Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Anyone Commute AND Tour?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Anyone Commute AND Tour?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-12, 06:11 AM
chefisaac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anyone Commute AND Tour?

Was just curious if anyone commutes and tours.
Old 08-24-12, 06:21 AM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chefisaac
If you mean someone who commutes to work regularly and then takes time off work to complete a tour by bycycle then yes. Often the same bike too. Sometimes the Mezzo folder for communte and tour and sometimes the Salsa Vaya.
Old 08-24-12, 06:22 AM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ridefreemc
If you mean someone who commutes to work regularly and then takes time off work to complete a tour by bycycle then yes. Often the same bike too. Sometimes the Mezzo folder for communte and tour and sometimes the Salsa Vaya.
Can I get your opinion on this topic please?

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...7#post14646297
Old 08-24-12, 08:16 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Yes, I'll reply on your other thread.
Old 08-24-12, 02:40 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Yes. I commute AND tour.
Old 08-24-12, 02:50 PM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Pretty much the only kind of riding I do is commute and tour.
Old 08-24-12, 03:31 PM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Commute to work every day. Don't get to tour as often as I want because it seems that I'm always commuting.
Old 08-24-12, 05:31 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I tour often... but usually only as far as the office.
Old 08-24-12, 06:22 PM
ezdoesit

Bikes: Fuji Touring 2008

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Absolutely
Old 08-24-12, 06:35 PM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
Yes. I commute AND tour.
+1 The only time I do recreational/fitness rides is on my fg.
Old 08-24-12, 06:43 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Not at the same time. Wait, what was the question again?
Old 08-24-12, 09:19 PM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Yes. I like the relaxed geometry of touring bikes for my commute. And some of them actually gain stability and a smoother ride when loaded for touring.
Old 08-24-12, 09:41 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
I commute and tour...well I use to commute till I got laid off. And touring for the time being has been limited to just weekends because I don't, or didn't have enough time to tour across the USA in 2 weeks! and besides, any vacations needed to be with my wife not with my bike. Even though now I'm laid off I'm not about to take off for 4 to 5 months to bike around America when I need to be looking for work. So the USA trip has to wait for retirement.
Old 09-03-12, 08:09 PM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Can I get your opinion on this topic please?

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...7#post14646297
Not sure exactly what is being asked there, but I will ramble a bit to see if something I write helps you out.

I enjoy a smooth riding bike when i tour or commute so I would not be comfortable on my mountain bike. The one you show looks very capable for touring - especially with the smoother and narrower tires. I prefer a bike with 700c wheels and 35-40mm wide tires (smooth).

As far as touring equipment goes you can get out and tour on very little at first, and then as your budget allows you can add to your inventory. Best to try stuff out and get some experience touring before one invests in a lot of gear. Most often you really don't need everything that you brought with you (or that you thought you needed). Two panniers have done me fine many times.

Have you tried a few S24Os (sub-24 hour overnight rides)? They are a lot of fun in a short period of time. I can leave my house early afternoon on a Saturday, ride 30-40 miles, camp out, and ride home. No need to bring food for cooking, just bring a few things to eat and catch a meal on the way home (breakfast).

Also, relative to gear there are a few places online to pick up some nice used gear. Some of the classified sections of hiking, kayaking, and motorcycling forums have had some pretty nice stuff in good shape.

i love planning the trip too. You see so much on a short tour and learn a lot about the area, your equipment, and yourself.

One of my favorite S24Os is riding about 20 miles to a KOA with one of my children, renting a little one room cabin, and heading home the next day. Don't need to carry much at all. Can have the rest of the family drive down and join us at the pool and for dinner.

I would try what you have first. If you like touring then find a nice touring/commuting bike. My Vaya comes complete for about $1300, but you don't need to spend that much to get a nice bike. Go easy on the equipment - save your money and buy as you determine what your needs are.

Last edited by Ridefreemc; 09-03-12 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-03-12, 08:28 PM
AsanaCycles
Bicycle Lifestyle

Bikes: Neil Pryde Diablo, VeloVie Vitesse400, Hunter29er, Surly Big Dummy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I haven't owned a car for over 10yrs now.
so of course I commute to work on the bike
and yes, my favorite vacation/headspace is to get on the bike and do a tour, or simply just wonder.

I just finished a ride down the coast from Astoria.
Old 09-03-12, 09:54 PM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sure!
Old 09-03-12, 11:20 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Ridefreemc
I prefer a bike with 700c wheels and 35-40mm wide tires (smooth).

