Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Any experience with TriCruiser?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Any experience with TriCruiser?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-04, 10:55 AM
MrEWorm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone have experience with this budget tadpole? www.AmeriCruiser.com
Old 07-03-04, 10:59 AM
sukispop
Errand Boy for my girls

Bikes: Greenspeed GTO 20/20 trike, Rans Fusion(semi-recumbent bike), Burley Django recumbent, Marin Larkspur city bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi MrEWorm,

A similar question was posted on BROL(Bent Rider On Line). I have no experience with the Tricruiser, so I can't really comment on it. A few years back, I was kinda interested in it for my young daughter, who just didn't like riding a two wheeler...but I dismissed the idea because of the department store/Walmart bike component selection that's used on this $799 trike.

A BROL member posted these comments:

Shakey
Unregistered User
(3/18/04 1:57 pm)
Reply Tricrusier
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Just posted my opinion of the Tricruiser in another thread, but here goes again. Sorry to repeat myself, but I have to say that the Tricrusier is a pile of junk. Don't waste your money. I bought one a couple of years age. I found Sid a decent guy to communicate with, but his product is definitely "backyard homebuilders quality" I have had many trikes, and I have to say that the Tricrusier is the worst that I have seen. It handles terribly, is unstable in turns, and the seat is torture. I would compare it's stability and handling to that of a Radio-flyer Coaster Wagon. All parts that aren't home made, are "Huffy kids bike" quality.
Sorry to sound so harsh, but I would hate to see anyone else waste money on one of those things, like I did."

'Hope this may be of help. Please keep in mind that these comments are just the opinion of this particular BROL member, and not the critique of a professional bicycle reviewer(but this doesn't mean that the member's comments aren't valid either). Also remember that any/all of the components used on this trike can probably be upgraded to better quality parts...but for more $, of course.

My suggestion, fwiw, is to wait for soon-to-be-arriving Sun EZ-3 TX tadpole trike, which is going to retail for around $995--not a whole lot more than the cost of the American Tricruiser, but a whole lot more trike(imho)! The EZ trike models have been getting very good reviews, and are a great value for the buck! I checked Sun's website, but there's no mention or announcement of this new model yet. Here's a pic of the new EZ-3 TX:

Good luck, and take care.

Last edited by sukispop; 07-03-04 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-05-04, 01:00 PM
MrEWorm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't know about suns new bike, I'll wait for it to show up localy. Thanks.
Old 03-31-17, 05:41 PM
trikelizard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tricruiser opinion

I've had my tricruiser for 3 months and I ride several days a week. I bought it because I wanted to take my Rottweiler with me and he can no longer keep up. This trike has the option for a carrier that accommodates him. I'm almost 61 and my 48 years as a martial artist has taken its toll on my hips and knees, making it difficult to ride my bikes without pain.
The higher seating position makes it easier to get in and out of it. I've made some personal modifications, new seat and shocks for the carrier, but otherwise it's been great as built. I have the Tuff frame because of my 200+ weight and my large dog on the back. I ride on slopes and small hills so I got the 21 speed. I've had no problems with it and now I'm able to get some aerobic exercise in again. I used to run and ride bikes. Now, I'm enjoying the ride again.

I hope this helps if you're considering this trike. I had difficulty on getting information when I was checking it out so u thought I'd add my 2 cents.
Old 03-31-17, 05:55 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
This Zombie Thread had been sleeping soundly since 2004.