Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How to obtain a Motobecane road bike frame

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-16, 08:09 AM
errantlinguist

Bikes: 1983 Raleigh Royal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dear fellow vintage riders,

How/where is it possible in the 21st century to find and obtain a specific bike frame, namely a Motobecane diamond road bike frame with a 54-55cm horizontal toptube length (about 54cm in height given the Motobecanes I've been in contact with) in that particular bright grass green color from Motobecane, such as in the photo below?

A couple of months ago I and my road bike got into a fight with a car and lost and my bike got all bent up about it-- literally. I got a replacement bike but I look at the new bike and I just feel "meh" about it. I'm even more difficult than that because I found some other Motobecanes for sale which are quite similar to mine but don't have such a beautiful color, and once I saw someone on a mixte city bike in exactly the same color as mine and I felt so happy... and then sad because I realized I didn't have one anymore.

Many sentimental thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Side.jpg (108.4 KB, 664 views)
Old 01-22-16, 08:13 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
What's a "diamond" Motobecane frame? Your profile says it was a 1971 Moto?
Old 01-22-16, 08:29 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy
What's a "diamond" Motobecane frame? Your profile says it was a 1971 Moto?
As a linguist, the OP is probably referring to the horizontal top tube design, which gives his Nomade the oft referenced "diamond" shaped design formed by the 2 triangles.

I can help with a red Super Mirage frame, but no green frame, but for an apple green Moto mixte.
Old 01-22-16, 09:16 AM
rootboy 

Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Ah. I see. Thanks.
Old 01-22-16, 09:32 AM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

nice pic.

my advice: scour ebay, bikeforums and craigs (in multiple cities) for a grand record or a le champion.

i paid $400 or so for my g.record on ebay knowing the frame was straight and the original paint was 9/10. then i overhauled the hell out of it.

great bikes.
Old 01-22-16, 09:34 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by errantlinguist
Dear fellow vintage riders,

How/where is it possible in the 21st century to find and obtain a specific bike frame, namely a Motobecane diamond road bike frame with a 54-55cm horizontal toptube length (about 54cm in height given the Motobecanes I've been in contact with) in that particular bright grass green color from Motobecane, such as in the photo below?

A couple of months ago I and my road bike got into a fight with a car and lost and my bike got all bent up about it-- literally. I got a replacement bike but I look at the new bike and I just feel "meh" about it. I'm even more difficult than that because I found some other Motobecanes for sale which are quite similar to mine but don't have such a beautiful color, and once I saw someone on a mixte city bike in exactly the same color as mine and I felt so happy... and then sad because I realized I didn't have one anymore.

Many sentimental thanks.
Sorry about your accident. That is indeed a cool color of green.

Unfortunately, replacement frames for that bike probably have not been available for at least 40 years. (if they ever were)

If you look around for a while, you will find an old Motobecane that you like as much or more, but the green could be difficult. I don't think I've seen that color before. Maybe take this opportunity to move up a model or two to a Grand Touring or something. Buying a vintage bike is a little like fishing: you don't necessarily get to pick what bites your hook.
Old 01-22-16, 09:50 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Sorry to learn of your accident and loss.

To find a Moto you could post in this and several other forums, they all have ISO threads. Craigslist is hit or miss.
Or you could move-on with another C&V purchase. Lots of good ones out there.

edit: anytime I've branched out (with C&V bikes) I was surprised at all the nice rides out there. Fair deals on very good used bikes are abundant. Broaden your options and look at this situation as an opportunity to explore.

Last edited by Wildwood; 01-22-16 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-22-16, 10:58 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Are you in the States or overseas? That's not a familiar Moto color to me either, but the fact that you saw another one in your city makes me wonder if maybe it's a European color not sold in the US.

If it's that particular color that gets you going (and I agree, it's a really nice color), you might be in for a long search. Otherwise, like others said, try to broaden your parameters. I'd begin by analyzing what else about your old bike you found so satisfying - frame geometry, componentry, lug work, etc. and look for something similar. Maybe something like a Raleigh Super Course...which also came in an excellent green, though not precisely like your old bike.
Old 01-22-16, 01:26 PM
errantlinguist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2
As a linguist, the OP is probably referring to the horizontal top tube design, which gives his Nomade the oft referenced "diamond" shaped design formed by the 2 triangles.
Exactly... I thought "diamond" was the "proper" way of referring to them (cf. Sheldon Brown)? Until a few years ago, I'd always called them "men's" bikes (as opposed to the step-through "women's" bikes), but those terms seem to no longer be en vogue.
Old 01-22-16, 01:31 PM
errantlinguist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
Are you in the States or overseas? That's not a familiar Moto color to me either, but the fact that you saw another one in your city makes me wonder if maybe it's a European color not sold in the US.
I'm in Europe, so that may exactly be the issue. In fact, there is also a gorgeous cobalt blue with the same luster which I've occasionally seen here (but personally still isn't quite as cool as the green)... I guess that color isn't in the US either?
Old 01-28-16, 07:27 AM
errantlinguist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
Maybe something like a Raleigh Super Course...which also came in an excellent green, though not precisely like your old bike.
Is it possible that the Raleigh Super Course was sold under other names?-- the only mention of them I can find online all seem to be from North America.
Old 01-28-16, 10:25 AM
CuttersRidge

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Is it possible that the Raleigh Super Course was sold under other names?-- the only mention of them I can find online all seem to be from North America.
I think Raleigh did sell bikes under different names in the US compared to UK, I will read some British bike forums and the names, at least in some cases seemed way different.

