Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

700x25 gravel tire suggestions?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-20, 01:00 PM
rozman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm looking for some 'off road' tires for my road bike. The max width that will fit is 25mm.
Mostly for packed/light gravel trails. I'm currently using Conti 4000 road tires in the dirt (for the mixed road+gravel that I ride), but a tire with some (small) knobbiness would be better..
Any suggestions?
Old 12-28-20, 01:28 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I have found the Michelin PRO 4 Endurace to be a really tough tire. Tougher than the Continental Gatorskin but with a softer compound that proves more grip than the super-durable Gatorskin compound.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 12-28-20, 01:54 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
At that size, don't worry about knobbies. File tread is the most you can hope for.

Puncture resistance would be nice.

Can you get 650b wheels with long reach brakes? Might get you above 30. Might also cost more than what you're riding is worth.
Old 12-28-20, 02:25 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Gravelking SKs (non-tubeless version) come in 700x26.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 12-28-20, 04:24 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
IRC has a couple of Marbella options. 26mm? and 28mm.

A couple of reviews mentioned the non-tubeless? option came up somewhat narrower than advertised.
Old 12-28-20, 04:35 PM
Laseranimal

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Vittoria Corsa Control perhaps?
Old 12-29-20, 07:08 AM
Dino_Sore

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Gravelking SKs (non-tubeless version) come in 700x26.
The Gravel King and Gravel King Plus (non-tubeless) also come in 26mm. These have a barely noticeable file tread. I had a pair of the GK 26mm on my road bike as a winter tire, and they measured 25mm on old-school road rims (15mm inner width, I think). They worked well on maintained gravel roads and even held up on more nasty stuff so long as I was careful with speed. As noted above, the SKs come in 26mm but you might have more of a fit issue because of the knobs. But, it's always hard to predict the actual width you will get on your rims.
Old 01-01-21, 07:56 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
There's no such thing as a "25mm gravel tire", that's simply too narrow. Panaracer used to make a 26mm SK but then they figured out that made no sense.
Likes For shoota:
Old 01-01-21, 08:16 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
There's no such thing as a "25mm gravel tire", that's simply too narrow....
I'm prejudiced in this area. There's gravel and then there's gravel tires. On civilized, manicured and consistently sized gravel, I wouldn't want less than 35mm width. With more variation in the size of the gravel, including almost tennis ball size chunks, or grapefruit size stones half buried in the road surface, wider is better, and my 29x3 Chupas are the best answer for me. Whatever width, pressure is very important. Roll tubeless and lower pressure for great cornering and climbing on gravel. I don't see how you could enjoy it on 28mm tires.

My GF has a road bike that accepts up to 700x28mm tires. When we ride gravel, she takes her other bike, sporting 27.5 x 2.1 tires. I think this is the correct strategy.
Old 01-01-21, 10:13 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,964 Times in 4,689 Posts
A bike that takes a max 25mm tire is not a good choice for “off road” riding. In fact, such a bike is literally called a “road bike.”
Old 01-02-21, 11:53 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
A bike that takes a max 25mm tire is not a good choice for “off road” riding. In fact, such a bike is literally called a “road bike.”
I've gotta agree with this. In fact, 25mm tires aren't suited for some roads I know of.

OP: get some file tread 25's, but stick to smoother surfaces. Yes, you can go across all sorts of bumpy and even off road places on a road bike when really needed (plenty of YouTube videos to prove that), but if this is the entire ride, you'll have a better time just getting a frame that can take larger tires.
Old 01-03-21, 10:10 PM
scubaman

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
There's no such thing as a "25mm gravel tire", that's simply too narrow. Panaracer used to make a 26mm SK but then they figured out that made no sense.
+1. If you want to ride gravel with 25mm tires, just use whatever tires you'd normally use. And be careful, and carry spare tubes and patches etc.

If a different bike is not an option, maybe consider smaller wheels, which will allow for bigger tires? Using 650b instead of 700c is trivial with disc brakes, but typically also feasible with caliper (vs cantilever) rim brake frames too. The internet - and these forums - are full of info about such conversions.