Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1989ish Dave Tesch S-22 Value?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-18, 04:04 PM
PaigeV

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1989ish Dave Tesch S-22 Value?

This neon, hot pink Tesch S-22 bike has been hanging in my garage, unridden, for at least 14 years. Fourteen years ago I rode it one time, and prior to that it sat unridden for probably 11 years. I am the original owner and loved this bike when I was riding regularly with a group in Philadelphia for a year or two. I could never bring myself to get rid of it. Thirty years and four kids later, I am ready to say good-bye.

I have absolutely no idea of what value to put on it? I swapped out the handlebars in the early '90s in an effort to save my back, and swapped the seat at the same time in an effort to save my ability to have children ;-) Otherwise I think it is all original. Never had an accident, no problems. The paint has faded, but is original.

Any idea of its value? Also, any idea how I can post photos in here since I have not made 10 posts yet?
Old 12-26-18, 04:21 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by PaigeV
This neon, hot pink Tesch S-22 bike has been hanging in my garage, unridden, for at least 14 years. Fourteen years ago I rode it one time, and prior to that it sat unridden for probably 11 years. I am the original owner and loved this bike when I was riding regularly with a group in Philadelphia for a year or two. I could never bring myself to get rid of it. Thirty years and four kids later, I am ready to say good-bye.

I have absolutely no idea of what value to put on it? I swapped out the handlebars in the early '90s in an effort to save my back, and swapped the seat at the same time in an effort to save my ability to have children ;-) Otherwise I think it is all original. Never had an accident, no problems. The paint has faded, but is original.

Any idea of its value? Also, any idea how I can post photos in here since I have not made 10 posts yet?
You may upload your pics to an image hosting site and post a link here. Otherwise you need 10 posts in order to upload directly on this site.
Old 12-26-18, 04:55 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Tesch was a talented builder and his frames garner good reviews. I'm sure there will be interest. List the components as they contribute to the value. From what I can tell, the bikes typically were equipped with nice groups. Condition and size are important so be sure to list the seat tube and top tube measurements when you post your photos.
Old 12-26-18, 06:20 PM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
Just a gut feeling, but seems to me that Tesch bikes are under-appreciated and under-values compared to other builders of the same era (Ritchey and Eisentraut in particular). But that could just be my 'traut-colored glasses.

SP
OC, OR
Old 12-26-18, 06:36 PM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rando_couche
Just a gut feeling, but seems to me that Tesch bikes are under-appreciated and under-values compared to other builders of the same era (Ritchey and Eisentraut in particular). But that could just be my 'traut-colored glasses.

SP
OC, OR
This is true in general for American customs.

OP, we really need pics (multiple) as well as size and a components list.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 12-27-18, 10:18 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
And you did not mention the size... That does influence value.
I have one of these, in that outrageous Hot Neon Pink. 56 cm, Center to top.
Purchased as a frame and fork. Love the bike. This bike is not for everyone, but it is Stiff like a tree trunk.
Chainstays are 25mm at the bottom bracket. Beef.
Unfortunately for value, I must advise that they fly under the radar. The 101's get more attention.
Won mine on an ebay auction, under $200 delivered. Smile for me, frown for the seller.
Old 12-28-18, 08:24 AM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Won mine on an ebay auction, under $200 delivered. Smile for me, frown for the seller.
Quite a nice buy!

Low, but not ridiculously off, I think. Most American Customs are somewhere in the 200-350 range with a (very ) few names pulling more. For frame/fork, natch.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 12-30-18, 08:23 AM
Vonruden

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
And you did not mention the size... That does influence value.
I have one of these, in that outrageous Hot Neon Pink. 56 cm, Center to top.
Purchased as a frame and fork. Love the bike. This bike is not for everyone, but it is Stiff like a tree trunk.
Chainstays are 25mm at the bottom bracket. Beef.
Unfortunately for value, I must advise that they fly under the radar. The 101's get more attention.
I would love to find a Neon Pink in the 59-61cm rane for the price
Old 12-31-18, 04:38 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,492 Posts
Originally Posted by PaigeV

Welcome to the forums! Personally I think you should start riding it again. You can email me some pics and I’ll get them posted for you BianchiGirll@yahoo.com

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 12-31-18, 05:07 PM
GailT

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
There is some info on Dave Tesch in Dave Moulton's blog. Sounds like a very interesting guy.
Old 01-01-19, 08:01 PM
satbuilder 

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 103 Posts
I’ve had 2 of the 101’s and currently have an S-22. I do agree with others the 101’s get more attention and therefore fetch a higher price. The Flintstone style graphics on the S-22’s I think was a drawback for some, although I liked them. Massive chainstays as mentioned make it stiff.
The OP never mentioned how the bike is equipped, this will have an influence on overall value. The 101 I sold in 2003 was full C Record, including Delta brakes, in mint condition, with an extra set of wheels, and I got $1300 for it on the auction site. I sold a 101 frame a couple years ago for $700 and change. The S-22 I picked up thru a CL purchase and got it for $200. Shipping took it to close to $300. 105 equipped, with a couple small dents in the driveline side chainstay, and the wheels had seen better days.
Old 04-12-19, 07:44 AM
Pt71

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you still have the s22?

if you still have the s22 I might be interested ... what size is it