Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Unique AMP Research B2 full XTR M900

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-22, 08:03 PM
jrking71

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unique AMP Research B2 full XTR M900

I picked up this bike about a decade ago in Newport Beach, CA from a personal friend of Horst Leitner. It was pretty dirty and in serious need of maintenance, but the kid in me that used stop by the LBS every chance I got to ogle the Mongoose Amplifier sitting on their showroom floor insisted I pick it up as a restoration project.

Once I started the restoration I noticed something unique I haven't seen on any other B2. Take a look at the way the chainstay is attached to the front triangle. On every other B2 I've seen there is a mount point/pivot welded to the main triangle, but on this frame there's a removable bracket. Also, I thought it was pretty cool that the serial number under the BB is obviously hand stamped.

Take a look at all the pictures and let me know what you guys think. Interested in hearing thoughts on value and if anyone has ever seen a similar B2.

The original grips were trashed so when I finished the restoration I picked up some classic Ourys that I thought fit the time period of the bike. Also, the tires don't match at all but are on there just so I can occasionally take it for a spin around town.

I'm a newb here so I can't post photos yet but I did upload an album you can see on my profile. Maybe a more seasoned user can post them for me?
Old 06-06-22, 08:52 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,255 Times in 1,311 Posts
pic assist

Old 06-06-22, 08:56 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,255 Times in 1,311 Posts
continued

Old 06-07-22, 12:05 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
You may be able to look up LEitner himself -- If that is truly a one of a kind prototype, it would be tough to put a value on it

I also dabble in motocross and raced in the days when Horst LEitner was an active designer. He was a mad scientist of sorts. That is a very nice bike you have

THE REAL STORY OF AMERICA’S MOST FAMOUS DIRT BIKE DESIGNER: HORST LEITNER - Motocross Action Magazine
Old 06-07-22, 12:52 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
I own a B-2, but mine is more pedestrian, Black and only for rim brakes. the disc mounts are cool.
Only trouble I found was that the removable rear brake bridge gets in the way of tires over 1.9" wide on mine.
I bought it over a decade ago and never built it up, belonged to a "bike of the month" rider. I think he bought an ibis with the flat strip chainstays, "bowtie?"
Old 06-07-22, 08:23 PM
jrking71

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the pic assist!

That would be cool to get some feedback from the man who designed it. Didn't know his roots in motocross ran that deep, thanks for the article link!

Yeah, I remember the brake mounts on the seat stays were a bit of a weak spot with such thin and light tubing. And that little 'butterfly' brace wasn't nearly enough to keep the flex down. I'm not sure I've seen another B2 with rear disc brakes either. The rear hub is just an off the shelf Shimano with drilled and tapped holes and then there's a machined aluminum mount that is attached to the hub. I was able to track down a digital copy of the original owners manual when I was doing the restoration which helped a ton when rebuilding the brakes and rear shock. Both of them were spec'd with plain old ATF instead of shock oil or brake fluid.
Old 06-08-22, 01:55 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 1,083 Posts
great lightweight full suspension bike

great piece of bike history

I have a Litespeed Obed FS with AMP rear triangle / suspension