Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Titan Bicycles of Switzerland

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Titan Bicycles of Switzerland

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-07, 08:15 PM
seaden
Dirty Fingers

Bikes: Motobecane Super Mirage Fixie, Somec Track Bike, Univega Supra Sport 14 sp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Found this and wanted to post here aswell.

I just got a NOS Titan frame like some of you got sometime last year. Anyway It was supplied with a seatpost binder bolt but I can't get it in. Is it due to the frame being new? What should I do? I tried doing a search under "Seatbinder bolt" but didn't find anything.

My frame is like this one.
Old 09-20-07, 12:43 AM
coelcanth
hunter, gatherer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
maybe there is paint on the threads ?
try running a tap through it
Old 02-05-08, 11:20 AM
LECHERO531

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Did Anyone Have Trouble With The Seatpost ?. They State 27.2 But I Finally Gave Up And Put In A 26.8
Old 02-05-08, 12:31 PM
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
mine was 27.2 but I wouldn't be surprised if there were different sizes
Old 02-05-08, 02:37 PM
jefpac
JefPac

Bikes: Iron Horse MTB, Giant Road, Titan Road, Pinarello Montello Road, Amsterdam SA 3-Speed Road, Peugeot SA 3-Speed Road (#1), Peugeot SA 3-Speed Road (#2), Unknown 'hack' TBD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LECHERO531
Did Anyone Have Trouble With The Seatpost ?. They State 27.2 But I Finally Gave Up And Put In A 26.8
When I received my Titan frame there was quite a bit of paint overspray and other junk in the seat tube, bottom bracket and head tube. My solution was to have my LBS tap, face and chase everything!!! No problems after that.

BTW, I don't think that I have posted any photos of my Titan in this revised thread. Here's a few photos of the current summer and winter configurations:

Summer
https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2007/...ff094f1a_o.jpg

Winter
https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2236/...eeb82083_o.jpg

Paint Close-up
https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2291/...dd1dd74a_b.jpg
https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2253/...4492bfd2_o.jpg

This spring, I think I am going to finally sort out the front fork, stem and handlebar mess. I'm just not happy with the current set-up.

Suggestions anyone?
Old 02-11-08, 11:15 PM
LECHERO531

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This One Is Mine With Thron Tubes. Maybe Thats Why The 26.8 Seatpost?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
thron-violett-58-g.jpg (52.0 KB, 381 views)
Old 12-29-08, 10:49 AM
LECHERO531

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thought i would let everyone know how i turned out. Took awhile as i was deloyed overseas, back now. Thks all for the help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PICT0012.JPG (77.3 KB, 409 views)
Old 12-29-08, 09:29 PM
TysonB

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lecher,

It DID take awhile. However, it is apparent that good things come to those who wait. The bike is sharp looking and I am sure will be a dream to ride. I've followed this thread since the beginning. I thought about trying to acquire one of the original frames.

Nice job.

TysonB
Old 12-29-08, 10:47 PM
dokydoky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I won one early this month, on Christmas eve it finally cleared customs in Chicago, I can't wait for it to finally reach LA.
Old 08-13-09, 10:21 PM
tylerbrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the same bike

I'll take some pictures soon and post them but guess what. I have the same Titan, pink smokey paint, with 25th anniversary Dura Ace components. I just built up the bike, full NOS. I can't believe it has a twin. I found some NOS full chrome, Fausto Coppi forks for the frame that go perfectly with the highly polished DA 7700 group. The headset is also DA 25th anniversary and the stem and bars are both 2009 Deda Zero 100 (dark metal polished).

Pics are on their way.
Old 12-10-09, 04:06 AM
wildjim
Jim

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess the true manufacturer of the Swiss Titan frame is still unknown. . .

Anyway I still ride mine as its one of my favorites, fits perfectly and rides smooth. . .
Old 12-10-09, 09:00 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Thank you for digging up an ancient thread to share that with us.
Old 12-10-09, 10:08 AM
wildjim
Jim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirtdrop
Thank you for digging up an ancient thread to share that with us.
No problem. It is the Classic and Vintage thread ; )

Its actually much older and I have a new interest and curiosity as if anyone still rides their Titans or any new (old) frames are for sale anywhere. . .

Last edited by wildjim; 12-10-09 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-10-09, 01:15 PM
jefpac
JefPac

Bikes: Iron Horse MTB, Giant Road, Titan Road, Pinarello Montello Road, Amsterdam SA 3-Speed Road, Peugeot SA 3-Speed Road (#1), Peugeot SA 3-Speed Road (#2), Unknown 'hack' TBD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm still squarely in the Titan camp;

I almost gave mine away (I'm severely reducing the herd: 1 road bike and 1 dirt bike, that's all that will remain) but I came to my senses and gave away the Montello instead. I know its heresy but I prefer the ride of the Titan and the young guy I gave the Pinarello to can't stop grinning!
Old 12-11-09, 11:41 PM
wildjim
Jim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jefpac
I'm still squarely in the Titan camp;

I almost gave mine away (I'm severely reducing the herd: 1 road bike and 1 dirt bike, that's all that will remain) but I came to my senses and gave away the Montello instead. I know its heresy but I prefer the ride of the Titan and the young guy I gave the Pinarello to can't stop grinning!
Titan is my favorite. I ride it the most. I have so many bicycles. As you I plan to scale down and sell some locally next spring on Craigs List. But not the Titans.
Old 12-12-09, 08:01 AM
jefpac
JefPac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I finally managed to locate a Dura Ace headset and stem that match the other components. I'll get them mounted up and sorted out in Jan-Feb so that I can be ready for a good start in the spring.

One thing that constantly amazes me is the versatility of the Titan frame. In its 'summer' configuration, its fast and hyper-responsive (almost twitchy). Think left and you go left... NOW! In the winter set-up its still fast but much more forgiving of steering input.