As far as touring equipment goes you can get out and tour on very little at first, and then as your budget allows you can add to your inventory. Best to try stuff out and get some experience touring before one invests in a lot of gear. Most often you really don't need everything that you brought with you (or that you thought you needed). Two panniers have done me fine many times.

Have you tried a few S24Os (sub-24 hour overnight rides)? They are a lot of fun in a short period of time. I can leave my house early afternoon on a Saturday, ride 30-40 miles, camp out, and ride home. No need to bring food for cooking, just bring a few things to eat and catch a meal on the way home (breakfast).

Also, relative to gear there are a few places online to pick up some nice used gear. Some of the classified sections of hiking, kayaking, and motorcycling forums have had some pretty nice stuff in good shape.

I would try what you have first. If you like touring then find a nice touring/commuting bike. My Vaya comes complete for about $1300, but you don't need to spend that much to get a nice bike. Go easy on the equipment - save your money and buy as you determine what your needs are.
Plus 1 one these points.

The wider tires do provide more comfort and they last longer too.

And yes, short 24 hour or 48 hour weekend trips are a great way to figure out what works and what doesn't. One of the reasons why I went with a 4 seasons the Terra Nova Wild Country Sololite
tent instead of a cheaper lighter 3 seasons was the fact that 3 season tents wasn't strong enough for winds above 40 or 50 mph, and when doing a long cross country tour you could run into that and more; even though the 4 seasons tent weighed 2 pounds more I felt it was worth it.

I also found out that my lightweight 2 pound or so down sleeping bag wasn't necessary so I tried a 8 oz Sol Escape Bivvy bag and I like it, plus it was dirt cheap compared to a regular bag and it packed down to a very small size. So now the weight I gained going to a nicer stronger tent I got back because of the lighter bag. Plus some things you take along thinking you'll need and you get out there and find out you don't need it, or vice a versa.

There are other things too I like, such as the Peak Oly Elite sleeping pad, it's light and comfortable; and it's a 4 season pad meaning it will have better insulation then other pads between you and the ground.

For a stove I carry the lightweight MSR Whisperlite beside weight it can use any fuel.

For starting fires I carry a variety of stuff to make sure I get a fire, storm proof matches in a water proof hard plastic container; and a magnesium fire starter made by Aurora. Then take some drier lint with you for starter and/or you can get various fire starting fuels from tinder to paste to solid pellet or sticks of fuel.

Other stuff as well, but this stuff is what I like to use, you may not, so you need to go and try the stuff you think you might like on short trips to see what works. Some people say you can do this in your own back yard, this is true, but stuffing the stuff into a bike and pedaling somewhere and then deploying and using your camping gear is the true experiment.

A used touring bicycle can be had for under $800 and most of these either never got used that much or was used on one touring trip. There was someone here that bought a used Trek 520 for $150 and it was in great condition. But if you want new take a look at the Kuna Sutra, or the Trek 520, or the Fuji Tour, or the Surly Long Haul Trucker touring bikes. Any of those 4 touring bikes can be found for under $1,500 new and all are very highly rated touring bikes. Of the four I think the Trek is the most expensive and the Kona is the lowest costing of the 4.
Old 09-04-12, 05:46 AM
goalieMN
Got Scotch?

Bikes: QR Kilo, Specialized Crossroads

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1991 Diamnondback Ascent converted to a SS with fenders and a rack to commute. Surly LHT to tour.
Old 09-04-12, 10:33 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Why, did you think it was exclusive, one Or the other when you asked?
Old 09-05-12, 03:45 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Why, did you think it was exclusive, one Or the other when you asked?
nope, just wanted to see if people do both or not and also get opinions to the thread that I cross linked to.
Old 09-05-12, 07:37 PM
hilltowner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
That description fits me to a "T" and I use the same bike for both: a vintage Bridgestone MB-1 with Softride suspension stem, old pair of Scott aerobars mounted on a flat mt. bar with bar ends. I leave the rear racks on for the commuting season. Thinking about experimenting with the front low riders for commuting at least a bit this fall. I put a handlebar bag on for the tours but never use it commuting. My tours are fairly ambitious and last about two weeks. I look for road surfaces that will be a challenge: Maine logging roads, forest service fire roads in VT, Highway 389 in Quebec between Lab City and Baie Comeau. This summer it was the K & P trail in Ontario. Getting to and from the more challenging sections usually requires long stretches of pavement so I run on 1.5 " Schwalbe Marathons with a fairly road-friendly tread design but aggressive enough for the gravel and crud that is to come. I switch to S Marathon Winters when the ice starts to form on my commuting route.

Last edited by hilltowner; 09-05-12 at 07:41 PM.