Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Shimano Chain HYPERGLIDE - SIL-TEC coating is a pain in the rear

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-21, 12:50 PM
dugla

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I have a Shimano chain that is pre-coated with HYPERGLIDE - SIL-TEC high tech, blah blah. I hate it! Here's why. I have started using Hardcore Labs Chain Butter which is amazing. Makes my chain just purr (with a lovely buttered popcorn aroma). However, the chain coating and the chain butter interact to create this ugly, brown, coating that looks like rust - but is not. When I clean the chain with dish soap and water the chain looks like crap. Over time the chain butter collects as a brown sludge.

I hate this chain!

Has anyone got a solution to this?

Cheers,
Doug
Old 06-26-21, 01:11 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,759 Posts
KMC, SRAM? Change your lube.....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-26-21, 01:17 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,970 Times in 1,918 Posts
If the lube is reacting that way to that style chain, it would be a prime time to use a different kind of chain if that changing the lube is not an option.

I have not used that type of lube with that type of chain.
Old 06-26-21, 01:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
Maybe follow their instructions/tips
For Best Results- Using Hardcore Chain & Gear Cleaner, thoroughly clean your chain, cassette, crank, and anything else greasy and grimy. Use a brush, toothbrush, or that chain cleaning contraption to scrub the chain and drive train. Allow these parts to completely dry before lubing.
That or use a different chain lube or chain. Honestly I like the lube I am currently using but any good bike specific lube will probably work just fine and I don't need it to smell like popcorn. In fact I really don't want my chain lube to smell of popcorn, it doesn't need a smell it is a lubricant not a sauce.
Old 06-26-21, 03:19 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Maybe follow their instructions/tips

That or use a different chain lube or chain. Honestly I like the lube I am currently using but any good bike specific lube will probably work just fine and I don't need it to smell like popcorn. In fact I really don't want my chain lube to smell of popcorn, it doesn't need a smell it is a lubricant not a sauce.
shmuck on Open Pit or Sweet Baby Ray's for that official Summer smelling century. I'd prefer Franks RH, I put that shtuff on everything.
Old 06-26-21, 03:39 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
I don’t think the chain is the real problem here.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-26-21, 04:08 PM
dugla

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Does it make sense to strip the high tech coating from the chain or is that shooting myself in the foot?
Old 06-26-21, 04:31 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

How would you strip the Sil-Tec, how would you know it was gone?
Old 06-26-21, 05:49 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4406 Post(s)
Liked 4,857 Times in 3,004 Posts
Originally Posted by dugla
Does it make sense to strip the high tech coating from the chain or is that shooting myself in the foot?
No, it does not make sense to do that. Either change the lube (would be my preference) or the chain as these are clearly incompatible products.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-28-21, 07:38 AM
dugla

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yah. But man, I luuvvv Chain Butter. Best chain lube I have every used.
Old 06-28-21, 07:48 AM
dugla

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Ok, the consensus is change my chain lube. Can someone suggest a lube that does not have this annoying interaction with Shimano SIL-TEC chain coating? Thanks.
Old 06-28-21, 08:17 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Ok, the consensus is change my chain lube. Can someone suggest a lube that does not have this annoying interaction with Shimano SIL-TEC chain coating? Thanks.
SIL-TEC is a treatment to the metal of the chain, it is not a lubricant or grease. I think you are confusing the tacky packing grease as being SIL-TEC, it is not. In fact, without degreasing the chain before first applying the lube, you're just wasting money....lube needs be between the pins and rollers, and if you haven't removed the packing grease, it will prevent your preferred lube from getting to where it needs to be, between the pins and rollers.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 06-28-21, 08:53 AM
dugla

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hallelujah, the answer I've needed. I was confused about that all along. It's weird, I've been using WD-40 on the chain/chainring, letting it soak, before I do a proper bike wash and thorough chain cleaning, gut the backing grease never came off. Anyway, problem solved. Cheers.
Old 06-28-21, 09:02 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Badger6
SIL-TEC is a treatment to the metal of the chain, it is not a lubricant or grease. I think you are confusing the tacky packing grease as being SIL-TEC, it is not. In fact, without degreasing the chain before first applying the lube, you're just wasting money....lube needs be between the pins and rollers, and if you haven't removed the packing grease, it will prevent your preferred lube from getting to where it needs to be, between the pins and rollers.
Ding ding ding ding ding! Finally someone nailed it.
Old 06-28-21, 02:23 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

I was hoping he'd run with it awhile longer....
Old 06-28-21, 07:58 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6

Sheldon Brown disagrees with that statement:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

Factory Lube

New chains come pre-lubricated with a grease-type lubricant which has been installed at the factory. This is an excellent lubricant, and has been made to permeate all of the internal interstices in the chain. The chain and this lubricant need to be warmed during application.

