Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

She used to be an e-bike hater

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

She used to be an e-bike hater

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-21, 08:48 AM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by late
I didn't know there were any e-tandems. That's terrific, keep up the good work!
A French brand, but I'm sure there are others.

https://moustachebikes.com/en/ebikes/tandem/
Old 02-20-21, 03:44 PM
northernjeep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 11 Posts
When I take my e fat bike on the local trails I will often talk with other riders given the chance. Usually just open with - it's electric assist and yes I'm a cheater. That almost always short circuits their comments and what I usually get in response is - well at least your out riding.
Old 02-20-21, 06:20 PM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by northernjeep
When I take my e fat bike on the local trails I will often talk with other riders given the chance. Usually just open with - it's electric assist and yes I'm a cheater. That almost always short circuits their comments and what I usually get in response is - well at least your out riding.
Good lord, I don't say that. If they say "it's cheating" or "isn't that cheating" I say. "Well, you don't need to feel sorry for me on my account, I don't feel one damned bit cheated". That statement automatically puts the onus on them to define what they meant. Most quickly realize that to explain it to me means they would have to reveal that they feel its cheating because it diminishes them. An admission of being a loser somehow and they realize the position that puts them in and they lighten up. Most often they will laugh and say " good one" and that opens the door for them to explore how they feel with questions.
Likes For KPREN:
Old 02-20-21, 09:25 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Watched the video and it intrigued me a little in terms of considering commuting again, however a couple items still concern me.

1) The biggest detractor to commuting is one segment near my employer where there is no shoulder and don't think I would really feel safe long term unless the assist could get me to 35 mph or better (I know get a scooter, but then no fitness gains). The best maybe get you to 28 mph? Those are so expensive I might as well just get a scooter. I tried gutting it out for a while on regular bike, but one too many close calls with aggressively impatient drivers.

2) The overall time of the commute was a little too long to be practical for everyday commuting in my opinion. I was doing 2 or 3 days a week. The ebike that would seem to be best quality for price I'm willing to spend is 46+ lbs. If my everyday bike is around 26 lbs and the terrain is rolling hills, how much real gain can I expect after it compensates for the extra 20 lbs? I would want at least +5 mph gain in door to door average over 22 miles.

If I'm not trying to get to work on time I don't really care how fast I'm going, and normal bike fits my needs just fine.
Old 02-20-21, 11:17 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
An e-bike should be capable of increasing your road speed at least 5 mph. Your target of 35 mph is attainable relatively inexpensively ($700 - $1200 plus bike) with either a rear hub motor or BBSHD mid-drive. The problem in many states is this constitutes a moped or motorcycle and, in mine (CA), means license and insurance. There are many who just keep pedaling along without these especially since policing is not very robust, but an accident could be ruinous. There are many threads here on constructing one.
Old 02-21-21, 09:56 AM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
The video was interesting and I understood some of her points, but it seems like she just discovered that a bike could be used for commuting.
Old 02-21-21, 11:05 AM
northernjeep

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by KPREN
Good lord, I don't say that. If they say "it's cheating" or "isn't that cheating" I say. "Well, you don't need to feel sorry for me on my account, I don't feel one damned bit cheated". That statement automatically puts the onus on them to define what they meant. Most quickly realize that to explain it to me means they would have to reveal that they feel its cheating because it diminishes them. An admission of being a loser somehow and they realize the position that puts them in and they lighten up. Most often they will laugh and say " good one" and that opens the door for them to explore how they feel with questions.
Basically I don't have time to waste with haters. I must say virtually everyone I meet either along a trail or in the city seems to be cool. The most common remark I get when riding one of my delta's is - that looks pretty comfortable or - don't fall asleep. And the kids love them.
Old 02-22-21, 07:46 AM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Originally Posted by northernjeep
Basically I don't have time to waste with haters. I must say virtually everyone I meet either along a trail or in the city seems to be cool. The most common remark I get when riding one of my delta's is - that looks pretty comfortable or - don't fall asleep. And the kids love them.
LOL, Kids always love them. These comments, "that looks pretty comfortable or - don't fall asleep" are both thinly vailed Cheater comments. Both comments indicate that the commenter believes that you are slacking at the riding task. Even if they like the bike.
Old 02-22-21, 08:19 AM
KPREN

Originally Posted by andychrist
True dat. But only 2% of the population now lives in rural areas so not such a significant demographic.

That said, have recently noticed a handful of employees at the Shoprite up in town parking their e-bikes in the stands provided there. Kinda funny because none of those workers live more than a mile from the store and the surrounding environ is fairly flat; how much time and effort could an e-bike possibly be saving them over an unassisted one in that situation? Then again I’ve overheard fit looking young people up here bragging/bit¢hing about commuting almost two miles on their bikes, so...
2%? That seems low.

From my experience, there is one problem I see with commuting only a mile or two on a bike. Whenever I start to exercise, on any piece of equipment, I want to bolt for the first 8 minutes or so as my body ramps up for the job. If I make it 8 minutes, it gets easier and I can do it a lot longer. Only a mile or two and I would be in constant get the bike out, find a place to store the bike and constantly in ramp up mode. I think I would dread it. For only a mile I might just walk.