Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What Do You Like Least & Why?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What Do You Like Least & Why?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-15, 10:13 AM
kingsting
Bicycle Repairman

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Searching for parts that I know I have. Hate searching for some little trinket fastener/clamp/oddball hardware item that I know is stashed away **somewhere**. It's always the last thing you need to finish that 15 minute job and you spent the last hour and a half looking for it.
Old 11-28-15, 10:41 AM
TimmyT 
Keener splendor

Bikes: Black Mountain Cycles Road and canti MX, Cannondale CAAD12, Bob Jackson Vigorelli

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 51 Posts
I hate truing wheels. Some people find it a sort of zen, but not me. I'm OCD. I like 'em perfect, and eventually I have to give up with wheels. It takes a long time, too. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I hate it.

Just about everything else I can handle ... I especially like getting headsets together and a fork installed because it seems like a project is coming together.
Old 11-28-15, 10:44 AM
TimmyT 
Keener splendor

Bikes: Black Mountain Cycles Road and canti MX, Cannondale CAAD12, Bob Jackson Vigorelli

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Brussel sprouts are best roasted with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, and BACON. Heck, most anything is improved with bacon.
I disagree, and I know I am in the minority. Bacon does not make anything better. I'm not a troll on this point, but once you realize that bacon has a processed, smoky, sulfate-y flavor, you can't avoid it. It shows up everywhere, and it's annoying.
Old 11-28-15, 11:09 AM
sherly

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes im like leay son
Old 11-28-15, 11:21 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by kingsting
Searching for parts that I know I have............ It's always the last thing you need to finish that 15 minute job and you spent the last hour and a half looking for it.
I wrench purely for the enjoyment of wrenching!

Wrenching for me... is a hobby. I often take-in bikes for restoration during the winter months when it's to snowy and cold for cycling on my old bones. Yet... I'll acquire a winter project bike in August.... and by September will have my on-line ordered materials in and the bike all shiny and riding like new.

It's a compulsion to "get r done" I guess.
Old 11-28-15, 12:55 PM
vintagerando

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
I dislike cleaning old, dried out glue off tubulars.
Old 11-28-15, 01:21 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I don't know what I was thinking in my earlier post. The worst is not being able to find what I need. This morning it was, first, a cantilever brake hanger, and, second, my trusty Park chain breaker. I tell myself I'm getting organized.
And, as promised, the sink custom built for finding holes in innertubes:

Old 11-28-15, 04:49 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
what i like the least about building a lower-mid-level bike: the time consuming adjustments that often follow that first shakedown ride, especially brake pad adjustment and correcting a tiny warp in a front rim that prevents the uber silent braking i demand.

... all made worse for a lower-level bike i have little desire to ride at great length. the nicer the bike, the more consumed i am with the whole process.
Old 11-29-15, 12:49 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Raleigh
Classic frames with modern parts. You might as well build a new bike and be done with it.
I hate them. They're an abomination. There is a thread with 204 pages of them, so obviously many disagree. I refuse to look at them.
Old 11-29-15, 01:13 PM
Flying Merkel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Trueing rims truly doth suck. I can take a potato chip'd rim and make it somewhat less potato chippy. Never straight.

Working on bikes that weren't designed to be repaired. The cheap awful pseudo-bikes that can never be fully functional for more than 3 days in a row.
Old 11-29-15, 09:30 PM
Vintage Raleigh

Bikes: 1974 Copper Raleigh International, 1975 Olive Green Raleigh Grand Prix, 1974 Raleigh Europa Custom

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
I hate them. They're an abomination. There is a thread with 204 pages of them, so obviously many disagree. I refuse to look at them.
Also sellers who put cheap new parts on rusty old frames then pretend they're collectors offloading some of their prized pieces
Old 11-30-15, 07:57 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
The bike-related thing I've come to like the least is chasing BB issues on the tandem. Everything has to be done twice. Really. Not only is the noise coming form the last place I look, it is never coming from the first place I look.
Old 11-30-15, 08:27 AM
Ronsonic 

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles Wahl

I cut brake and shifter housing (and cables) with a Dremel fitted with cutoff wheel, then use it to make the end of the housing nice and square.
I've done that and once had it blow up on me - almost literally. The wheel grabbed the strands of a shift cable wrapped them up and created a giant snarl before I could begin to react. So, uh, yeah. The thin cutoff wheels, the ones that go "ping" probably work a lot better for this job than the fiber reinforced.
Old 11-30-15, 09:17 AM
CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
I don't like to be interrupted when I'm working on a project, whether working on a car, RC boat build, machine shop job, house repair, yard work, or bike maintenance. Fercrissakes, can't you see I'm in the middle of something here? Do I have a sign on my back or what?
1988 Pinarello Montello, 1990 Masi Nuova Strada Super Record,
1995 Bianchi Campione d'Italia, 1995 DeBernardi Thron

Old 11-30-15, 09:41 AM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Originally Posted by CroMo Mike
I don't like to be interrupted when I'm working on a project, whether working on a car, RC boat build, machine shop job, house repair, yard work, or bike maintenance. Fercrissakes, can't you see I'm in the middle of something here? Do I have a sign on my back or what?
Too funny! My wife's elderly uncle seems to "stop by" the minute I get a project underway. He is a super nice guy but wants to hang around and "catch-up" as I watch what little time I have to complete the project, slip away over coffee.
Old 11-30-15, 09:55 AM
Chris W.

