
How the heck am I supposed to know? I just said I saw it on the GCN Show. Feel free to look it up and report back.
In other news, "some" doctors advocate for all sorts of stuff, including recommendations for products for which they have no more expertise about its actual effectiveness than the general public.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 10-12-21, 12:24 PM
  #109  
kingston 
Jedi Master
 
kingston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lake Forest, IL
Posts: 3,602

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 390 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
In other news, "some" doctors advocate for all sorts of stuff, including recommendations for products for which they have no more expertise about its actual effectiveness than the general public.
The interesting and relevant data point is that cycling fatalities in the Netherlands are the highest in 25 years and 1 in 3 was on an ebike. I agree the helmet advocacy is a big nothing-burger.
kingston is online now  
Old 10-12-21, 01:18 PM
  #110  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 28,603

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 401 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston View Post
The interesting and relevant data point is that cycling fatalities in the Netherlands are the highest in 25 years and 1 in 3 was on an ebike. I agree the helmet advocacy is a big nothing-burger.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 10-12-21, 02:13 PM
  #111  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 26,146
Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14627 Post(s)
Liked 2,491 Times in 1,855 Posts
I'm not sure we've confirmed that the bike in the incident was an E-Bike. I think I suggested it looked like one to me when viewing the video. I do think the rider can be seen pedaling, but everything happens so quickly in the small frame.

It also looks like a bike share bike to me.

The bike share business would be a unique business to hit with helmet regulations. Or at least for them to strongly encourage helmets.

I don't think sharing helmets would be appropriate, so a rider would have to bring their own helmet with them.

Time to bring back the "Hair Nets"?



There are a number of modern foldable and collapsible helmets that are hitting the market today. And, perhaps that should be a push for at least some casual bike share users.
CliffordK is online now  
Old 10-12-21, 02:42 PM
  #112  
kingston 
Jedi Master
 
kingston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lake Forest, IL
Posts: 3,602

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 390 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
I'm not sure we've confirmed that the bike in the incident was an E-Bike. I think I suggested it looked like one to me when viewing the video. I do think the rider can be seen pedaling, but everything happens so quickly in the small frame.

It also looks like a bike share bike to me.

The bike share business would be a unique business to hit with helmet regulations. Or at least for them to strongly encourage helmets.

I don't think sharing helmets would be appropriate, so a rider would have to bring their own helmet with them.

Time to bring back the "Hair Nets"?

There are a number of modern foldable and collapsible helmets that are hitting the market today. And, perhaps that should be a push for at least some casual bike share users.
25 year-old men don't buy step-throughs with skirt guards, he was coasting at high speed, regular divvy bikes are bright blue and this one was black. It's a divvy ebike. No question about it.

It will be interesting to see how many people get maimed on those things before the city does anything about it. I've never used one of the divvy ebikes, but I used the regular ones a lot pre-pandemic. I wouldn't use them at all if I had to remember to bring a helmet downtown.
kingston is online now  
Old 10-13-21, 07:21 AM
  #113  
livedarklions
Mr. Brifter, 2018
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 10,125

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5268 Post(s)
Liked 4,542 Times in 2,571 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston View Post
25 year-old men don't buy step-throughs with skirt guards, he was coasting at high speed, regular divvy bikes are bright blue and this one was black. It's a divvy ebike. No question about it.

It will be interesting to see how many people get maimed on those things before the city does anything about it. I've never used one of the divvy ebikes, but I used the regular ones a lot pre-pandemic. I wouldn't use them at all if I had to remember to bring a helmet downtown.

That's interesting because it is a regulatory question--what is the coasting speed of one of those ebikes? Lowering it on the ride share bikes is a pretty easy technical fix.

I think you've brought up the only two things really worth discussing in this thread--that the ride share drivers are regularly dropping from traffic lanes in this neighborhood and the speed of the ride share bikes. Those are actually issues where something could be done at a policy level. The individual responsibility of this rider is really a side issue that completely swamped this thread. I look at it like the possible fault of the passenger--there's next to nothing that could be done to affect those kinds of choices by riders and passengers, but speed reg of the rideshare ebikes and liability for the rideshare companies are actually changes that could be effective.

This thread is a really good example of why A&S is the useless forum, its priorities are upside down. Pretty much everyone wants to focus on nitpicking a "case" out of the sketchy publicly available materials of individual incidents to tell us who they think is to "blame". No one seems to want to actually discuss advocacy and what it is we should be advocating for.

