Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How many of your centuries finish before dark?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How many of your centuries finish before dark?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-19, 12:06 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I suspect that one's feelings about riding at night are very strongly affected by the geography. As to the OP, I don't think the prospect of the desert at night is very appealing. Oddly, it would likely feel very cold.

For me, most of the roads I'd be going on on long rides are too windy and narrow for me to want to deal with darkness.
I think you're exactly right. I live in the suburbs, In about 10 miles or less I can be in a rural area and be on rural roads for almost a century. Even if I need to go over to the left lane to go around a big hole, drivers never bother me. I think it's because they can easily pass me most of the time. Also after everyone is done coming home from work, there is very little traffic. But there is enough traffic that if I crash or break down someone will eventually find me. When I stay in the suburbs or go to the city the drivers are annoyed by my existence.
I'm in New England.
Old 02-15-19, 12:17 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Here in New York City; finishing with the sun still up depends on the time of year.
Most of my centuries are while volunteering for charity events. NYC Century is in
the summer; should still be plenty bright by the time you finish:
NY Bike MS is usually in the fall; might get a bit dark at the finish line of the 100
mile route if you go too slow:
Old 02-15-19, 12:32 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
I think you're exactly right. I live in the suburbs, In about 10 miles or less I can be in a rural area and be on rural roads for almost a century. Even if I need to go over to the left lane to go around a big hole, drivers never bother me. I think it's because they can easily pass me most of the time. Also after everyone is done coming home from work, there is very little traffic. But there is enough traffic that if I crash or break down someone will eventually find me. When I stay in the suburbs or go to the city the drivers are annoyed by my existence.
I'm in New England.

I'm in NH but do most of my distance riding in MA. The problem with country roads around here at night is that they tend to be winding with rolling hills, which means that cars are often surprised coming up behind you. Also, my old-guy eyes ain't so crazy about seeing potholes in the dark.

Whereabouts do you ride?
Old 02-15-19, 01:07 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I've done a dozen centuries...none ended after dark. They have ranged from six to ten hours, depending on the group, stops, mechanicals, etc. If it is summer, and you begin at a reasonably early hour, it should not be particularly problematic.

If in doubt, it is not that much extra to bring lights and a small reflective vest (like the kind designed for jogging).
Old 02-15-19, 01:53 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by wipekitty
I've done a dozen centuries...none ended after dark. They have ranged from six to ten hours, depending on the group, stops, mechanicals, etc. If it is summer, and you begin at a reasonably early hour, it should not be particularly problematic.

If in doubt, it is not that much extra to bring lights and a small reflective vest (like the kind designed for jogging).

But strapping a relatively heavy light to your helmet in case you need it, like the OP was proposing, sounds like the recipe for hating your ride after the first 50 miles or so. Better kept in a bag or strapped to the bike.
Old 02-15-19, 04:42 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
But strapping a relatively heavy light to your helmet in case you need it, like the OP was proposing, sounds like the recipe for hating your ride after the first 50 miles or so. Better kept in a bag or strapped to the bike.
+1 - don't put extra weight on the helmet if you can avoid it. During my all-night-all-day ride, I had the mount for the NiteRider on my helmet, but only had the light on the helmet in the dark.
Old 02-15-19, 08:07 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
The 20th century finished at Midnight.
Old 02-15-19, 08:50 PM
bgross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Unless your century training plan involved moving from couch to bike in just a couple weeks - and expecting to be able to ride 100 miles? You’ll have plenty of time.

As goes your training, so goes your ride.
Old 02-16-19, 01:10 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Agreed!

I tend to get a bit of a neck ache after using larger helmet mounted lights for an extended period of time. On the bike or in a pocket/saddle bag is definitely the way to go.
Old 02-16-19, 01:57 PM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts
We made it but after dark. I woke up at 4am but involving others (especially my family) meant we didn't leave until 8am.

Any other day I probably would have picked the couch over the saddle. It was 40deg and the there was a wicked crosswind and headwind for miles at a time. My family restocked us for lunch at mile 45 and then we refilled again at mile 70. My took a lot of potty breaks, though.

We were in the crater for about 52 miles and it nearly did us in. That wind... My friend was really worried about the time. She hasn't ridden on big roads and Israelis aren't known for their driving courtesy. Towards the end I attached the light to my rear seat bag and also had a blinky tail light on. By time we got to Eilat, we started using some bike lanes and sidewalks. We got to the hotel at 6:20 instead of 5:20.

I'm super impressed with her. The longest ride she'd done before this was when we rode from Jerusalem to Tell Aviv--50 miles. That route is much Hillier, though. That ride is the longest I've in years, too. We were pacelining at 15-18mph towards the end.

Anyway, I'm glad that's over!

View of Ramon Crater before we started our descent. About a minute later a spooked ibex (think goat on steroids with horns to match) darted from the shoulder in front of me (going 30mph at this point with brakes). Man, that thing had some acceleration! I missed it by about a foot!

We did finally see a camel, but it was in the back of a pickup

Jump to the end. Dipping my bike in the Gulf of Aqaba.
Old 02-16-19, 07:19 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by pennpaul
We made it but after dark. I woke up at 4am but involving others (especially my family) meant we didn't leave until 8am.

Any other day I probably would have picked the couch over the saddle. It was 40deg and the there was a wicked crosswind and headwind for miles at a time. My family restocked us for lunch at mile 45 and then we refilled again at mile 70. My took a lot of potty breaks, though.

