Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Delwis' FX S 6

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Delwis' FX S 6

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-18, 08:15 AM
Delwis
Trekker

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6, Trek FXS6, Trek X-Claiber9

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nigelw
The stem looks better on the bike than off.
It's always a bit of a gamble when you buy anything that changes the riding position.
Glad it's paid off.
So what's the next part of the plan (if there is a plan of course)?
Thanks Nigel! Hopefully, I'll get some news on my brakes today. Can't wait to get them and my Shimano wheels on for the Spring. Still need to do some minor adjustments for the perfect fit and do a thorough clean and lube. Then, get some longer rides in!
Old 03-01-18, 08:57 PM
Delwis
Trekker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got the new FSA stem cap on tonight (Love it!) and swapped on the Shimano 770's (Just couldn't wait any longer). Didn't hear anything from Tektro today. Where are my brakes! Hoping for a couple nice rides this weekend.
Old 03-08-18, 03:58 PM
Fitness Rider
Trek FX Bikes

Bikes: 2018 & 2019 Trek FX S 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Delwis
Thanks Nigel! Hopefully, I'll get some news on my brakes today. Can't wait to get them and my Shimano wheels on for the Spring. Still need to do some minor adjustments for the perfect fit and do a thorough clean and lube. Then, get some longer rides in!
Delwis, any update on the new brake set from Tektro (TRP) yet? Hopefully they will be showing up soon and then we can get a look at some photos after installation. Take care, be well.....

Frank
Old 03-08-18, 07:12 PM
Delwis
Trekker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fitness Rider
Delwis, any update on the new brake set from Tektro (TRP) yet? Hopefully they will be showing up soon and then we can get a look at some photos after installation. Take care, be well.....

Frank
Thanks for asking Frank. Well, unfortunately Tektro screwed up. They sent black 510's from the factory and supposedly haven't made a run of the silver yet. They offered me a free upgrade but that would not be plug and play and be mech/hydraulic. So, I'm getting a refund. I'm thinking of just sticking with what I've got and I'll put my resin pads on.

Still waiting for my Ergon GP1 Cork grips and Delta stem riser to be shipped since Monday. I guess I should have renewed my Amazon Prime. LOL. It would have been nice to try them out this weekend.
Old 03-08-18, 07:16 PM
Delwis
Trekker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By the way, I am still looking at road bikes. Right now the Trek Domane SL 6 and the Specialized Roubaix Comp are running neck and neck. I've looked at just about everything from 2600 to 4000 and these two are right in the sweet spot at 3200.
Domane

Roubaix

Last edited by Delwis; 03-08-18 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-08-18, 07:58 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
By the way, I am still looking at road bikes. Right now the Trek Domane SL 6 and the Specialized Roubaix Comp are running neck and neck. I've looked at just about everything from 2600 to 4000 and these two are right in the sweet spot at 3200.
Domane

Roubaix

Do you care if the bike has hydraulic disc brakes or not?
Old 03-08-18, 08:14 PM
Delwis
Trekker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No. I'm kinda old fashioned and like rim brakes on a road bike. I knew somebody would bring that up after seeing my two top choices. Actually, those both have very high comfort ratings (endurance as opposed to race). That was important. I really liked the Tarmac but they are more race than comfort. Still have a ways to go before making up my mind. I am visiting Trek in a few weeks and they just might convince me on the Domane. I am also thinking about when the 19's come out in a few months to either see improvements or get a deal on the 18's.

Last edited by Delwis; 03-08-18 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-08-18, 08:48 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
No. I'm kinda old fashioned and like rim brakes on a road bike. I knew somebody would bring that up after seeing my two top choices. Actually, those both have very high comfort ratings (endurance as opposed to race). That was important. I really liked the Tarmac but they are more race than comfort. Still have a ways to go before making up my mind. I am visiting Trek in a few weeks and they just might convince me on the Domane. I am also thinking about when the 19's come out in a few months to either see improvements or get a deal on the 18's.

