Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Bike Pedals for Bad Knees

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-20, 08:33 PM
BROOKLINEBIKER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Hi everybody,
I'm seeking advice on finding some clip-in pedals for my Long Haul Trucker that will be easy on my banged up knees. I'm currently using Speedplay Frogs pedals with 2 bolt cleats mounted on Specialized bike shoes. I've been happy with them over the years. Both the pedals and cleats are worn out and I'd like to replace them. I have in hand a pair of new in the box Frogs but lack cleats. Speedplay no longer makes Frog pedals or cleats. I've looked on eBay for replacement cleats and even used cleats are being sold at premium prices. Is there a reasonably priced source of Frogs pedals that I've overlooked? Would it be more cost-effective for me just to change to a new model of pedals? If yes, can you recommend a knee-friendly model?
Old 10-03-20, 10:25 PM
Bob the Mech

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda S6 frameset, custom build (road). 1995 Dawes Genesis Reynolds 531 Competition frameset, custom build (road). 1996 Orange C16R frameset, custom build (retro MTB). Coyote Dual hard-tail, custom build (MTB).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 55 Posts
The word on the street is that the Speedplay Frog pedals have been discontinued. Speedplay Zero Chromoly Pedals have float of 0 - 15°. My Shimano M520s only offer 6°. Speedplay SYZR MTB Pedals offer 10° of float. Crank Brothers Eggbeater 1 clipless pedal have two types cleats that offer 15° or 20° of movement before they release (though reviews of the Crank Brothers pedals aren't glowing with praise).
Old 10-04-20, 08:51 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
If you got banged up knees, make sure you don't mash your way along in high gear ratios. I do think spd will give you more forgiveness in fit than road cleats which lock a foot into one position.

I have always liked my one-sided Shimano PD-A520's as they have a slight platform around them that might keep a foot from rolling too much. Don't know for certain though since they are all I've used for over 10 years. Nothing recent to compare too.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-10-20, 11:27 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
IME the pedal type doesn't make the slightest difference as long as you don't use zero-float cleats, which are quite rare anyway. Almost all pedal systems have many degrees of float. As long as your foot, when you pedal, does not hit the float stops, you can't tell the difference between pedal systems, at least not on the basis of float. In fact some riders with knee issues find zero float systems are best for them because that keeps them from getting knee misalignment.
Old 10-10-20, 01:55 PM
BROOKLINEBIKER

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Hi everybody,
Thanks for your responses.
I have a follow-up question. Would cleats for Speedplay Zero pedals work on Frog pedals?
Old 10-14-20, 07:32 PM
pattrick

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
I have a new pair of cleats I had bought in 2020 I believe, they are still in the plastic. If you live in the U.S. I will gladly send them to you. You can e-mail me your address to pgw220@hotmail.com.
Old 10-28-20, 09:53 AM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
I also have bad knees. I have tried all of the popular systems and found that the Speedplays are the only ones that do not bother my knees. I use SpeedPlay zero's on all my road bikes and no knee issues anymore. If you cannot get the Forgs then I would try the Speedplay road bike versions like the Zero's. Not as good as far as staying clean, but the trade off is more effort keeping them from getting krudded up vs knee problems.
Old 10-28-20, 10:08 AM
BROOKLINEBIKER

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
I also have bad knees. I have tried all of the popular systems and found that the Speedplays are the only ones that do not bother my knees. I use SpeedPlay zero's on all my road bikes and no knee issues anymore. If you cannot get the Forgs then I would try the Speedplay road bike versions like the Zero's. Not as good as far as staying clean, but the trade off is more effort keeping them from getting krudded up vs knee problems.
How do you keep your Frog pedals clean?
Old 10-28-20, 11:35 AM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by BROOKLINEBIKER
How do you keep your Frog pedals clean?
Nothing unique or earth shattering, After a ride I clean them "before" the crud gets dried up..................
Old 10-28-20, 11:51 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I agree with @Carbonfiberboy in that many pedal systems should work for you. If I were you, I would go get a good bike fit. I say that since the fit can (and should) address leg movement. The fitter should be able to try cleat wedges if legs track irregularly. They could also use a cleat spacer if one leg is shorter than the other. Saddle height can also affect your knees so the bike fitter should be able to catch that as well. Actually, if you're going for the fit, then you can ask if you should buy the pedals first or let them recommend something for you.