Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-17, 03:45 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Was gonna go for 4x15 @103% but it's 45 and raining and I'm just not mentally prepared for this ****. Taking an extra rest day and will go for it tomorrow when it's in the 60s!
Old 11-01-17, 03:49 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Cleaning out for 'them' to cram a GoPro up my rear. Good times. Strength and an hour of Z3. Empty stomach before. Empty stomach after. Going to be a hella long night.

Fifty plus, *****es. It ain't all glory.
Old 11-01-17, 03:52 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
Cleaning out for 'them' to cram a GoPro up my rear. Good times. Strength and an hour of Z3. Empty stomach before. Empty stomach after. Going to be a hella long night.

*sucks air through teeth*

Old 11-01-17, 04:05 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

LOL. THAT is my exact image of what will happen.
Old 11-01-17, 05:14 PM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Just did a 20 minute test.

My workouts got harder before I even start into doing workouts :O
Old 11-01-17, 05:16 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
No good deed goes unpunished!

Demain, on roule!
Old 11-01-17, 05:17 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
2x30' first at 94%, second at 93%. I think it may be time to retest again. Ugh. I mean Yay.
Old 11-01-17, 05:31 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
LOL. THAT is my exact image of what will happen.
They give you drugs that make it so you don't remember much for a reason.
Old 11-01-17, 08:20 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts

First colonscopy/endoscopy at 14 years old. Then another a few years later I had some issues as a kid that never properly got resolved. I kinda just live with them now. Have fun sitting (or is it s*itting) on a toilet for a day. Make sure to weigh yourself so you can use that number for you w/kg calculations.

4x15 over 90 minutes today. Bumped my ftp by 3% and the workouts were still bearable. Definitely more like sweetspot than the one I did yesterday. Glad I recognized it was time to change rather than wasting my time below sweetspot for the next 2.5 weeks until it's time to test again.
Old 11-01-17, 09:34 PM
scheibo
once a runner

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yesterday: 5 hill repeats where my fastest one was my 30th best effort on that climb. i was just trying to set a baseline, but that's kind of demoralizing.

today: needed a confidence boost so i did a workout im good at (short laps of a circuit with a power climb). when i finished 20 mins i figured i was slightly ahead of my best for the workout, only to realize when i got home that i had just completed 13 laps instead of the 14 i did in August.

im pretty impatient - i know i was sidelined for a bit unable to ride outdoors for a month because of a wrist injury and i lost fitness and gained weight, but ive been eating clean and training for 2.5 weeks now and i hoped to see results. usually i have a breakthrough workout by around this time coming back from some time off and that keeps me motivated. im not unmotivated yet, but i feel a week from now cookies and pizza are going to start becoming hard to avoid if i don't show some improvement. going to do a test effort on saturday and hopefully i can do better than 2 weeks ago, but that might not be that hard because i set the bar pretty low last time.
Old 11-01-17, 11:47 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6

4x15 over 90 minutes today. Bumped my ftp by 3% and the workouts were still bearable. Definitely more like sweetspot than the one I did yesterday. Glad I recognized it was time to change rather than wasting my time below sweetspot for the next 2.5 weeks until it's time to test again.
Respectfully, if you think a few sub-threshold workouts over a couple weeks that are performed at 3% lower would make a material difference, then it may be time to think about what physiological adaptations you are expecting from a specific workout, and what you think is not happening as a result of that "lost" 3%.

Seriously.

There's nothing magic about "sweet-spot", nor is it a specific number. Neither is FTP, though many want to pin a # to it.
Old 11-02-17, 01:08 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Hit up the gym tonight.

my race videos
Old 11-02-17, 04:56 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
Respectfully, if you think a few sub-threshold workouts over a couple weeks that are performed at 3% lower would make a material difference, then it may be time to think about what physiological adaptations you are expecting from a specific workout, and what you think is not happening as a result of that "lost" 3%.

Seriously.

There's nothing magic about "sweet-spot", nor is it a specific number. Neither is FTP, though many want to pin a # to it.
To add to this, I don't see any reason at all to continually hold yourself back in workouts like these. If you can push another 10 watts, then do so.

I don't ever test threshold, but I'll continually adjust sweetspot/thr workouts as I go along throughout the year as I gain or lose fitness and fatigue.

Your training is your testing.
Old 11-02-17, 06:53 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Hit up the gym tonight.
I went last night. I'm going every Sunday and Wednesday. Sunday is big weights day. Wednesday is single leg stuff. I'm getting close to a 2x body weight squat and deadlift.

