Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I feel like a hoarder

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

I feel like a hoarder

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-24, 09:58 AM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Sometimes conflicted. I have 5 vintage (2006 or older) road bikes. But I rotate and ride them regularly.
Old 04-19-24, 10:20 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 1,099 Times in 644 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean

I'll go only as far as doing free tune ups for friends&family on the expectation they MUST bring beer (I emphasize on it often). If the repair/parts exceed the value of beer, I stop and tell them to scrap the bike and buy a new one at a LBS I recommend.

The moral problem here is that if something is given free to someone, especially if they don't even want it, they will never value it, and treat it as trash.

It's definitely a common issue, but not a given. As you point out, it truly comes down to whether they actually want it. Communication is key here - especially if you have some doubts about whether they're saying "yes" because they're trying to tell you what you're hoping to hear, or because they feel like you're pushing them to take it. Involving the exchange of money is one way of finding that out, but I've gifted several folks bicycles and it is gratifying to see that they actually use them. There have been a few instances when it hasn't gone that way, but I don't spend time regretting that.
Old 04-19-24, 01:40 PM
hhk25

Bikes: 2017 Marinoni Tourismo Extreme, 1984 Trek 520, 1987 Niskhiki International, 2013 Brompton M6R, 2016 Brompton P6R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by gearbasher
A younger guy I ride with asked me to leave him one of my bikes in my will. One day he wanted me to work on one of his bikes. When he was carrying his bike down my basement, he must have banged it off the wall 3 times. Well, he's out of my will.
Who could blame you.
Old 04-19-24, 02:15 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2365 Post(s)
Liked 1,753 Times in 1,193 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
As I see it, you have options:

1. Give him the less minty one.
2. Rent a bike to him.
3. Buy him a skateboard.
4. Don't talk to that person anymore.
5. Change jobs.
6. Post it on CL / FBM and send him a link. Offer him a discount as a co-worker. If he really _needs_ a bike (and obviously has a job), he'll pay a fair price for it.
7. Find a fixer-upper that might be a more appropriate commuter (presuming that's what he's looking for), and offer to work WITH him to make it road-worthy. That invests him in it.

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I think I might be in this "If it's cheap or free, it will never be valued by the recipient" camp.
This. Esp in this particular case. Hard-working craftsmen built that bike, and they're not making any more of them. Ever. I'd personally rather see any "basement queens" outlive me and go to an enthusiast in an estate sale than be run into the ground, which is a real possibility with anything offered free.
Old 04-19-24, 03:01 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 277 Posts
I gave a nice 26" bike to a teen kid once, only to see him resell it a week later.

I'm aware that does happen, it's the chance I take when I know the other 19/20 kids will be encouraged to bike as I did when I was their age.

So again, ya, I'm totally fine with my morals, no free bikes for WORKING adults.

Because I make my coffee at home, while folks go to Starbucks twice a day for their entire lives and complain to me that my bikes cost too much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
starbucks.jpg (47.3 KB, 79 views)
Likes For soyabean:
Old 04-19-24, 03:27 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2365 Post(s)
Liked 1,753 Times in 1,193 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
Because I make my coffee at home, while folks go to Starbucks twice a day for their entire lives and complain to me that my bikes cost too much.
This should be on a coffee mug.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 04-19-24, 08:58 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr., Libertas mixte

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 452 Posts
If you like your coworker, maybe invite them for a ride/fitting/tryout. If they actually go for a ride with you, and seem to like it enough to make a date for another, you might gain a riding buddy, or at least feel better about parting with it. It would not be unreasonable to ask for a "right of first refusal" if they decide to sell it.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 04-20-24, 10:17 AM
Nwvlvtnr 

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
I once gave a homeless man a frame and fork, at the time I didn’t have many extra things . He insisted he knew people with parts and tools and would be able to build and ride it. He looked healthy and was unladen by any other possessions. When I handed it to him he proceeded to grab it by a dropout and walk away down the side walk dragging it on the ground behind him. He often walked past my house on his way to the nearby bus stop, he never said a word about the frame and I certainly never saw him riding it.

On the other hand I gave a Schwinn Stingray Krate to my friends 10 year old son and the kid loves it and rides it all the time.

Most overhyped bicycle I’ve ever owned, was fun to build though.
Likes For Nwvlvtnr: