Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Eroica Riders - Rules Stressing Me Out!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-16, 05:23 PM
Bjbusa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First of all, I'm not a worry wart, but this makes me nervous.....So if I pull up to the line in April for Erocia CA with my 1988 OEM Serotta Colorado are the Erocia Police going to evict me because it's not 1987 or earlier - "Any registered cyclist who arrives at the start line or found on the route on the day of the ride with a bicycle/components that do not conform with the criteria set forth by the event organizers may face an immediate disqualification upon discovery"

Are they out hunting for clothing or component violators? Anybody had a negative experience or any solid advice they want to share.

It's not pocket change to participate, not to mention the 5 hour drive for me from
Olympic Valley/Squaw.....just don't want the stress worrying about missing something clothing/component or frame wise and then not even getting to participate!
Old 01-21-16, 05:34 PM
Jakenks

Bikes: Paramount Series II, Gitane Tour De France (2), Raleigh Superbe, Centurion Super Tour 15

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, if the rules say 1987 and you have a 1988, I'd say you run a risk of being disqualified. Just my guess. Call them and ask.
Old 01-21-16, 05:35 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
well, I have said it before, but the routes are public and there will be plenty of other traffic.. cars, motos and the like. they can't actually stop you from riding the route even if you don't pay and don't conform. you just wont get the food and parties
Old 01-21-16, 05:41 PM
Numbskull

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't imagine you would have a problem provided you have down tube shifters, 32 spoke wheels, and toe clips.
I note they allow the new Bianchi classic bike as well as newer custom frames outfitted with vintage components so I don't think they will quibble with a steel frame from 87'.
I'd also note that the organizer sometimes posts here and you could always check with him.

"Vintage-Looking Bikes with steel frame from new or recent construction with vintage look and characteristics may be used only if they are road racing bikes assembled using vintage components or replicated parts similar to the original as described above. In particular if the bikes are inspired by the design of road racing bicycles of the 1970’s and 1980’s, they must comply with rules a), b), and c) above, regarding shift levers, toe clips and straps, and brake cables."

As for clothing, my understanding is that they suggest rather than require vintage outfits. Certainly many of the riders in Italy (and in pictures of 2015 CA event) were not dressed in vintage wear.

Last edited by Numbskull; 01-21-16 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-21-16, 05:47 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
What we have here, is a failure to communicate.

Better be prepared to spend a night in the box!
Old 01-21-16, 05:50 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
The rules are pretty straightforward, either your bike complies or it doesn't.
I'm not sure what's so stressful about reading the rules and complying, unless it's not complying but hoping not to get caught.

1-If your 1988 Serotta has a "vintage look and characteristics" and is a road racing bike assembled using vintage or replicated parts, then it appears fine.
2-If your 1988 has "OEM" brake levers, a bike the level of a Serotta may well have aero brake cable routing, which is not allowed. Good way to ruin the day.

I recommend looking at the rules and then looking at your bike, and making sure it complies.
If it doesn't, and they DQ you, that's the way it goes. That's the way it's supposed to go.

I still don't see the stress in it. Why would anyone enter if he/she didn't have a qualifying bike?
Old 01-21-16, 06:01 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by jetboy
well, I have said it before, but the routes are public and there will be plenty of other traffic.. cars, motos and the like. they can't actually stop you from riding the route even if you don't pay and don't conform. you just wont get the food and parties
I agree, but don't understand the need to do so on that day and time. I see it a lot at bicycle events, people tagging along, eating at rest stops, etc, without paying. They are a liability hazard, as well. EMS is there for registered participants.

I don't get why anyone would want to participate and not conform. The route can be ridden any time, right? I don't get that mentality.

When I score races, there is almost always a bandit runner or two. They use a number from another race, start with the crowd, and cross the finish line as if they paid and are part of the race. I've never understood that. It screws up the scoring. I guess some people are stuck in the sixth grade. As a scorer, I make sure to "pull their tag." Since they aren't wearing a pull tag, this has resulted in a torn shirt about half the time. Oops. Then, of course, we share their name, address, and all info we have on them (generally from another race they actually entered) with other scoring firms. They're barred from registering at events mine and other firms score, generally for a year.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 01-21-16 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-21-16, 06:42 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,805 Times in 1,409 Posts
Post a picture of the bike.

Pretty easy to see if it complies.
Old 01-21-16, 06:52 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Post a picture of the bike.

Pretty easy to see if it complies.
Agreed.

Stress about a bike ride?

There is plenty of stress nowadays w/o inventing it over a bike ride for goodness sakes.
Old 01-21-16, 06:53 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
Friction shifting, non-aero brakes and toe clips on a steel framed bike regardless of yhe year it was produced will pass muster. Don't overthink this.
Old 01-21-16, 06:56 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by northbend
Friction shifting, non-aero brakes and toe clips on a steel framed bike regardless of yhe year it was produced will pass muster. Don't overthink this.
Clear thinking.
Old 01-21-16, 07:02 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 283 Posts
Relax. Just show up in your monkey suit and no one will notice your bike.

