Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

87 (?) Fuji Flair

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

87 (?) Fuji Flair

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-21, 11:12 AM
GrantM1995

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
87 (?) Fuji Flair

Hello, I’m brand new to cycling as an adult. I wanted to get some opinions/ more information on my bike I just purchased. I believe it’s a 1987 Fuji Flair. It’s in really nice shape, very clean. I bought it off of a guy who had a big collection of old road bikes and a legit looking shop in his garage with tons of old bikes and parts. He said he tuned it and got the wheels true and it rides great! I got it for $175.00. It’s a 63 cm frame which is great because I’m 6 foot 5

Ive taken in out twice and I really like it. Shifts well and came with new tires but is otherwise all original according to the catalogue I was able to find online. Chrome moly frame.

I plan to use it to commute 3-6 miles to work/school and as a fun alternative for running to vary my workouts.

Is this a quality bike? I want to put a new saddle and maybe some new pedals and some née handlebar wrap instead of the old foam stuff. Is it reliable enough to commute? How often should I have it tuned? What about cleaning? Any advice for a good inexpensive channeled (or cutout) seat?
Old 08-23-21, 01:59 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,023 Times in 665 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Flair model, however, everything that Fuji made was quality. This appears to be a few models above the bottom level, but even if it was a bottom level Fuji it is still a good bike. It should make an excellent commuter. In fact, too far up the in the model levels could make it a poor choice for commuting. So, your Flair might just be in the sweet spot of just right.

If it is in good working order, just clean it, and keep it clean. Commuter bikes get dirty fast since you tend to ride more often, and ride in all seasons and all weather. Even when you think it won't rain you might find yourself in a rain shower.

Fenders can be a good addition for a commuter. The same with some type of bag to carry more stuff than a recreational rider would. And you will need a good pump in case you get a flat tire along the way.

If you can post pictures to your personal gallery, someone may be able to move the pictures to this post. Pictures help get responses. We are visual. Reading only goes so far with us.
Old 08-23-21, 03:50 PM
GrantM1995

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! I’ll look into the fenders. I got some good rain gear and a U-Lock. I think a saddle upgrade may be in order too mine hurts a little. Good to hear on the quality of Fuji bikes. I’m really happy with it, I’m currently on campus doing homework having ridden it here and it’s been great!

I posted pictures to my gallery of my bike I’d love to hear what you think.