Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Why is this shifter cable tortuous?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Why is this shifter cable tortuous?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-21, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson

Correct routing shown above. you will likely need to unscrew the pinch bolt most or all the way to get the cable out from underneath the tab, then you pull the end of the cable over the top of the tab and pinch bolt, and tighten the pinch bolt.
You guys are great! These are the little bits of knowledge that are invaluable. Obviously you have years of experience and skill! you're doing the world a service by sharing it, and I thank you!

So I looked at the routing on an older univega and can see a similar setup. I'll attach a pic. But hats off on making the image! That's all-star level!!!

Such a subtle difference! So easy to miss these things as a first timer! I'm also the guy who took apart the pod in a rapid fire shifter on this bike. At the end off the teardown and assembly I only ended up stripping the front brake cable fixing bolt. I've since replaced!

I'll be sure to try it after my next work rotation gets over and update the post. Excited to see what difference it makes!
Old 07-02-21, 07:23 PM

As stated, here is a picture with the correction to the cable routing so it goes over the tab on the pinch bolt. It appears to be slightly easier to shift now. Still re quires more pressure than the right side, and more than I'd like. Nonetheless, all you folks in this thread are awesome!

Also, you see the back end of that pressed bolt. Early on in this bike rehab the cable would periodically snag on it when on the smallest of the triple chainrings. With this new orientation, it looks completely fine!!!

I stripped the bolt for the brake cable fixing set. Any ideas on where to get a replacement? As if now I'm using a bolt with a Philips head but it's round and not rectangular requiring 3 tools, Philips, socket, needle nose pliers to adjust brake cable tension.

Next overhaul .. 93 Univega Via Montega.

Last edited by 269523; 07-02-21 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-05-21, 07:29 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Have you changed out the cable housing that was damaged?
Old 07-11-21, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
Have you changed out the cable housing that was damaged?
I have! It works quite a bit better, especially after reorienting the cable. It's still a few pounds heavier than I'd prefer but at least I can work with it now. Thanks for all the help to everyone in this thread!

I said next project is the univega but I had another impulse buy slip into the equation....

Urban cruiser for my boy! 20" Trek 800 Antelope KDZ!!!!

Successful ride today... Shifting easier, all bearings replaced, all cables and housing replaced, rapid fire rebuilt...

...first full overhaul complete!

Next goal is to try a little paint restoration on the kiddy trek. I have it completely tore down now!

Last edited by 269523; 07-11-21 at 06:50 PM.