I-Like-To-Bike claimed that my concerns with the safety implications of ride-share companies business arrangements is a "political" question that should be brought to P&R. If that's the case, then we should definitely change the name of this forum because there simply is no way to discuss safety advocacy or bicycle advocacy of any kind without implicating some political issues. Seriously, by that standard, "should states enact the Idaho stop?" is a question for P&R. And all due respect, most of the bike vs. motor vehicle casualties are occurring in cities, and it's really impossible to consider significant changes to city traffic issues without considering gig economy drivers or, for that matter, delivery guys that are working for Uber-eats and the like, or the subcontractors of Amazon, whose primary function is to shield Amazon from liability.. I get that from the vantage point of Burlington, Iowa, that might seem peripheral to bicycle safety, but it's pretty central in a major city like Boston, New York, or Chicago.
livedarklions is online now  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-13-21, 08:29 AM
  #114  
kingston 
Jedi Master
 
kingston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lake Forest, IL
Posts: 3,602

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 390 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
That's interesting because it is a regulatory question--what is the coasting speed of one of those ebikes? Lowering it on the ride share bikes is a pretty easy technical fix.
According to specs, the pedal assist cuts out at 18 mph. They're cadence sensors like most cheap American ebikes, so all you have to do is turn the pedals and they'll hit top speed with just the motor. The accident was right after one of our big six-corner intersections on Lincoln Ave, which is one of the major arteries running through Lincoln Park, so it's safe to assume he was carrying near the top speed in the video.
kingston is online now  
Old 10-13-21, 08:40 AM
  #115  
prj71
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: North Central Wisconsin
Posts: 2,906
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1651 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4 View Post
Hell no.

The article says
"...when a rideshare driver in a white Honda CRV pulled into the bike lane to let a passenger out."

Why would the cyclist be responsible for any blame if he was riding in the bike lane and the driver intruded into his space?

Because when a car pulls into a bike lane and comes to a complete stop that's kind of a red flag that YOU as a cyclist need to be hyper-alert when riding in the door zone and slow down or stop. That guy riding his bike was flying and made no reasonable attempt at slowing down or stopping. Much like when driving a car when you are always in defense mode...you need to do the same when cycling.

Slowing down or stopping in these types of situations is a preemptive move that could save a cyclist from serious harm.
prj71 is offline  
Old 10-13-21, 08:49 AM
  #116  
livedarklions
Mr. Brifter, 2018
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 10,125

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5268 Post(s)
Liked 4,542 Times in 2,571 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston View Post
According to specs, the pedal assist cuts out at 18 mph. They're cadence sensors like most cheap American ebikes, so all you have to do is turn the pedals and they'll hit top speed with just the motor. The accident was right after one of our big six-corner intersections on Lincoln Ave, which is one of the major arteries running through Lincoln Park, so it's safe to assume he was carrying near the top speed in the video.

I'm going to assume nothing about him because it's of no importance to me. I'm interested in your direct observations of the area, though--do you see a lot of riders running these too fast in the Lincoln Park area? I'd say I've seen a lot of crazy ride share e-scooter use, but I really haven't seen it much with the ride share bikes.
livedarklions is online now  
Old 10-13-21, 09:10 AM
  #117  
kingston 
Jedi Master
 
kingston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lake Forest, IL
Posts: 3,602

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 390 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
I'm going to assume nothing about him because it's of no importance to me. I'm interested in your direct observations of the area, though--do you see a lot of riders running these too fast in the Lincoln Park area? I'd say I've seen a lot of crazy ride share e-scooter use, but I really haven't seen it much with the ride share bikes.
In my observation, the divvy ebikes aren't super common yet so I haven't seen that many. The ones I have seen I would generalize as inattentive not crazy.
kingston is online now  
Likes For kingston:
Old 10-13-21, 01:51 PM
  #118  
63rickert
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,860
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post

I think you've brought up the only two things really worth discussing in this thread--that the ride share drivers are regularly dropping from traffic lanes in this neighborhood and the speed of the ride share bikes.
From the traffic lane is where all drop offs happen in that neighborhood. There are normally zero open parking spots, designated loading zones will be private property and guarded. For example the beer truck pulls up to the tavern. Tavern has no loading zone. Tavern has been there since 1880s. Politicians and celebrities drink at that bar. The beer truck needs half an hour to deliver. So two lanes plus parking for traffic volume that would justify four traffic lanes becomes intermittent one way in both directions with no one directing traffic. And this is normal. This is frequent. The beer truck is hardly the only one making deliveries.

The upshot for cyclists is that it is genuinely difficult to ride there. The choices are be slow and careful or have just lots of skill and lots of street smarts and still expect to be delayed, to be frustrated, to have many close calls. E-bikes that do 20mph piloted by devil may care riders are part of the mix. So are electric skateboards, those monowheel rigs, scooters, anything. They are all packed into a tight space and there are no rules. This is a neighborhood that by tradition breaks all rules.