This factory lube is superior to any lube that you can apply after the fact -- well, unless...see below.

Some people make the bad mistake of deliberately removing this superior lubricant. Don't do this!

The factory lubricant all by itself is usually good for several hundred miles of service if the bike is not ridden in wet or dusty conditions. It is best not to apply any sort of lube to a new chain until it is clearly needed, because any wet lube you can apply will dilute the factory lube.
I'm on fence about this to be honest. I have a brand new Shimano XT chain ready to be installed. I'm thinking I may clean it and use my normal lube on it as opposed to my usual routine of throwing it on as-is.
Likes For Bryan C.:
Old 06-28-21, 11:51 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Actually, the only point at which I disagree with Sheldon is the characterization of the grease on the chain. I call it packing grease, because that is what it is...he calls it a lubricant, because, grease is a lubricant. I think it is inferior, but he does not. Regardless, the OP's issue with his "buttery" lube is that it doesn't mix nicely with, or at all, the factory lube...which is NOT the (anodized?) SIL-TEC treatment to the metal surfaces of the chain.

BTW, I used to run new chains with the factory grease, and then spend 30 minutes or more cleaning up the mess they made when it was time. 10 years ago when I put on 3-4k kms in a year, and didn't ride in the rain, this event was often more than a month into a chain's life. These days, on track for ~20k kms this year so far, that event is at the end of the first week of a chain's life....and since I wax my chains, I have to clean the messy grease off at some point, might as well do it before it gets gunked up (and gunks up my drivetrain).

YMMV, but regardless, if the OP prefers a specific lube that does;t play nice with the packing grease, it's best to just clean the chain thoroughly, to include a good soak in a mineral spirt degreaser and start on a dry chain.
Old 06-29-21, 06:14 AM
dugla

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yes, you have identified my challenge. When new, the chain - with factory applied lube - was fine will the mileage on the chain was low and while the chain was clean. My approach to chain cleaning is 1) apply WD-40 to chain/drivetrain and let sit while I prepare dish soap and hot water for the cleaning. 2) Clean thoroughly with soapy mixture. 3) now the issue is do I or do I not apply a lubricant? I previously used the GCN "5-minute bike clean" hack and sprayed with WD-40 - yes I know, crazy - but then stumbled across the Chain Butter. Thus my dilemma.

I just bought a new Shimano chain - which prompted this post. - and now still a bit confused about my next move.
Old 06-29-21, 06:21 AM
Koyote

I think the sticky stuff that comes on new Shimano chains is some form of Cosmoline, or some similar substance. It might function as a lube of sorts, but it is sticky and hence will attract and hold on to dirt.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-29-21, 06:24 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by Koyote
I think the sticky stuff that comes on new Shimano chains is some form of Cosmoline, or some similar substance. It might function as a lube of sorts, but it is sticky and hence will attract and hold on to dirt.
That I've noticed. Would be nice to not have to deal with that slick50 mess.
Old 06-29-21, 06:27 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
I just bought a new Shimano chain - which prompted this post. - and now still a bit confused about my next move.
  1. Thoroughly de-grease the old chain using a "real" de-greaser. Read or watch instructions to make sure you are getting a thorough cleaning. Do it 2x for good measure.
  2. Let dry.
  3. Apply your stinky popcorn lube.
  4. Return new chain and get your $$ back.
  5. Bike. Smile.
Old 06-29-21, 06:31 AM
dugla

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Actually, it's time to replace my chain. It is worn out.
Old 06-29-21, 06:32 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Ah. Delete 4., add a step 0. which is put the new chain on your bike. Do a thorough cleaning to remove the grease.
Old 06-29-21, 06:35 AM
dugla

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
How about I just put the new chain on and ride my bike until the chain/bike needs a cleaning then use your algorithm?
Old 06-29-21, 07:51 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

That would be fine too. The differences here are in the weeds.
Likes For scottfsmith: