Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Low end recomendations. Raleigh Cadent/Misceo/Giant Roam

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-14, 10:11 PM
Hauptmann6

Bikes: Giant Escape 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm currently looking at 3 bikes(well 5) but I'm not quite sure which way I should go. I have no need for suspention and disk brakes would be nice, but not anywhere near a requirement.

I'm 6 foot tall and wear a 30 inch inseam so I have a bit if a long torso and short legs. I've been on the Cadent and Misceo both can be made to work with fitting and head tube adjustments. I'm getting back into riding after a couple years off. I do manly 30 mile rides on pavement and gravel rail trails with commuting thrown in. If it's raining, I'm driving.

The bikes I'm looking at are the Raleigh Cadent 1 and 2, Raleigh Misceo 1 and 2 and the Giant Roam 3.

What are the differences between the Cadent and Misceo? Sadly I haven't been able to see them side by side(and I can't figure out anything from the website). Is the upgrade to the 2 models worth it?

The Giant is the cheapest of the group, but the suspention fork is pushing me away from it.

Why doesn't anyone build a long fairly low bike???

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Hauptmann6; 04-15-14 at 10:13 PM. Reason: cause I'm forgetfull.
Old 04-15-14, 10:36 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I didn't look up the Roam, but I did give the Raleigh models a quick glance.

Cadent 2 gives you an 8spd cassette, trigger shifters, and an upgraded wheelset over the Cadent 1.
Both Misceo models have the same wheels as the Cadent 2, the primary differences between the Misceo models is 7 vs 8 speeds in the rear and rim vs disc brakes.

I have a bias towards wider tires (or at least clearance for them), so I vote for the Misceo 1.
Old 04-16-14, 12:04 AM
treadtread

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Giant Escape has a longer top tube - sounds like something that might work for you.
Old 04-16-14, 02:38 PM
Hauptmann6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the help guys!

Tread, funny enough the salesman brought one out and it fit perfectly. I'll have an Escape 2 with trekking bars next week!

Giant needs to setup their website so it's less jumbled. I didn't even think to look in road bikes for a hybrid.

If you are in the Kalamazoo area, both Alfred E Bike(where I ended up buying) and Johnson Cycle were great to deal with.

Last edited by Hauptmann6; 04-16-14 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-16-14, 03:12 PM
SLazz

Bikes: Diamondback Trace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I suggest spending some time on Craigslist. You can pick up some great deals if you're patient. I just saw a 2012 Giant Roam 2 in near new condition for $325.00. A lot of people pay top dollar for new bikes with the intent to ride them but wind up as nothing more than a good intention to get into shape. Subsequently, the bike just sits in the garage and eventually, is sold for cheap. So, buy a great used one that fits and you'll be a happy camper. Good luck!
Old 04-16-14, 03:47 PM
Hauptmann6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SLazz
I suggest spending some time on Craigslist. You can pick up some great deals if you're patient. I just saw a 2012 Giant Roam 2 in near new condition for $325.00. A lot of people pay top dollar for new bikes with the intent to ride them but wind up as nothing more than a good intention to get into shape. Subsequently, the bike just sits in the garage and eventually, is sold for cheap. So, buy a great used one that fits and you'll be a happy camper. Good luck!
The Escape 2 was $409 so not too bad. I love to ride but wore my last bike out and didn't have the cash to get a new one. I just hope this bike lasts as long as my last one(15 years and probably 10,000 miles).
Old 04-16-14, 04:38 PM
treadtread

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hauptmann6
Thanks for the help guys!

Tread, funny enough the salesman brought one out and it fit perfectly. I'll have an Escape 2 with trekking bars next week!

Giant needs to setup their website so it's less jumbled. I didn't even think to look in road bikes for a hybrid.

If you are in the Kalamazoo area, both Alfred E Bike(where I ended up buying) and Johnson Cycle were great to deal with.
If the bike fit perfectly with the regular bars, you may need to change the stem if you switch to trekking bars - the hand position will change after the switch.
Edited to add: And congrats
Old 04-16-14, 04:55 PM
Hauptmann6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by treadtread
If the bike fit perfectly with the regular bars, you may need to change the stem if you switch to trekking bars - the hand position will change after the switch.
Edited to add: And congrats
Good call on that. They put a longer lower rise one on to test fit. They ordered the bar for me and they will be installing it so I will have it fit again before I ride it home.