That sounds like a pretty good plan.
Old 03-08-18, 08:57 PM
Delwis
Trekker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
That sounds like a pretty good plan.
Thanks Colonel. It might be cool to actually bring one home from the factory. I don't know if they would sell direct though.
Old 03-08-18, 09:23 PM
Fitness Rider
Trek FX Bikes

Bikes: 2018 & 2019 Trek FX S 4

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Colonel. It might be cool to actually bring one home from the factory. I don't know if they would sell direct though.
Check with you Trek dealer Delwis, perhaps there is some program or arrangement that could be made through a local dealer to take delivery of a bike direct from the Trek factory. Certainly worth looking into? Would be kind of like picking up a new Corvette at the factory, although they do charge a lot more money for that option.

Sorry to hear about the problem with the Tektro brake project, we have a lot of miles on our Tektro brakes now and we are both still very happy with the manner in which they are working - so far no issues at all and pad wear is barely noticeable even when measuring the pad thickness. Hopefully they will hold up well into the future - time will tell. Take care and be well......

Frank
Old 03-10-18, 01:46 PM
Laurido92

Bikes: 2019 Pinarello Prince FX 2021 Pinarello Prince Disk Canyon Grizl CF SL

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Domane

Roubaix

I would advice to look at Fuji bikes. They have the SL which is their racing line and it comes with Ultegra components. I have a 2016 SL 2.3 and love it ($1599). I just bought a leftover 2016 Gran Fondo 2.3 and it came with full 105 5800 components and hydraulic brakes for $1499. Great bikes well spec'd for a very reasonable price.
Old 03-10-18, 03:32 PM
Delwis
Trekker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Laurido.

I looked at everything I could find. Crunched numbers, made lists and compared components. Read uncounted reviews by owners and pro writers. From Bianchi to Trek. Kept coming back to the Domane SL 6. I'm starting to believe that it will be the absolute best fit for me. I hope I can find one my size otherwise I'll have to wait for the 19's or choose a runner up. Not the red SL 6 up above. This one.
Old 03-10-18, 03:39 PM
Delwis
Trekker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now, back the the hybrid. I had two failures and two wins today. The new cork grips I got were too tiny to use. No wonder they were so cheap. And the Delta stem riser I got came with too short of a bolt to reach the stem insert. So, they are both going back. I had a heck of a time for a while there when all the stem bearings became dislodged. I had the fork off a couple of times trying to get them all lined up right. It finally went back together okay. Good experience. Then, I used my new Finishline degreaser and did a total detail. Finishing up with Finishline dry spray chain lube and Meguire's Hot Shine on the GP 400 II's. I'll get a picture.
Old 03-10-18, 04:17 PM
Delwis
Trekker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh yeah. I put the Shimano pads on since I won't need them for the TwistR's. Pretty easy job. Here she is.

Old 03-13-18, 07:57 AM
Scooty Puff Jr

Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Did you put tire shine on the tires ? If so, that could be a mistake, they can make the tires slick when cornering and you could possibly drop the bike, so be very careful when making turns. If it were me, I’d try to rub that stuff off of there before you ride it.

The bike looks awesome otherwise !

Last edited by Scooty Puff Jr; 03-13-18 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-18-18, 09:39 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Where you been man ? Did you get tired of making that S6 badass, and move on or what ?
Old 05-19-18, 08:34 PM
Delwis
Trekker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Took a Break

Originally Posted by Scooty Puff Jr
Where you been man ? Did you get tired of making that S6 badass, and move on or what ?
I've been off here for a while. I've been on a lot of forums over the years and sometimes I need a break. Thanks for asking!

The FX has all Ultegra DT and Deore XT Brakes now and is a fantastic fitness bike. It's pretty much my daily driver. I also took another inch off each side of the CF bar. They are now about stock length. I put a Selle Scientia Athletic saddle on to replace the Moderate and put that on my X-Caliber.

I'm training for the Trek 100 now with my new Domane SL6. Did 40 today, will do 60 next weekend, 80 the week after and then the 100 on June 9th. And, I'm doing 25-30 daily on very hilly roads (except when it's raining).