Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Campy wheels & pinarello bikes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Campy wheels & pinarello bikes

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-06, 10:57 PM
seaden
Dirty Fingers

Bikes: Motobecane Super Mirage Fixie, Somec Track Bike, Univega Supra Sport 14 sp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought my second Pinarello

I just got this bike...can anyone tell me more about it?

This is all the info I got : c. 1992-94 (approx. age). Pinarello Blue Road Bike. 51.5 cm. NO SEAT.

51.5 cm. = from top tube to middle of crank.

Campagnolo crank and derailleur (derailer). Campagnolo Vento HPW-16 wheels. Shifters in brake levers. Bike in EXCELLENT condition. Stored in cellar for past 5 years.

Last edited by seaden; 06-26-06 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Adding pictures and changing question
Old 06-25-06, 11:58 PM
seaden
Dirty Fingers

Bikes: Motobecane Super Mirage Fixie, Somec Track Bike, Univega Supra Sport 14 sp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are the Rims tubulars? I forgot to ask before I bought Hopefully they aren't
Old 06-26-06, 06:54 AM
aballas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seaden
Are the Rims tubulars? I forgot to ask before I bought Hopefully they aren't

why wouldn't you want them to be tubulars? safer than clinchers at speed if you have a blowout, can run lower pressures...lower weight....etc...

anyway, looks like a sweet bike....i love pinarellos
Old 06-26-06, 07:09 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Looks like one sweet ride to me. I would need a bit better photo of the rim/tire (just the bead area) to tell if they are tubies....but I too would prefer tubies.
Old 06-26-06, 07:17 AM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The wheels are clinchers. The Pinarello rides like a dream. Your local bike shop might need to stock spokes for those wheels as the only obvious problem with them was that they tended to break a spoke every couple of months if you were a strong rider or weighed over 180 lbs.

The brakes have some flex but they work fine otherwise as long as the pads are OK. (Think Salmon colored Kool Stop pads from Harris Cyclery).

That looks like an 8-speed setup but I THINK that you can have the levers changed to 9-speed with the replacement of the index ring. Not ALL levers can be changed though so you shop would have to look at it. Also the wheel would need to have the freehub body replaced with a 9-speed compatible one.

The reason for that is that you can hardly find 8-speed stuff any more. Even 9-speed stuff is iffy these days with everyone going to 10-speed because it wears out so rapidly and requires so many replacement parts. It's the manufacturers dream come true.
Old 06-26-06, 07:28 AM
mellowdave
Красный Октябрь

Bikes: Kona Major Jake - CX/Gravel Kona Jake The Snake - Commuter, Pinarello Galileo - RoadieAF, Niner Air 9 - HT MTB.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GOOD GOD I love those old Pinarello's.. I will have one... I will....

My old boss had a Ciocc track bike with chrome stays and almost that same blue paint and was it ever fine.
Old 06-26-06, 07:34 AM
pathdoc
Hey let's ride.

Bikes: Torelli road bike, Tsunami tandem

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That is one awesome bike. congrats
Old 06-26-06, 08:08 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
Those vento 16 wheels are similar to the Scirocco 20 wheels I originally put on one of my Titans. Aero wheels & bladed spokes do make a difference above 25 mph (seldom happens for me except downhill). There are several long descents in my area where I can maintain higher speeds with them though. Payback is a somewhat harsher ride. I got this bike a 2nd wheelset using Torelli Master rims for daily use. They ride better. Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
BrideofFrankenbike.jpg (98.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 06-26-06, 08:10 AM
seaden
Dirty Fingers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclintom
The wheels are clinchers. The Pinarello rides like a dream. Your local bike shop might need to stock spokes for those wheels as the only obvious problem with them was that they tended to break a spoke every couple of months if you were a strong rider or weighed over 180 lbs.

The brakes have some flex but they work fine otherwise as long as the pads are OK. (Think Salmon colored Kool Stop pads from Harris Cyclery).

That looks like an 8-speed setup but I THINK that you can have the levers changed to 9-speed with the replacement of the index ring. Not ALL levers can be changed though so you shop would have to look at it. Also the wheel would need to have the freehub body replaced with a 9-speed compatible one.

The reason for that is that you can hardly find 8-speed stuff any more. Even 9-speed stuff is iffy these days with everyone going to 10-speed because it wears out so rapidly and requires so many replacement parts. It's the manufacturers dream come true.
I weigh 130lbs....would that be okay for those wheels?
Old 06-26-06, 08:21 AM
svbiker
The LOOK!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ya might need a seat lol
Old 06-26-06, 08:22 AM
seaden
Dirty Fingers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In regard to tubies....some people at the singlespeed/fixed forum said it's not good to run tubies for commuting. And aren't tubies harder to put in and can you get really durable tubies somewhat similiar to gator skins or armadilllos? I run over alot of glass and run on those tires without incident.
Old 06-26-06, 08:34 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by seaden
In regard to tubies....some people at the singlespeed/fixed forum said it's not good to run tubies for commuting. And aren't tubies harder to put in and can you get really durable tubies somewhat similiar to gator skins or armadilllos? I run over alot of glass and run on those tires without incident.
Conti makes a Gatorskin tubie now so yes...once you know how to do it it is actually faster to change a tubular than a clincher...but you would have to carry a spare tire which is a bit bigger than just carrying a spare tube.

You not even going to use that for a commuter are you? I must say I commute on clinchers but my roadie only has tubular wheels.
Old 06-26-06, 06:29 PM
seaden
Dirty Fingers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will use this bike to commute to and from work...I just found out definately that these are not tubular rims...but clinchers...so all in all I'm pretty pleased and it shipped out today and will arive tomorrow!!!
Old 06-26-06, 07:49 PM
seaden
Dirty Fingers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by svbiker
ya might need a seat lol
I know...I already have a brooks pro for it.