There is no way to make that place safe for cyclists. Non possible. Not happening.

In response to various other posters, yes, traffic in Chicago will at times proceed down the wrong side of the road. Vehicles are seen with plywood windshields and you will see same vehicle repeatedly, do not expect that police get that vehicle off the street. Yes, black cars drive around with no functional lights at night. Possibly the prize, or at least weirdest I can recall quickly, goes to the car with no window glass, layers of fogged thick plastic sheeting wrapped around top of car, driving 40mph on a residential street at dusk, steering by bouncing off parked cars on either side of street. Saw the same car next morning at 6 a.m., four miles south, pointed in other direction. Fire department had just finished extinguishing it.

There are some who pay no attention and just sail on. Good for them. When you see someone passing while you are riding 20mph and they are on a brakeless fixie and texting itís a tossup do you admire their skill or do you decide the whole world is mad.
63rickert is offline  
Likes For 63rickert:
Old 10-13-21, 02:09 PM
  #119  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 28,603

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 401 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston View Post
In my observation, the divvy ebikes aren't super common yet so I haven't seen that many. The ones I have seen I would generalize as inattentive not crazy.
Rider inattention to an obvious (and all too common) hazardous traffic scenario occurring right in front of him and his apparent lack of appropriate response is what this thread is (or should be) all about. The rider in the OP appeared to be oblivious of the high risk situation he was putting himself in and appeared to take no evasive or precautionary action prior to riding right into the door. Whether it was a rented ebike or his own bicycle is irrelevant.

Others may want to bring up their favorite irrelevant agenda such as helmet wear, bike lane use, or social issues or whatever else is on their mind. A lawyer or two may wish to make it a rideshare issue for their own reasons, regardless that the same type of hazard happens everyday in every city where drivers of all types, taxi and non commercial vehicles alike, drop off passengers without the benefit of an off street parking lots or passenger loading/discharge zone.

It appears that some A&S posters choose to ignore the actual hazard that was shown in the OP and choose to not even consider what could possibly be learned from this rider's misfortune.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 10-13-21, 02:12 PM
  #120  
prj71
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: North Central Wisconsin
Posts: 2,906
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1651 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 255 Posts
This thread reminds me why I will never live in a big city. There is zero upside to living in a big city.

I did a 26 mile ride last night on mix of gravel and pavement...saw 3 cars, 8 deer and 3 turkey.

The concrete jungle blows.
prj71 is offline  
Old 10-13-21, 02:16 PM
  #121  
livedarklions
Mr. Brifter, 2018
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 10,125

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5268 Post(s)
Liked 4,542 Times in 2,571 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Rider inattention to an obvious (and all too common) hazardous traffic scenario occurring right in front of him and his apparent lack of appropriate response is what this thread is (or should be) all about. The rider in the OP appeared to be oblivious of the high risk situation he was putting himself in and appeared to take no evasive or precautionary action prior to riding right into the door. Whether it was a rented ebike or his own bicycle is irrelevant.

Others may want to bring up their favorite irrelevant agenda such as helmet wear, bike lane use, or social issues or whatever else is on their mind. A lawyer or two may wish to make it a rideshare issue for their own reasons, regardless that the same type of hazard happens everyday in every city where drivers of all types, taxi and non commercial vehicles alike, drop off passengers without the benefit of an off street parking lots or passenger loading/discharge zone.

It appears that some A&S posters choose to ignore the actual hazard that was shown in the OP and choose to not even consider what could possibly be learned from this rider's misfortune.

I must have missed the memo where you were designated "The Guy Who Decides What Threads Are About." If we decide that particular rider was careless, so what? You really think we learned anything from that?


It's exactly the fact that the rideshare issues are pretty much common to all US cities that makes it worth talking about. Maybe it makes no difference in Chicago, but why it wouldn't work is a hell of a lot more interesting topic than "is that guy going 15 mph or 18?"
livedarklions is online now  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-13-21, 02:33 PM
  #122  
livedarklions
Mr. Brifter, 2018
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 10,125

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5268 Post(s)
Liked 4,542 Times in 2,571 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston View Post
In my observation, the divvy ebikes aren't super common yet so I haven't seen that many. The ones I have seen I would generalize as inattentive not crazy.
Originally Posted by 63rickert View Post
From the traffic lane is where all drop offs happen in that neighborhood. There are normally zero open parking spots, designated loading zones will be private property and guarded. For example the beer truck pulls up to the tavern. Tavern has no loading zone. Tavern has been there since 1880s. Politicians and celebrities drink at that bar. The beer truck needs half an hour to deliver. So two lanes plus parking for traffic volume that would justify four traffic lanes becomes intermittent one way in both directions with no one directing traffic. And this is normal. This is frequent. The beer truck is hardly the only one making deliveries.