I've been able to mostly control my DOMS with protein shakes and BCAAs.
Old 11-02-17, 02:34 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
back doing the sweet spot routine, went back and started sweet spot base 1 on trainerroad again. I have my training ftp set at 263, which I doubt I could actually do but for training purposes it works for the sweet spot intervals. this week did 3x12, 3x12, and 5x10 sessions (2 of which were at 93%) and felt the right mix of intensity and not wanting to die.
Old 11-02-17, 02:44 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I went last night. I'm going every Sunday and Wednesday. Sunday is big weights day. Wednesday is single leg stuff. I'm getting close to a 2x body weight squat and deadlift.

I've been able to mostly control my DOMS with protein shakes and BCAAs.
I really need to but I keep finding reasons not to go.
Old 11-02-17, 03:08 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
To add to this, I don't see any reason at all to continually hold yourself back in workouts like these. If you can push another 10 watts, then do so.
totally

I do test, and I have interval workouts based on test numbers. But I'm tracking those intervals and always trying to improve the historical best in those. Sometimes I'm improving a single watt. Sometimes it's just about getting through a sequence without falling over.
Old 11-03-17, 07:55 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

I appreciate the knowledge y'all are dropping on me. It was my understanding that the reason we even do sweet spot workouts is it allows us to perform a high quality workout day in and day out without putting excessive fatigue in the legs that would prevent us from being able to do it again the next day. If I'm continually pushing that number up until it's always *hard* I'm going to dig myself into a hole that I won't be able to get out of without excessive rest. But I'd like to learn, so educate me!

Yesterday I had no car in the morning and had to go pick it up after work. So rode it work and then back home. After that I did 4x6 on a nearby hill at about 120%. First one didn't go well but the next three were right there.

Last night I went to a concert and "danced" for 4 hours. Pretty sure that made me more sore than the riding I've been doing .
Old 11-03-17, 08:11 AM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I appreciate the knowledge y'all are dropping on me. It was my understanding that the reason we even do sweet spot workouts is it allows us to perform a high quality workout day in and day out without putting excessive fatigue in the legs that would prevent us from being able to do it again the next day. If I'm continually pushing that number up until it's always *hard* I'm going to dig myself into a hole that I won't be able to get out of without excessive rest. But I'd like to learn, so educate me!
That's certainly true for sweetspot, they definitely should not be maximal efforts for the duration. In fact my recommendation for SST workouts would be that instead of increasing the intensity when you're feeling strong, increase the duration of the intervals and/or decrease the rest between intervals.

I think the point some of the others were making is that sweetspot is a range, so upping your target power by 3 percent probably isn't a big enough change to take you out of that range unless you were already at the very top (which is unlikely if the intervals weren't feeling hard enough).
Old 11-03-17, 08:31 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
Last night I went to a concert and "danced" for 4 hours. Pretty sure that made me more sore than the riding I've been doing .
what did you see?
Old 11-03-17, 08:43 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by TMonk
what did you see?

First EDM show I've ever been to. Decently small venue, but not the smallest I've ever been in (for the number of people). Really good sound system. Could really feel the bass. Made me glad I brought ear protection.

Was fun. A slightly different genre of electronic got played than I was expecting, but was still a great time.
Old 11-03-17, 09:02 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
nice, sounds like a good time. I like to listen to some extended EDM and progressive house mixes when doing extended chores or tasks at home and work. SuicideSheep (Youtube handle) has a lot of good stuff.

back on topic: finishing up core and upper body work at home. Plan to ride another century tomorrow, getting back in shape! This time of the year can be fun; I'm not (yet) burnt out on monotonous volume, and I get stronger by just riding around.
Old 11-03-17, 10:10 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Old 11-03-17, 10:44 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by scheibo
but that's kind of demoralizing.
I did Huddart yesterday and lost to a guy with hairy legs, but still 444w for 5 minutes and re-irritated my tendonitis!

Woohoo cycling.
Old 11-03-17, 11:28 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I've started Trainerroad and will do some of the sessions, mainly intervals over 10 minutes since in the winter its hard to find strips of road I can go for that long nonstop (Oak Glen, Onyx, and other mountains are iced up). The stuff under 1m I'll keep on the road, so it probably wont be more than two sessions a week.

First workout they had me do a 2x8 FTP test (which is kinda odd) and came out really low. My CX bike is on the trainer which meant a 40x11 would spin at 110+ to break 300 watts; so my fatigue was caused my by spinning as fast as I could (which I'm not a spinner) than spinning optimally. I'm leaning toward keeping there but I do think its probably off by 20 (if I did a tt on the road).

All aboard the excuse train!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.