Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

winter bib tights

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

winter bib tights

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-21, 11:37 AM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
Define quality? Last a season, $100 is doable. Last 2, $100 might get you there….3, nope. Agree, bump the budget a bit, OP, and you’ll spend a chunk now and then not have to replace for several seasons.
Good point. Prior season finds will get you in range of the budget. Don't forget to look at your LBS; you might stumble on some good finds.

As far as quality, I'd define it as warm, durable (lasting more than one season), comfortable pad and water resistant, if possible. I look for winter cycling gear with brushed linings and some sort of DWR coating since you want to be comfortable and dry.
Likes For oris:
Old 12-10-21, 12:07 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 1,940 Times in 1,385 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Luckily, in all my years I've only had one mid-ride porta-potti emergency. It was probably 110 degrees in there. Bibs were involved. Jersey had to come off and was thrown out the door. I'm thankful phone and food didn't escape the pockets and fall down the hole. Five more minutes and my ride home would have been even more unpleasant.
I once lent a friend a pair of socks at the start of a longish ride. He had to take them home and wash them before giving them back. 'Nuff said.
Old 12-10-21, 12:49 PM
Andrey
Senior Guest

Bikes: Jamis Endura, Cannondale CAAD, Raleigh Cross, Fausto Coppi.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 31 Posts
Polartec Power Stretch

I also prefer summer or fall bib shorts or knickers and then thermal tights over the shorts for winter riding. After trying many different bibs and tights over the years I settled on Polartec Power Stretch material for winter riding a few years ago after reading some great reviews on icebike website in Alaska.. In the fall-spring I use knee or leg warmers with different summer or fall bib shorts or knickers, depending on the temperature all the way to 35-40 deg. F.

When it gets really cold 30 deg.F or less I prefer heavy weight Polartec Power Stretch tights over regular bib shorts. They are not windproof but super warm and very breathable and very stretchy, have a very wide temperature range from 12 degrees F( the coldest I ever rode) all the way to 40-45 deg. They are my deep winter pants in upstate NY. I actually just picked up another tight that was on sale:
https://www.sierra.com/kenyon-heavyw...retch-pants%2F
Old 12-10-21, 12:50 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 2,958 Times in 1,681 Posts
I used bib shorts plus bib tights for decades without any problems. However, I often combine my cold weather rides with a shopping trip to an Aldi store a little over an hour away from the house, and I'd rather not subject people to the sight of me walking around in tights in the store, so I now use bib shorts plus somewhat loose athletic pants with good-quality suspenders.

Also use mountain-bike-style shorts with suspenders over bib shorts for shopping trips in warm weather, but the buckles on the suspenders are getting pretty rusty from sweat.
Old 12-10-21, 01:15 PM
biglmbass

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Lemme know when Castelli make a XXXXL (= US Lg)
Originally Posted by oris
It's going to be tough to find great quality bib tights for $100. I'd suggest bumping the budget up a bit and getting Castelli Tutto Nano bib tights.

You usually can find them on sale for about $150. They've got ankle zips and reflective cuffs as well.
I have other brands that I like & use, but will say the Tutto Nanos are very good for the price. I think you'd be closer to $125 if you caught them on sale. Knowing how Castelli comes up small, I ordered two sizes and returned what didn't work. I say that to say, I ended up keeping the size M and they fit just fine. (I take a size M in all the bibs I own, but for Sportful) Were they typical lycra/spandex type material I know I'd need a L in Castelli. The thermal fleece type bibs have more give/stretch in the fabric IMO.
Old 12-10-21, 01:28 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by oris
It's going to be tough to find great quality bib tights for $100. I'd suggest bumping the budget up a bit and getting Castelli Tutto Nano bib tights.

You usually can find them on sale for about $150. They've got ankle zips and reflective cuffs as well.
Any experience with the Castelli Estrada? I found a pair of those on sale at Excel Sports for $90.

Dave
Old 12-10-21, 01:42 PM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
I have not personally but reading the description, sounds to be what you're looking for. My only concern is that it may not be wind and water resistant based on the features.

Looking at Excel Sports, the Tutto Nano is only $117; which is a good deal. I think I picked up my pair close to retail.
Old 12-15-21, 03:10 PM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
The comments suggesting spend the money and cry once are honest and true. The stuff will or should last and only need to be replaced perhaps every 10 years and longer. I have perhaps 7 pair of bib tights for all temperature ranges from -15C about 20F to warm enough for knickers. One pair is 28 years old made by Shaversport from Colorado and because I don't wear them all that often (they are for super cold) and I have newer stuff from Assos that are 15 years old, from Rapha 5 years old, different weights from Pearl, Castelli, PRO Shimano. My point is that they are all an investment in function, durability, comfort, warmth and some style too!
Likes For Fox Farm:
Old 12-16-21, 12:52 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
As it says above, look no further than the new Black Bibs tights. They just came out so it's likely few people have tried them but I have a pair of these and they're what you're looking for:
- right around your price range
- they have pockets
- has a chamois

No ankle zipper but it's not necessary due to the way they're designed. They're really nice and well made for this price. I prefer my Pearl Izumi Amfib bib tights a bit, but they're almost twice the price.
Old 12-18-21, 03:58 PM
zen_

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Another vote for dhb from Wiggle or CRC. I can't remember which model I have but the fabric is nice, sort of fleecy on the inside. The chamois is comfy but a little bulky. They do not have ankle zippers. I find this to be a minor issue since I'm not ever going to be putting them on over my shoes.
I have also been very happy with dhb bibs. specifically the basic Aeron line. The fleece (Roubaix) lined ones are really nice, the fit is consistent through all the various basic Aeron models (tights, 3/4, bibs), and the price is great.
Likes For zen_: