Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

6 spd wheelset

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

6 spd wheelset

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-07, 10:28 PM
seaden
Dirty Fingers

Bikes: Motobecane Super Mirage Fixie, Somec Track Bike, Univega Supra Sport 14 sp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6 spd wheelset

OKay so I've got this old 12spd Trek 360. I was gonna sell it BUT took it for a ride today going to work. It was so comfortable and great that now I want to keep it. My main issue with it is that the wheelset stinks. They are old, the spokes are hard to turn, the hubs are either done for or need to be opened up, cleaned and greased. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good source for a decent 6 spd wheelset....The bike I think is spaced at 126(??) I need something fairly low priced.
Old 01-18-07, 12:10 AM
the beef
100% USDA certified

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Assuming that it's a friction-shifting bike (as opposed to index-shifting, which you can tell by the 'clicks' in the shifters), any wheel will do. Friction shift means you control the cable pull and subsequently the precise amount of derailleur movement, so that any cassette/freewheel will work (your drivetrain is not bound by a number of 'speeds' as modern ones are).

Newer wheels have 130 mm spacing, but you can cram one in there with a little shove (steel frames will do this just fine). All the wheels you buy these days will normally be 130 mm spaced. If you buy a used, non-indexed wheelset (7, 6, 5 speed freewheel) it'll be 126.

Look on the good ol' Seattle Craigslist. It's a great source. Slap a nice 36-spoke wheelset in there with a 7-speed freewheel, voila - instant upgrade. You could probably find one for around $50 if you wait a few days.
Old 01-18-07, 01:53 AM
seaden
Dirty Fingers

Bikes: Motobecane Super Mirage Fixie, Somec Track Bike, Univega Supra Sport 14 sp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it is indexed
Old 01-18-07, 02:41 AM
arsw1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seaden
it is indexed
Check out gvhbikes' parts page. They have some 126mm freewheel hubs and some older wheels.

Other than that.. I know Phil Wood has some 126mm freewheel hubs as well.. not cheap though..
Old 01-18-07, 10:25 AM
same time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is the frame steel, and are the parts Shimano? If so, anything up to 8 speeds will work. If Suntour or Campagnolo are involved, it'll probably work, too. The cog spacings are very very close. You'll only be able to index 6 of the 8 speeds, but it'll work.

A 130mm wheel will need to be jammed into a 126mm frame, or you can have the rear triangle spread to 130mm by a good bike shop. There's a way to do it yourself, too, maybe somebody can provide a link. Again, I'm assuming your frame is steel.

Also, if you have downtube shifters, you can probably turn a D-ring on the right (rear) shift lever and switch it from indexing to friction, if you need to.

Good luck!
Old 01-18-07, 10:34 AM
drdhsimon
just tryin' to keep up

Bikes: Marin Portofino - Foco Steel built by Billato

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seaden
OKay so I've got this old 12spd Trek 360. I was gonna sell it BUT took it for a ride today going to work. It was so comfortable and great that now I want to keep it. My main issue with it is that the wheelset stinks. They are old, the spokes are hard to turn, the hubs are either done for or need to be opened up, cleaned and greased. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good source for a decent 6 spd wheelset....The bike I think is spaced at 126(??) I need something fairly low priced.

try Recycled Cycles on Boat street by UW. I bought my Trek there, and they have all kinds of used parts (at least they did when I moved in July )
Old 01-18-07, 11:02 AM
yairi
é wot?

Bikes: Gary Fisher Montare, 1973 Bottechia, IRO Jamie Roy,1998 Cervelo Eyre Tri, 1982 Peugeot Sport fixed gear, and some kind of red bike hanging in the rafters

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
126mm freewheel hubs are cheap and abundant on fleabay and elsewhere. Something like this for example. No point in going with a 130mm hub really. Front hubs are all 100mm so any front hub will work. I got a couple new LX front hubs for less than $10 each the other day. www.spicercycles.com for some rims, www.wheelbuilder.com for spokes and nipples, build it, done.
Old 01-18-07, 04:54 PM
the beef
100% USDA certified

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by drdhsimon
try Recycled Cycles on Boat street by UW. I bought my Trek there, and they have all kinds of used parts (at least they did when I moved in July )
Yay! Time to change your location under your username. Recycled Cycles is awesome.
Old 01-29-07, 04:06 PM
seaden
Dirty Fingers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what if a wheelset has a 7spd cassette...is there anyway to put a 6spd cassette in so my indexing will still work?
Old 01-29-07, 04:35 PM
drdhsimon
just tryin' to keep up

Bikes: Marin Portofino - Foco Steel built by Billato

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by the beef
Yay! Time to change your location under your username. Recycled Cycles is awesome.
I meant moved FROM Seattle....loved the town, but as Austinite SRV once said, "couldn't stand the weather!"
Old 01-29-07, 04:36 PM
deanp
On the big ring

Bikes: Trek 1100, Litespeed Catalyst

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Harris Cyclery has a good deal on a 126 rear, 100 front wheel set. $149.95 shipped price. I bought a set and have ridden them several times now and am happy. Sun rims with a sealed bearing hub, Quandro or some such name. Nothing super fancy, just a decent 36 hole hubs with a thread on free wheel style wheel set.
Old 01-29-07, 06:12 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
The 6sp cassette is fine, just move the one you have now (or have shop do that).
Old 01-29-07, 06:30 PM
blickblocks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a cheap, $35 130mm hub rear wheel at a LBS for when the 126mm hub rear wheel on my old bike potato chipped. I didn't know about the different widths then, so I simply removed one of the nuts to make it fit. I redished the wheel to center it, but this is probably not the way to go.

That said, I don't think the hub is too good, since after riding on it a good 6 months it doesn't spin as freely as it did. It's probably just a crappy freewheel though.