Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Conti Gatorskin Question

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Conti Gatorskin Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-21, 08:51 AM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
Debates about the definition of the new norm generates 10-page threads around here. In general a lot of people (BUT NOT EVERYONE DON'T COME AT ME) are finding that the widest tire they can fit in their frame at lower pressures is a much more pleasant ride and does not actually negatively affect average speed. High pressure tires just "feel" fast because you're feeling every bump and vibration in the road.

So I run 28mm tires at 70 psi on my road bike and I weigh 200 lbs right now. If I lost weight I'd run them at 60 or 65. If a person wants to experiment with lower pressure, I think a good rule of thumb is start at 80 psi and adjust from there.
Interesting. Makes sense. I've been away from cycling for pretty close to 8 years. Back then it was all about skinny tires at high pressure. Next time I need tires I will try a 28mm.
Old 07-02-21, 09:38 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1278 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts
1,500 mixed (urban, country road, gravel) miles on my gatorskin hard shell 32s in three months. no flats yet, knock wood.

i ride around 60-65psi. ride quality is fine. i’ve ridden on fancier tires and they do seem faster, so i think rolling resistance is probably the biggest downside for me, and they’re a bit noisy sometimes.
Old 07-07-21, 09:59 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
When I decided to stop riding Gatorskins on the road, I took a tire off of my outdoor bike that had maybe 3000 miles on it and put it on an old wheel that became my dedicated trainer wheel. According to Zwift, I have about 7000 trainer "miles" on it. I think it will last forever.

But like most people here, I don't think I'll ever ride one on the road again.

Love my GP5000s.
Old 07-10-21, 01:33 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
Debates about the definition of the new norm generates 10-page threads around here. In general a lot of people (BUT NOT EVERYONE DON'T COME AT ME) are finding that the widest tire they can fit in their frame at lower pressures is a much more pleasant ride and does not actually negatively affect average speed. High pressure tires just "feel" fast because you're feeling every bump and vibration in the road.

So I run 28mm tires at 70 psi on my road bike and I weigh 200 lbs right now. If I lost weight I'd run them at 60 or 65. If a person wants to experiment with lower pressure, I think a good rule of thumb is start at 80 psi and adjust from there.
​​​​​​I used to do 23s at 110 psi like everybody else, I'm just as far on 65 to 70 psi 28s now, but a lot more comfortable. 🙂 They feel a lot more planted too.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 07-10-21, 05:51 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Agreed. It feels slower for some on the first ride, but isn't. My riding buddy has been on 23s and 25s at 100-110 PSI or so for years. He is a pretty strong rider. So this weekend, he was doing the Cache Gran Fondo Qualifier and I gave him my GP 5000 28s on Thursday. I told him to set the pressure at 80/85 max but preferred 70/75 or so. Anyway, he set it to between that and his 20-mile test loop was over. He was concerned and said it felt really "sticky" and draggy. Then he looks at his segments and he had several PRs and achievements. Anyway, he goes to the race this weekend and podiums #1 in his age group, is with the top 25 overall (he thinks) and is now going to Bosnia for the Gran Fondo World Championship!! He says he should have switched to wider tires and lower PSI years ago! That is pretty cool. He even used my old S-Works Tarmac.
Likes For Chandne:
Old 07-10-21, 07:24 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,971 Times in 1,918 Posts
i'd prefer to chomp on broken liquor bottle glass.
Old 07-11-21, 04:59 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
i'd prefer to chomp on broken liquor bottle glass.

Over using Gatorskins? LOL
Likes For Chandne: