Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Press Fit Bottom Bracket

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Press Fit Bottom Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-21, 03:57 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,860 Times in 3,006 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71

Specialized has now switched the majority of it's bikes back to threaded BB. Even my new Trek Domane is threaded BB. That was one of the reasons I bought it over another brand.
I think this is what is driving the move back to threaded BBs. They have become a major selling point with PF gaining such a bad reputation. Be interesting to see if the industry remains divided or if the other big brands will return to threaded BBs simply because of customer demand.
Old 09-25-21, 06:04 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
I dislike press fit BB’s but I have a Trek with a press fit with over 6000 bad weather and winter miles and its as quiet and smooth as day 1.
Old 09-27-21, 01:50 PM
avalanche00

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My last road bike was a Giant. After a year of ownership the BB started creaking. Replaced it with a new one and less than a year later started creaking again.

Same situation with my Cannondale Mountain Bike I had and My Specialized Fat Bike that I had.

It's absolutely true. Threading and facing frames is more costly and so is the labor to install the threaded BB which slows down the production line.

It is a customer preference!! Customers prefer to have a quiet bike and not one that creaks with every rotation of the crank!!! That and threaded cups can be serviced with simple wrenches and threaded cups allow component makers to have complete control over every moving part of the crankset from pedal to pedal.
Have 3 GIANT bikes with PF BB. First one, thousands of miles, 11yrs, still no issues. Second 2014 TCR, not as many miles, used only in summer, no issues. Third one brand new TCR Advanced pro disc 1, horrible creaking from BB. LBS could not address issue so he said he submitted a warranty claim. So disappointed.

I have seen hambini's videos and I thought that buying giant would be better off since they control the manufacturing. Not sure if I just got unlucky. However, this is an admittance of failure to build frames according to specs from big brands. As I said, PF has been around for more than a decade. And Specialized started using threaded BB only on lower end frames. S WORKS still gets PF BB. This shows that as a technology it is superior and my experience with my 11 yo Defy proves it can be quiet and reliable as well.

Last edited by avalanche00; 09-27-21 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-28-21, 04:17 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by avalanche00
And Specialized started using threaded BB only on lower end frames. S WORKS still gets PF BB. This shows that as a technology it is superior and my experience with my 11 yo Defy proves it can be quiet and reliable as well.
a) no, the SL7 has a threaded BB at all levels
b) no, S-Works bikes using pressfit (or threaded) BBs indicates diddly squat about the superiority of the technology. As evidenced by point a.

Engineering truths are not defined by marketing. Or even what consumer demand makes economically viable. It simply is what it is. I say this as someone who also believes in the theory of pressfit but I'm also capable of admitting that the industry simply does not care enough to execute it correctly.
Old 09-28-21, 05:00 PM
avalanche00

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by smashndash
a) no, the SL7 has a threaded BB at all levels
b) no, S-Works bikes using pressfit (or threaded) BBs indicates diddly squat about the superiority of the technology. As evidenced by point a.

Engineering truths are not defined by marketing. Or even what consumer demand makes economically viable. It simply is what it is. I say this as someone who also believes in the theory of pressfit but I'm also capable of admitting that the industry simply does not care enough to execute it correctly.
You are correct. Maybe I saw an older sl6 model or maybe I was so eager to prove my point that if PF is executed correctly, as you mentioned, are superior.
Anyway, contacted today by LBS and seems I am due for a frame replacement.
Old 09-28-21, 06:23 PM
bigredgrad01

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I ran a Wheels Manufacturing BB30OUT BB30 outer to Shimano 24mm inner BB that threads two sides together in the middle. So it wouldn't deter me if that was an option on the bike. But probably would probably avoid some of the wider press fit standards where that isn't an option.
Old 02-17-22, 02:40 PM
avalanche00

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got my Giant frame replaced due to BB creacking. Brand new bike
Likes For avalanche00:
Old 02-17-22, 05:36 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
I’ve only been riding for 10 years, but in those ten years I’ve only had bikes with pressfit bottom brackets. Only one ever even made a peep, and that was an aluminum Felt with BB-30. My Cervelo has been flawless, despite what Hambini may say.

I don’t care about the BB standard because I’m not going to change the bearings myself if needed anyway.
Old 02-24-22, 01:14 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
How many people have bottom bracket issues with bikes built before 2019?