Old 01-21-16, 07:05 PM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Done!
Old 01-21-16, 07:10 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
heh. I was not saying that riding anyway was not a d&** move, but if they were such that they would take your money and then disqualify you on a technicality - i'd probably just say ok... thats fine, here is my number, ill see you out there on the road.

good news is its a moot point because like they say, it can be a 2016 if you stick the right looking components on it.

Last edited by jetboy; 01-21-16 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-21-16, 07:53 PM
Stevensb 

Bikes: Condor, Cinelli SC, MKM Metcalfe, Peugeot AE08, Bianchi, Cougar, Miyata, Harry Hall, Holdsworth Special, Raleigh Int'l, Le Croco, Bob Jackson, Zeus

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 53 Posts
I've ridden both Gaiole and Hispania and seen non-compliant bikes at both - the worst being a mountain bike at Hispania. They had numbers but how they got past the "check" is beyond me. There's a lot going on at the start of these rides and scrutinizing bikes doesn't seem like a big priority. Having said that, why not play by the rules? Pretty simple and will remove the stress.

Brad
Old 01-21-16, 08:11 PM
Bjbusa

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sound Advice from the Sages!.......now that's what I was looking for and why this site ROCKS!
I think I have found a new Home!

See ya on the starting Line in April!
Old 01-21-16, 08:50 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Bjbusa
Sound Advice from the Sages!.......now that's what I was looking for and why this site ROCKS!
I think I have found a new Home!

See ya on the starting Line in April!
Just buy that Olympic Sport, or some other vintage toe clip era bike. You know you want a new bike anyway... More bikes are better. Them's the rules.
Old 01-21-16, 08:53 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict

Good thinking; I'm a little worried that Robbie will think this is what the C&V crowd needs to do to stand out at the Dare,
Old 01-21-16, 09:23 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict

Just make sure it's a monkey suit in the style of 1987 or earlier monkey suits, or people will get suspicious and investigate your gear further.
Old 01-21-16, 09:52 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Last year, I saw zero effort going into checking bikes or gear. Go to Classic Rendezvous and check out the photos of the 2015 Eroica California - there are links to tons of photos on the main CR page. That will show you many of the riders, and if memory serves it will show you that not everyone was a walking replica of 1965.

Of course, those of us who were/are will point and laugh at you mercilessly, but you'll get over it in a few weeks.

Seriously, try to more or less look the part and everything will be cool and you'll have a great time.
Old 01-22-16, 03:12 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
last few times i participated, the people checking the bikes weren't exactly bike encyclopeias on two legs, and i didn't see radio-carbon analytic equipment, either.
I registered 2 of my rides for the photo shoot and had more or less to fill out the description for them. No one had ever heard of ICS-modified Campagnolo parts, for example.

So unless your bike has "Built in 1988!!!" in tall letters all over it (and in italian), i guess it is between yourself and your conscience.

The regulation exists so that the spirit of the whole event, to ride these historic trails on vintage equipment, is held up and not spoilt by many using clipless or even MTBs (as happened in the early Eroicas), and this is what they will check, in my experience.
As long as your bike complies with that, you should be fine.

Disclaimer: As my last Eroica was a few years back, i don't really know how strict they've become...
Old 01-22-16, 05:30 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
First of all, I'm not a worry wart, but this makes me nervous.....So if I pull up to the line in April for Erocia CA with my 1988 OEM Serotta Colorado are the Erocia Police going to evict me because it's not 1987 or earlier - "Any registered cyclist who arrives at the start line or found on the route on the day of the ride with a bicycle/components that do not conform with the criteria set forth by the event organizers may face an immediate disqualification upon discovery"

Are they out hunting for clothing or component violators? Anybody had a negative experience or any solid advice they want to share.

It's not pocket change to participate, not to mention the 5 hour drive for me from
Olympic Valley/Squaw.....just don't want the stress worrying about missing something clothing/component or frame wise and then not even getting to participate!
I think you'll be fine as long as you learn the correct spelling of their ride before the start.
Old 01-22-16, 05:44 AM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by martl
last few times i participated, the people checking the bikes weren't exactly bike encyclopeias on two legs
+1 to this. Just put a pic on this forum and watch the dating process in action!
Old 01-22-16, 06:07 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
...this makes me nervous..... are the Erocia Police going to evict me because it's not 1987 or earlier.............
It's not pocket change to participate, not to mention the 5 hour drive .....just don't want the stress worrying about missing something
The rules are simple.... 87 or older. The question is why on Earth would you deny yourself the pleasure fully emerging yourself into the true spirt of the ride?!?!? You have plenty of time to find and prepare a bicycle that will transport you to the era the ride hopes to relive. I'd jump in with both feet and acquire a 70's something (steel rims and all). Then step back in time with a large group of others doing the same. It should be FUN.
Old 01-22-16, 06:11 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
The rules are simple.... 87 or older. The question is why on Earth would you deny yourself the pleasure fully emerging yourself into the true spirt of the ride?!?!? You have plenty of time to find and prepare a bicycle that will transport you to the era the ride hopes to relive. I'd jump in with both feet and acquire a 70's something (steel rims and all). Then step back in time with a large group of others doing the same. It should be FUN.
Well maybe not the steel rims,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.