Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Bags for Trek Checkpoint that attach to the hardpoints?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-20, 09:03 AM
Gladius

Bikes: '86 Centurion Elite RS '17 Trek Domane SLR6 Disc '16 Trek Boone 5 '15 Trek Fuel EX 9 '20 Trek Checkpoint SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Are there any bags (top tube, frame bag) that attach to the water bottle braze-on hardpoints?
Seems like, in particular the ones just behind the stem are made exactly for this purpose, but I can't find anything specifically made for this purpose that don't include straps to wrap around the frame.
Old 08-21-20, 09:15 AM
Bulette

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 49 Posts
Revelate makes one. I'm sure there are others.
https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde.../MagTankBoltOn

Edit: I'm only aware of bolt-on top-tube "gas tank" bags. Frame bags are typically much more heavily loaded (sometimes with water), such that they will almost require the additional strapping over and around the top-tube, bottom-tube, and seat-tube; I'm not sure that any frame bags utilize bolt braze-ons.
Old 08-21-20, 10:31 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Can You sew?

there are bags to go in a cage like the 'anything cage' often fitted to fork blade fitted bosses.. [instead of front panniers] ..
you could consider that approach..

https://salsacycles.com/components/c.../anything_cage

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-21-20 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-21-20, 11:33 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
The top tube bosses started in triathlon. There are some strange bags for them if you shop from that angle. There are some single piece plastic ones that wedge open, for instance. The little zipper bags seem all the same to me but you can have some style (like this from Rogue Panda)

Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-21-20, 11:55 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
My Koga Trekking bike had 2 waterborne bosses under the top tube to attach the pump holder clips ,,
Old 08-21-20, 12:08 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,089 Times in 1,182 Posts
I’ve the Revelate MagTank bolt on, on my Cannondale. It’s a great bag. Good size, the wedge shaped tapers at the rear so you don’t hit it with your knees, the bolt on design reduces lean on the bag when you stuff it (an issue with Velcro mounted designs), the clasp is brilliant. I had it in a downpour last Tues., everything stayed dry. Well worth the $65.
Old 08-21-20, 02:32 PM
fourfa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Gladius
Are there any bags (top tube, frame bag) that attach to the water bottle braze-on hardpoints?
Seems like, in particular the ones just behind the stem are made exactly for this purpose, but I can't find anything specifically made for this purpose that don't include straps to wrap around the frame.
Seems like all the responses have been about "bento boxes" or the accessory bags on top of the top tube. Seems like your question was pretty clearly about half or full frame bags, not bentos. I've got a Rogue Panda custom full frame bag on my XL gravel bike with their bolt-on option - so it attaches via the braze-ons on the down tube and seat tube. In my XL size , it also comes with straps on the down tube near the head tube, and on the seat tube at the seatstay junction. Then laces up with shock cord on the top. So it's got two straps instead of the customary five or six.

[After biking across Catalina Island]

My girlfriend's gravel bike in M - she was jealous of my frame bag so we got her a Rogue Panda bolt-on full frame bag as well. In this smaller size it omits the seat tube strap, and just has one near the head tube. Honestly it would probably work fine with no straps at all. In size S I bet they don't include any straps.

I like my Rogue Panda bag but there are many custom makers who offer a bolt-on option. TBH it's purely aesthetic - there's no other real advantage to the lack of straps. I have a fully strap-on frame bag on a different bike, and it's definitely quicker to remove the strap-on bag than to fish around inside the bolt-on bag to remove the screws. For instance when taking Amtrak once for the return leg of a bike tour, the conductor loading the luggage car refused to touch my bike until I removed the empty frame bag for whatever reason. I only had a minute or so to get this done in a panic before the train left. Had this been the bolt on bag, I would not have made it in time.

(Amtrak and their weird and inconsistent bike policies are a totally different thread though)
Old 08-25-20, 01:52 PM
csrpenfab

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I’ve the Revelate MagTank bolt on, on my Cannondale. It’s a great bag. Good size, the wedge shaped tapers at the rear so you don’t hit it with your knees, the bolt on design reduces lean on the bag when you stuff it (an issue with Velcro mounted designs), the clasp is brilliant. I had it in a downpour last Tues., everything stayed dry. Well worth the $65.
Agreed on the Relevate Mag Tank bag and just about any bag they make. I've got the "strap on" version on my Niner and love it. The magnetic closure works very well and it's easy to open and close even while riding.