Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chain noise / worn cogs?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Chain noise / worn cogs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-20, 07:49 AM
ddlewis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chain noise / worn cogs?

I recently replaced the chain on my mtb 1x10 slx. I noticed when I was sizing the new chain against the old that the old was stretched. laying the chains on the concrete side by side every foot or so it would be a little bit off. maybe an eighth to 3/16" over the full length. I really let that old chain go to long.

riding circles in the driveway new chain seemed fine but on the trail as soon as i pedal hard it's makes a lot of racket, mostly coming from the rear. noise in every gear. It was nice and quiet before the chain swap. I wonder if my worn chain worked with the worn cogs... and now the new chain is out of synch. or could it be something else. derailleur more or less in adjustment. old and new chains both sram 10spd. 10speed chains are all the same right? any guesses? I would put the old one back to see if noise goes away but I tossed it already.
Old 06-06-20, 08:05 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Sounds like it is cassette replacement time.
Old 06-06-20, 08:10 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Sounds like it is cassette replacement time.
Yes, new chain + old worn cogs = noise + skipping
Old 06-06-20, 09:08 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4208 Post(s)
Liked 3,874 Times in 2,314 Posts
Agreed with the likelihood of worn cogs. This is why savvy home mechanics will replace their chain before it's completely worn out. The chain tends to wear at a fairly linear rate. But the cog teeth see a quickening rate of wear as the chain wear approaches it's end. So by replacing a almost but not yet worn out chain one can generally extend the life of the cogs.

A chain wear aspect that has no way to measure but still effects performance is it's lateral flex. the more worn a chain gets the greater it will flex across the link/pivots. So more overshift movement of the der is required to have the chain shift to the next cog. Replacing the chain before fully worn will keep the shifting feeling best too. Andy
Old 06-06-20, 09:53 AM
ddlewis

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks yall. I'm definitely a half ass bike mechanic, so I like to get second opinions. Cassette ordered, back in business by wed.
Old 06-06-20, 10:18 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by ddlewis
Thanks yall. I'm definitely a half ass bike mechanic, so I like to get second opinions. Cassette ordered, back in business by wed.
Every experience will make you a better mechanic. Soon, you’ll be a three-quarter-assed mechanic and before you know it you’ll be a seven-eighth-assed mechanic.

Andy and others have a lifetime of experience and are in a completely different league than us hacks.
Old 06-06-20, 01:17 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by ddlewis
No; a half-ass mechanic is one who doesn't seek answers for problems or ask questions about how to do things. We all started not knowing much about bicycle repair or even maintenance.

Cheers