We were in the crater for about 52 miles and it nearly did us in. That wind... My friend was really worried about the time. She hasn't ridden on big roads and Israelis aren't known for their driving courtesy. Towards the end I attached the light to my rear seat bag and also had a blinky tail light on. By time we got to Eilat, we started using some bike lanes and sidewalks. We got to the hotel at 6:20 instead of 5:20.

I'm super impressed with her. The longest ride she'd done before this was when we rode from Jerusalem to Tell Aviv--50 miles. That route is much Hillier, though. That ride is the longest I've in years, too. We were pacelining at 15-18mph towards the end.

View of Ramon Crater before we started our descent. About a minute later a spooked ibex (think goat on steroids with horns to match) darted from the shoulder in front of me (going 30mph at this point with brakes). Man, that thing had some acceleration! I missed it by about a foot!

Well done!!
Old 02-16-19, 07:55 PM
2manybikes

I'm in NH but do most of my distance riding in MA. The problem with country roads around here at night is that they tend to be winding with rolling hills, which means that cars are often surprised coming up behind you. Also, my old-guy eyes ain't so crazy about seeing potholes in the dark.

Whereabouts do you ride?
On a map kind of a triangle, the three points would be around Providence R.I. to the Cape Cod Canal to Plymouth. And then back to Providence. That would be the most used area, but, there are good places outside that triangle too. Not many cyclists on the road. I'm on back roads most of the time. The best time for ridding for me is Sunday evening and night. I think everyone is inside thinking about Monday. It's so quiet I can hear cars a long way away at night. Lots of animals around at night.

Last edited by 2manybikes; 02-16-19 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-16-19, 07:56 PM
2manybikes

Awesome!
Old 02-17-19, 03:06 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

You are mad!!!

Congratulations!

Old 02-17-19, 04:36 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts

Nicely done!

I have fond memories of snorkeling in Eilat years ago. It was 35+C and the hot wind was very strong on the beach. I wasn’t riding, but can imagine it would have been a struggle to ride into those winds.
Old 02-18-19, 07:30 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
@pennpaul - Congrats! Love the pics!
Old 02-18-19, 02:46 PM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts
Some more pics

Approximately what the ibex that I almost collided with looked like. They just roam through the town of Mitzpe Ramon.

This was 20 miles in and we were flying high. Little did we know what lay ahead. At mile 45 I grabbed a pair of spare bibs from the car during our lunch break. At mile 52 I changed at a coffee shop. They saved me but I had a hard time finding a comfortable saddle position the rest of the ride. My bum is still sore 2 days later.

The Gulf of Aqaba viewed from the Eilat aquarium observatory. It's apparently the northernmost coral reef. The water looked inviting but was about 70deg. Too cold for me. Lots of fish varieties to be seen, though.
Old 02-18-19, 02:59 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Some more pics

Approximately what the ibex that I almost collided with looked like. They just roam through the town of Mitzpe Ramon.

This was 20 miles in and we were flying high. Little did we know what lay ahead. At mile 45 I grabbed a pair of spare bibs from the car during our lunch break. At mile 52 I changed at a coffee shop. They saved me but I had a hard time finding a comfortable saddle position the rest of the ride. My bum is still sore 2 days later.

The Gulf of Aqaba viewed from the Eilat aquarium observatory. It's apparently the northernmost coral reef. The water looked inviting but was about 70deg. Too cold for me. Lots of fish varieties to be seen, though.
I just hit quote so those pictures would post again. They're great!
Old 02-18-19, 06:24 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Heading out in a couple of hours under an almost FULL MOON for a nice and easy over-nighter finishing when the sun is up. If things go as hoped, 125 to 150 by the time I'm cooked.
Old 02-18-19, 08:18 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 107 Posts
I'm glad your ride went well.
For night riding guidelines, RUSA's (Randonnuers USA) has rules that their members follow for night riding. And they do act as a guideline for others to follow. So, cut and pasted:

"For night riding, vehicles must be equipped with front and rear lights attached firmly to the vehicle. Lights must be turned on at all times during hours of darkness or other low-light conditions (rain, fog, etc.). At least one of the rear lights must be in a steady (rather than flashing) mode. All riders' lights must meet the requirements of local laws. A rider is not permitted to cycle at night or in other low-light conditions without working front and rear lights attached to the vehicle; therefore backup lighting systems and/or spare bulbs are strongly recommended in case the primary system fails and cannot be repaired on the roadside. Each rider, whether riding in a group or alone, must fully comply with this requirement. Everyone must use their lights!During hours of darkness or other low-light conditions, all riders must wear a reflective vest or some other device that clearly places significant reflective material on the front and back of the rider. During these times all riders will also wear a reflective ankle band around each ankle. (Due to their unusual seating position, recumbent riders may modify their reflective torso devices to show better from front and rear.) Other reflective devices on clothing, shoes, helmets, and machines are encouraged for increased safety - but they are extra and may not take the place of the minimum items listed above"
Old 02-18-19, 08:33 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
...and Israelis aren't known for their driving courtesy.
Back in the 80's when I swam daily I went to a public pool, and the Jerusalem YMCAto swim laps. I found the same "lane discipline" and "courtesy" in the pool as on the road.

Any ways, kol hakavod! כול הכבוד (All the honor!)
Old 02-19-19, 10:13 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
@pennpaul what a great set of photos and story.