If you couldn't see what you were riding, you'd think you were riding two different bikes. The ride is that different. Two bikes in one. Definitely a keeper.

Now if I can get remaining goodies together for the dirt bike (Proflex 956) I'll be set. Two top-end classic rides is all I really need.
Old 02-07-10, 04:59 PM
jeremy75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi- Last week I got a bike from my father who was an active Triatleth in the 80s-90s. It is a Titan bike with a steel frame and a complete Shimano 105 equipment- It is in an absolutely perfect condition, because it has never been on the street and it was always used on the hometrainer in the cellar for the wintertraining so the bike is really in a perfect condition- frame hight is 56,cm, in it is in the original condition like it was when my fahter bought it in the early 90s- with Look pedals and Mavic MA2- I want to sell the bike and dont really want to have much for the bike- do you have an idea, where I can sell? thanks and best jeremias
Old 02-07-10, 07:26 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 788 Posts
your attachment here^ is not working, but two suggestions: take several photos of the bike, one from the drive-side and many close-ups of the frame details, include any tubing decal or sticker (such as Columbus, usually on the tube below the saddle). Then try posting all this in the appraisal (what's it worth?) sub-forum of this forum. From that one pic in your other thread, your Dad's Titan may be earlier than all these eBay frames (which were probably built in Italy by Billato) and might even have come from Switzerland...perhaps.
Old 03-11-10, 09:50 AM
Ramjm_2000

Bikes: Too many...

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Still have mine and love it!
Old 03-15-10, 02:21 AM
wildjim
Jim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ramjm_2000
Still have mine and love it!
Nice!

Thats a different color and the fork and stem is painted to match. The Titans I have came as frames only with chrome fork.

Did you build it or is it one from the manufacturer?
Old 03-15-10, 02:58 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by jeremy75
Hi- Last week I got a bike from my father who was an active Triatleth in the 80s-90s. It is a Titan bike with a steel frame and a complete Shimano 105 equipment- It is in an absolutely perfect condition, because it has never been on the street and it was always used on the hometrainer in the cellar for the wintertraining so the bike is really in a perfect condition- frame hight is 56,cm, in it is in the original condition like it was when my fahter bought it in the early 90s- with Look pedals and Mavic MA2- I want to sell the bike and dont really want to have much for the bike- do you have an idea, where I can sell? thanks and best jeremias
Congratulations on the bike. My curiosity for Titans was peaked last year when I came across an auction for an NOS ITM stem with the Titan name engraved on the sides and the Swiss cross logo also engraved and painted in on the front. I started wondering what cool bike with the Titan name the stem matches up to. The Swiss origin also seems to give it a special air to it.
I almost bid on the stem just because I liked it so much!
Just a note on the mint looking trainer bike you just inherited. Make sure you check the stem and seatpost, but mostly the stem, if it will release from the bike OK. Bikes used for long periods on trainers usually suffer badly from the salty sweat that comes from the rider and end up having seized stems because of the corrosion sweat causes.
Hope everything checks out OK and please post a pic of the bike for us if you can.

Chombi
Old 03-15-10, 04:28 PM
dannyg1 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
The two Titan's that I have are perfect twins for frames labeled (I believe they are then, made by -->) D'Accordi.
Old 04-17-10, 03:35 PM
geijo3000
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 04-19-10, 05:00 AM
wildjim
Jim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by geijo3000
That's a nice one! I have one nearly like it, it rests on the bicycle rack in the basement as I have too many others to ride ; )

It has black handlebar tape and white bottle cages and a black turbo seat. All campagnolo brake and crank parts.

I ride my purple Titan mostly these days. . .

Last edited by wildjim; 04-19-10 at 05:09 AM.
Old 06-24-10, 11:16 AM
1 Lugnut

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Colnago Super, Mondia Super, Mondia Special, Mondia Prestige (for sale 55cm),Titan Star, Titan Exklusiv, Windsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 54 Posts
After 5 years of getting my Titan frame off Ebay for $125, I'm finally getting this one up & running. I had originally intended to build it up for my daughter, but her life took another direction. So, it has sat for all this time unfinished. I did chuck the forks it came with & replaced them with a set of Italvega Forks that I bought many years ago at a LBS. The Steerer Tube needed to be shortened & then threaded to fit the Titan frame. D&D cyles did a great job of matching the paint color for me on the forks.

As of now it is set-up w/ Campy Ergo-Power to a 7-speed set of wheels, but I would like to upgrade it to 8-speed (freewheel), since I have another set of NOS wheels, but the rear hub needs to be spaced correctly first because now; it has 126mm spacing w/ a 6-speed Campy Aluminum Freewheel. I believe the Titan frame is 130mm spacing, so I'm hoping to get everything to fit & function properly. If I do space the hub out, will the wheel need to be re-dished...?

Took it out for it's maiden run yesterday & I must say...it's a very comfortable ride!. Borderline almost being too small for me...but doable. Still ironing a few bugs out, but I think it's a keeper like all my other bikes...

Components:
Crankset & BB - Campy Record
Derailleurs - Campy Record
Brakes - Campy Record Ti
Headset - Campy Record
Stem - Cinelli X/A 12.5 cm
Bars - ITM Pro 260
Seatpost - VeloCarbon 27.2mm
Saddle - Fizik Aliante
Pedals - Look Worlds
Tires - Veloflex Criterium Tubulars
Rims - Mavic GP4
Hubs - Campy Nuovo Record 32 hole 3x
Spokes - DT Comp double butted
Freewheel - Regina America '92 SL 12x26
Chain - Rohloff SLT-99
Bar Tape - Cinelli Cork

Last edited by 1 Lugnut; 09-05-18 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Add photos

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.