I have bought three brand new bikes since march 2020. Maybe it was just bad luck or I bought a bike at the peak of the shortage and bike mfg was not doing the QA that they used to do.

cannondale systemsix aero road bike : no problem
cannondale topstone gravel bike : bottom bracket and crank set replaced
giant revolt adv 2 gravel bike : bottom bracket replaced

Maybe because I rode the gravel bikes a lot harder they had issues that the road bike never did.

My next bike will have a threaded bottom bracket. I torn between upgrading my Giant with a Hambini bottom bracket which should resolve any future issues or sell my bike and buy a ibis or stigmata gravel bike which both have threaded bottom brackets and are a tad lighter.
Old 02-24-22, 07:04 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy

I have bought three brand new bikes since march 2020. Maybe it was just bad luck or I bought a bike at the peak of the shortage and bike mfg was not doing the QA that they used to do.

cannondale systemsix aero road bike : no problem
cannondale topstone gravel bike : bottom bracket and crank set replaced
giant revolt adv 2 gravel bike : bottom bracket replaced

Maybe because I rode the gravel bikes a lot harder they had issues that the road bike never did.

My next bike will have a threaded bottom bracket. I torn between upgrading my Giant with a Hambini bottom bracket which should resolve any future issues or sell my bike and buy a ibis or stigmata gravel bike which both have threaded bottom brackets and are a tad lighter.
The Felt I had an issue with was 2014
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 02-24-22, 07:44 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,971 Times in 1,918 Posts
The more often I rode in areas that contained a lot more dirt covered areas/construction activity the more I found myself servicing the BB. Which then got me thinking about the what ifs... What if the BB used a set of needle bearings on each side rather than ball bearings?
Old 02-24-22, 08:05 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Stigmata is a great bike and I highly recommend it.

I just got a 2022 Cannondale Synapse (not delivered yet) and part of my decision to get it was because they moved back to threaded bottom brackets.
Likes For KJ43:
Old 02-24-22, 08:34 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
2015 Specialized Fatboy with PF BB...constant issue with creaking...Fixed with Wheels Manufacturing thread together cups.
2015 Giant Road Bike with PFBB......constant BB issue with that bike...Wheels manufacturing didn't make a fix for this model
2016 Cannondale Bad Habit with PF...constant BB issue with that bike...Wheels manufacturing didn't make a fix for this model
2016 Niner Air9 with PF BB...constant issue with creaking...Fixed with Wheels Manufacturing thread together cups.
2018 Specialized Fatboy Carbon with PF BB...One issue with creaking a few months after ownership...covered under warranty and so far hasn't been a problem.

I still own the 2016 Niner and the 2018 Fatboy Carbon. Sold the others. The rest of the bikes in my household...Trek road bikes, FS Spot mountain bike, Specialized Sirrus, Kona Woo Fat bike...all threaded BB...Zero issues.
Likes For prj71:
Old 02-24-22, 01:12 PM
Overdraft

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
I'm new to this game, but I've wrenched my own motorcycles for years and I only know about press fit bearings... if they fail you bang them out and press the new ones back in. If they go into a threaded housing once you've undone it don't you still need to bang them out? Or does the threaded cap somehow take up the slack? That seems sketchy... I guess I'd better do some research as I think I've got pressed on my new Madone...
Old 02-24-22, 01:22 PM
prj71

If you have a newer Madone you have a threaded T47 bottom bracket.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...cket/p/593089/
Old 02-24-22, 03:26 PM
Overdraft

If you have a newer Madone you have a threaded T47 bottom bracket.
Not new enough! It's a new old 2021 SL6 and is listed as having the dreaded BB90
Old 02-24-22, 03:37 PM
prj71

Bummer. 2022 has threaded.
Old 02-24-22, 03:41 PM
Overdraft

Bummer. 2022 has threaded.
yup. the things we'll do to save $1,600...
although the reality is that there were no 2022's in my size available
Old 02-24-22, 04:00 PM
prj71

Weird because my 2021 Domane is threaded. They must have had some frame inventory to work through before switching over the Madone to threaded.
Old 02-24-22, 04:10 PM
Overdraft

