Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Trainer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-18, 04:59 PM
SundayNiagara

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Trainer?

I have been away from this forum for a very long time and own a Trek SL5 which I've only ridden a couple of times due to health issues. I've recently been feeling better and would like to start riding, but the legs are very weak and I don't want to venture out into South Florida streets with them being out of shape.

So I am looking for advice on a stationary trainer and have no idea where to start? I am thinking maybe in the $300. price range?

Thanks in advance.

Mark
Old 04-05-18, 05:28 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,110 Times in 1,418 Posts
Unless you want a smart trainer in order to do Zwift, there's no need to spend $300 on a trainer.

Something like this would be perfectly fine for your purposes: https://www.bikenashbar.com/cycling/...r-as-fl13-base

PS: welcome back!
Old 04-05-18, 05:42 PM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Liked 140 Times in 75 Posts
Personally, I LOVE my Cycleops Magnus, especially since a recent firmware update gave it the ability to send cadence data. It costs around $500 but you can have a lot of fun with Zwift, Trainerroad, Today's Plan, TP, etc. (you can with other trainers too, but unless you go "smart" trainer, the workout cannot control the trainer).

I also own some very nice Cycleops Rollers and am considering Ebaying them at this point, literally haven't touched them since getting this smart trainer.
Old 04-05-18, 06:00 PM
SundayNiagara

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Unless you want a smart trainer in order to do Zwift, there's no need to spend $300 on a trainer.

Something like this would be perfectly fine for your purposes: https://www.bikenashbar.com/cycling/...r-as-fl13-base

Thanks.
Old 04-05-18, 06:11 PM
Dopefish905

Bikes: Cervelo S3

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
IF your really not interested in Zwift or smart trainers, I would get the Kurt Kenetic, it will last a lifetime and is rock solid and has a great feel. If you feel like upgrading it, you can add a Bluetooth addition that will estimate power pretty closely and you can ride on Zwift with it. Find em used pretty easy for 250-300. Buy used if you can, cause they don’t break or wear out.

If your even thinking of using Zwift in the future get the smart trainer though and don’t waste your time or money.
Old 04-05-18, 06:27 PM
SundayNiagara

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dopefish905
IF your really not interested in Zwift or smart trainers, I would get the Kurt Kenetic, it will last a lifetime and is rock solid and has a great feel. If you feel like upgrading it, you can add a Bluetooth addition that will estimate power pretty closely and you can ride on Zwift with it. Find em used pretty easy for 250-300. Buy used if you can, cause they don’t break or wear out.

If your even thinking of using Zwift in the future get the smart trainer though and don’t waste your time or money.
Thanks.
I just want to get some strength in my legs.
Old 04-06-18, 08:24 AM
OBoile

Liked 326 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Dopefish905

I did what you suggest here (got the KK trainer, then upgraded with the power meter). It works quite well IMO.

Having said that, I purchased it before I had heard of Zwift. If I was buying a trainer now, I'd likely do as you suggest and get a smart trainer right from the start.
Old 04-06-18, 09:37 AM
Michael Novo

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
This was the answer for me but not necessarily for others. When using regular trainers I'd get bored and would not push myself very hard. On Black Friday I landed a deal for 20% off a new Wahoo Kickr Snap and tried a Zwift subscription. No going back to a regular trainer for me. Group rides, FTP tests and other workouts are enough to keep me entertained. As silly as it sounds I chase the upgrades the game offers (every km or mile you ride gives you a certain number of points). Drafting, up and downhill all feels really good (the game adjusts the intensity on these things). And the graphics which are always in the works are a nice serene getaway from tv for me.
Old 04-06-18, 10:04 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Liked 852 Times in 412 Posts
keep it simple. I always see a trainer or two on Craig's List for like $50-75. might have to ask your LBS for a "trainer skewer" that fits the trainer's couplings. your legs will be fine in a few weeks, don't over invest. later, if you like, you can upgrade.
Old 04-06-18, 10:07 AM
SundayNiagara

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
keep it simple. I always see a trainer or two on Craig's List for like $50-75. might have to ask your LBS for a "trainer skewer" that fits the trainer's couplings. your legs will be fine in a few weeks, don't over invest. later, if you like, you can upgrade.
Thanks.
Old 04-06-18, 03:05 PM
SundayNiagara

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso

Does anyone else sell this trainer? Nashbar won't have it until April 30.

PS: I did check Amazon.