The upshot for cyclists is that it is genuinely difficult to ride there. The choices are be slow and careful or have just lots of skill and lots of street smarts and still expect to be delayed, to be frustrated, to have many close calls. E-bikes that do 20mph piloted by devil may care riders are part of the mix. So are electric skateboards, those monowheel rigs, scooters, anything. They are all packed into a tight space and there are no rules. This is a neighborhood that by tradition breaks all rules.

There is no way to make that place safe for cyclists. Non possible. Not happening.

In response to various other posters, yes, traffic in Chicago will at times proceed down the wrong side of the road. Vehicles are seen with plywood windshields and you will see same vehicle repeatedly, do not expect that police get that vehicle off the street. Yes, black cars drive around with no functional lights at night. Possibly the prize, or at least weirdest I can recall quickly, goes to the car with no window glass, layers of fogged thick plastic sheeting wrapped around top of car, driving 40mph on a residential street at dusk, steering by bouncing off parked cars on either side of street. Saw the same car next morning at 6 a.m., four miles south, pointed in other direction. Fire department had just finished extinguishing it.

There are some who pay no attention and just sail on. Good for them. When you see someone passing while you are riding 20mph and they are on a brakeless fixie and texting itís a tossup do you admire their skill or do you decide the whole world is mad.

So can we put yous guys down for the "sharrows aren't gonna fix everything"?

OK, that's two of you telling me Chicago is a cyclist hellscape. I'm going to defer to the local knowledge.
livedarklions is online now  
Old 10-13-21, 03:08 PM
  #123  
kingston 
Jedi Master
 
kingston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lake Forest, IL
Posts: 3,602

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 390 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
So can we put yous guys down for the "sharrows aren't gonna fix everything"?
The city calls them bike lanes. Thanks Lori Lightfoot for keeping us safe!
kingston is online now  
Old 10-13-21, 06:52 PM
  #124  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 26,146
Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14627 Post(s)
Liked 2,491 Times in 1,855 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
If we decide that particular rider was careless, so what? You really think we learned anything from that?


It's exactly the fact that the rideshare issues are pretty much common to all US cities that makes it worth talking about. Maybe it makes no difference in Chicago, but why it wouldn't work is a hell of a lot more interesting topic than "is that guy going 15 mph or 18?"
Several of us came to the independent conclusion that the accident could have been avoided had the cyclist slowed down when the vehicle stopped, and not tried to through a door zone buffer.

Both ride shares and bike shares present unique issues, and this event appears to be bike share (or e-bike share) meets ride share.

If it had been a bright yellow taxi, would the cyclist have chosen to cut curbside?

Earlier in the thread, I had suggested looking for better ways to mark ride share vehicles, although I can't think of anything that would be failsafe other than painting them bright yellow with little black checkers.



Perhaps a brightly colored rear hatch magnetic sign?

Flashing lights? Magnetic roof placard?
CliffordK is online now  
Old 10-14-21, 04:55 AM
  #125  
livedarklions
Mr. Brifter, 2018
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 10,125

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5268 Post(s)
Liked 4,542 Times in 2,571 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
Several of us came to the independent conclusion that the accident could have been avoided had the cyclist slowed down when the vehicle stopped, and not tried to through a door zone buffer.

Both ride shares and bike shares present unique issues, and this event appears to be bike share (or e-bike share) meets ride share.

If it had been a bright yellow taxi, would the cyclist have chosen to cut curbside?

Earlier in the thread, I had suggested looking for better ways to mark ride share vehicles, although I can't think of anything that would be failsafe other than painting them bright yellow with little black checkers.



Perhaps a brightly colored rear hatch magnetic sign?

Flashing lights? Magnetic roof placard?

Yes, a bunch of people said that if things had occurred differently, there would have been a different outcome. I wouldn't say that exhibits any kind of "learning.". I also think people are missing the significance of the fact that the driver felt he could drive off with impunity, which really is revealing of a systematic problem that people seem to think is outside the scope of the forum. He drove away from an injured cyclist as a ride share driver, and we don't think that's revealing of a likely corporate attitude towards us?

One thing I think is clear from this i Chicago is doing a really poor job of telling people what a sharrow is supposed to mean. Calling a shared lane a " bike lane" is really confusing the issue, and if the intention is to confine cyclists to taking the lane rather than passing on the right, then that needs to get communicated.
livedarklions is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.