I happen to have a green Motobecane Nomade frame. Maybe this is the same color but I note, Motobecane seems to have kept their names. Of course, my frame is not the more classy bicycle you seem to have with the duo colored headtube.

An old (Apple?) Green Mirage below, perhaps the chrome tipped fork is the big difference from the Nomade. The Motobecanes certainly had a wide-array of colors.

Old 01-28-16, 10:36 AM
CuttersRidge

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Exactly... I thought "diamond" was the "proper" way of referring to them (cf. Sheldon Brown)? Until a few years ago, I'd always called them "men's" bikes (as opposed to the step-through "women's" bikes), but those terms seem to no longer be en vogue.
Yes, that is a proper way many describe these bicycles.
Old 01-28-16, 12:48 PM
CuttersRidge

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
@errantlinguist:

Has one tried French Ebay? Here right now, are a number of Motobecanes (Butterpecans someone once told me as a pun).

https://www.ebay.fr/sch/i.html?_from=...+velo&_sacat=0 (ebay.fr)

I like the bike you had, I think someone had a Grand Tourer similar to that, whom I knew. I always really liked that bike.
Old 01-28-16, 01:23 PM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Diamond = "boys" bike and Step Through = "girls" bike. Ugh. Those were the days.....and still are.

Good luck on your search.
Old 01-28-16, 01:46 PM
kroozer 
vintage motor

Bikes: 48 Automoto, 49 Stallard, 50 Rotrax, 62 Jack Taylor, 67 Atala, 68 Lejeune, 72-74-75 Motobecanes, 73 RIH, 71 Zieleman, 74 Raleigh, 78 Windsor, 83 Messina (Villata), 84 Brazzo (Losa), 85 Davidson, 90 Diamondback, 92 Kestrel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 79 Posts
If you're going to be that specific then you might be in for a long and frustrating wait. In the meantime there are lots of other beautiful bikes out there; I would get some else that tickles my fancy, and then just sort of keep an eye out in case a green Moto happens to come along.
Old 01-28-16, 02:58 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by kroozer
If you're going to be that specific then you might be in for a long and frustrating wait. In the meantime there are lots of other beautiful bikes out there; I would get some else that tickles my fancy, and then just sort of keep an eye out in case a green Moto happens to come along.
Get one you like and redo it with green paint and decals. You'll have something to ride while waiting for the grail. Good luck!
Old 01-28-16, 03:22 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
You can ask ebay to keep a watch for you with specific search terms. I do the same with craigslist using google alerts. For instance, if I were looking for a Motobecane Grand Jubile, I would set up a google alert with the terms "motobecane grand jubile site:newyork.craigslist.org" or some such. I find some pretty good stuff that way. It can take months or years, depending on how common it is and how much I'm willing to pay. I usually like to pay bottom dollar, so I trade time waiting for savings.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-28-16, 03:55 PM
CuttersRidge

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's Jubilee , no wonder it took awhile!
Old 01-28-16, 06:44 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
motobécane (and maybe ben lawee) spelled "jubilé" a couple different ways over the years.
Old 01-29-16, 08:58 PM
motogeek 

Bikes: '86 Veloce, 72 Moto Le Champ , 72 Moto G.R., 75 Moto G.J. , 74 Moto G.R. frame, (2) 75 Moto G.J. mixte, numerous ballooners

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 65 Posts
The earlier models were, in fact, spelled "Jubile". The 74 I bought new and the two 75s I have now were all spelled that way. If you're looking for a red Grand Jubile email me at dbgard531@yahoo.com.

I remember green Motos in about 76 or 77, usually in the lower half of the product line.
Old 01-30-16, 03:25 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,602 Times in 1,764 Posts
Here you go: for sale

Last edited by non-fixie; 01-30-16 at 11:36 AM. Reason: added pic
Old 01-30-16, 07:36 AM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
I remember the term diamond frame back when I was a kid in the 60s. It not only differentiated it from step throughs, but curved top, camel back frames as well. 70s Motos are reasonably common here in the US. Here, the 54cm will be called 21 inch. I've had my GT since new in 76. Always liked that bike. Good luck.
Old 01-30-16, 11:22 AM
Falcon3

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You can exchange money for goods or services, such as a Motobecane bike.

All kidding aside, the Craigslist/eBay crawlers are your best bet- then using the forum to try to find someone to facilitate for you.
Old 01-30-16, 02:42 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
This single speed mutation of a 1974 Grand Touring has been floating around on NY CL for at least 6 months. Very overpriced at $215, but ad suggests flexible on pricing.

Single speed motobance bike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.