Bikes: 76' Centrurion Pro-Tour, 86' Specialized Rock Hopper, 88' Centurion Iron Man, 89' Bruce Gordon "Hikari", 95' Rock Hopper Ultra.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The real bummer for me is trying to explain to my wife why I need something (bike related and usually expensive).

Cheers,
Chris
Old 11-30-15, 10:24 AM
Fidbloke

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Brussel sprouts. Never liked squishy Martian heads.
I love ‘em.
Forget all that fancy cooking malarky, I love ‘em raw. You just have to peel off the outer leaves where the slugs have been at them and bung ‘em in your mouth.
Oooooooooh! Nom! Nom! Nom!

When I try to cook them, many don’t make it as far as the pan..

The only (minor) downside is that they do make me fart like a Cart Horse, which some people regard as unacceptable behaviour…

On a more serious note: Not being able to find ‘that bit’ is VERY frustrating. Especially when you know that you saw it a while ago, when you were looking for ‘that other bit’..!

Last edited by Fidbloke; 11-30-15 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Tidy up formatting.
Old 11-30-15, 10:29 AM
Fidbloke

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
I like doing any work on quality bikes & parts. I don't like working on crappy bikes & parts.
Same here.
I volunteer in a local Bike Kitchen, and hate trying to adjust crappy plastic bits that bend and flex, so you can never get them to work properly. Grrrrr.!

Make it from METAL, or don't make it at all.!!!!
Old 11-30-15, 10:46 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Making a mistake that I can't undo... like the time I overtorqued a crank arm by a LOT and then stripped the extractor threads the next time. None of the home remedies worked, I rode it around for a month with a loose bolt. That required a dedicated bike shop to destroy the crankset.

Making a mistake that's wasteful, too. But on the plus side I've gotten a lot better with stringing cables in the last year.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-30-15, 11:54 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Making a mistake that I can't undo...
I still remember when I cut a new threaded steerer on an Italian fork to fit exactly the Campagnolo headset I was installing. Not a mistake properly, since it works OK, but one always should use a spacer just in case you want to use a different stack height headset sometime IMO.
Old 11-30-15, 12:08 PM
Ronsonic 

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
Cottered cranksets. Have never been able to disassemble one in a way that remotely resembled the usual instructions. "Support the crank and arm with a block of wood and gently tap it out" my azz.
Old 11-30-15, 12:37 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Anything dealing with the chain. I don't mind getting my hands dirty, but I do like to be able to wash off grease and grime in one sitting. Also, things that are stuck.
Old 11-30-15, 12:38 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris W.
The real bummer for me is trying to explain to my wife why I need something (bike related and usually expensive).

Cheers,
Chris
+10000000000
Old 11-30-15, 12:43 PM
bmthom.gis

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
One more thing to add....since I do 99% of my wrenching at a friends house (because I don't have a bike stand and he does + all the tools one could need) - When I think I have everything ready to go, and we get a few minutes in and it turns out the part I was going to use for whatever is missing some part to it and the build won't get finished.
Old 11-30-15, 01:03 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18381 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
For cutting cables housing, I normally hacksaw then file. Or, I have one of these.
Circular Saw Blade Sharpener

Remove all the circular saw stuff, and one is left with a nice small grinder with a diamond blade. No tool rest, so maybe just put the diamond blade into a normal mini-grinder instead. Anyway, you can cut and polish cable housing with it quickly. Then use a paper clip or something to straighten out the housing liner if using lined housing.

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Taping bars. I have OCD tendencies, so I always feel I have to clean the bar of any/all stickiness remaining from the last wrap before I put on the new.
The cheap generic Chinese foam tape may not last as long as the brand name wraps, but it also doesn't have sticky tape. Wrapped tightly, I can't see any evidence of it moving.
Originally Posted by horatio
Italian threading...
French? Swiss?

I have the right is right, and left is wrong down with the pedals, but I always get confused with which way to turn the bottom brackets. Usually not a big problem, but annoying.

As far as my pet peeve....
I HATE THE ROUGHNESS WITH CHEAP CONES.
And, I detest PITS.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.