Weird because my 2021 Domane is threaded. They must have had some frame inventory to work through before switching over the Madone to threaded.
yup. 2021 Domane threaded, 2021 Madone pressed, according to the Canadian website.
Old 02-24-22, 09:18 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by Overdraft
I'm new to this game, but I've wrenched my own motorcycles for years and I only know about press fit bearings... if they fail you bang them out and press the new ones back in. If they go into a threaded housing once you've undone it don't you still need to bang them out? Or does the threaded cap somehow take up the slack? That seems sketchy... I guess I'd better do some research as I think I've got pressed on my new Madone...
I used to be an auto mechanic and know what you mean. Never had issues with pressed in bearings. From what I have read and watched on youtube it's mostly the carbon frames. They can't make the holes the perfect size and aligned perfect with both sides. It causes some bottom brackets to not fit perfect and then over time creak when you apply power.

Metal bikes, steal, alloy, Ti they can machine or drill perfect circles and in alignment with each other. So no issues or very little issues with those bikes.
Old 02-25-22, 09:27 AM
prj71

I used to be an auto mechanic and know what you mean. Never had issues with pressed in bearings. From what I have read and watched on youtube it's mostly the carbon frames. They can't make the holes the perfect size and aligned perfect with both sides. It causes some bottom brackets to not fit perfect and then over time creak when you apply power.

Metal bikes, steal, alloy, Ti they can machine or drill perfect circles and in alignment with each other. So no issues or very little issues with those bikes.
The majority of bikes on the market are aluminum or carbon. Since aluminum is malleable it's actually worse than the insert used in the carbon frames. Over time you get poor fit and misalignment due to the poor manufacturing tolerances.

Going forward I will never own a PF BB again and I'm glad to see the major players slowly switching back to threaded.
Old 02-26-22, 04:26 PM
ratell

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Here’s an argument for pressfit. Lays out the issues

Old 02-28-22, 10:49 AM
prj71

Problem with that video is he is trying to say that PF BB is the same thing as head set bearings, wheel bearings, and suspension bearings. He couldn't be more wrong since those bearings are not subjected to the same forces, loads and rotations as BB bearings. The BB is the bearing assembly that allows your cranks to spin (a lot) and withstand loads and abuse regularly. Think about all of those times you get off the saddle to hammer down while cranking up a hill or to get some more speed...that's a lot of radial loading on the system. There is also a lot of side forces applied to the BB bearings from jumps, drops or riding rocks and roots. Then there is all the moisture, mud, dirt, or grime that you ride through that the BB is subjected to. Headset bearings, wheel bearings and suspension bearings live an easy life compared to the BB bearings. Head set bearings and suspension bearings don't continually spin either....they rotate on an arc an average 90-120 degrees..maybe a little more on the suspension bearings depending on design. Also head set bearings are only subject to axial loads not radial loads. And even though hub bearings spin a lot, the loading is more uniform.
Old 02-28-22, 11:32 AM
ratell

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Problem with that video is he is trying to say that PF BB is the same thing as head set bearings, wheel bearings, and suspension bearings. He couldn't be more wrong since those bearings are not subjected to the same forces, loads and rotations as BB bearings. The BB is the bearing assembly that allows your cranks to spin (a lot) and withstand loads and abuse regularly. Think about all of those times you get off the saddle to hammer down while cranking up a hill or to get some more speed...that's a lot of radial loading on the system. There is also a lot of side forces applied to the BB bearings from jumps, drops or riding rocks and roots. Then there is all the moisture, mud, dirt, or grime that you ride through that the BB is subjected to. Headset bearings, wheel bearings and suspension bearings live an easy life compared to the BB bearings. Head set bearings and suspension bearings don't continually spin either....they rotate on an arc an average 90-120 degrees..maybe a little more on the suspension bearings depending on design. Also head set bearings are only subject to axial loads not radial loads. And even though hub bearings spin a lot, the loading is more uniform.
None of those things are arguments for external bearings. In fact pretty much all of them should be better with pressfit bearings that are inside the bottom bracket. For me the main point of the video is that the problem with pressfit is poor manufacturing tolerances. Bike brands are going back to threaded not because it is the better solution but because it's easier than fixing the manufacturing problems. Given what carbon frames cost it seems reasonable to expect the better manufacturing especially given there are probably other misalignments that don't creak so go unnoticed.

Ultimately, if threaded bottom brackets is important to someone when buying a bike more power to them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.