Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling does not require skills?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cycling does not require skills?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-24, 12:14 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 437 Posts
https://escapecollective.com/kim-le-...n-on-saturday/

Kim Le Court-Pienaar (emphasis mine):
Riding in the bunch was a new experience for me. I know how to fight for position in getting onto the singletracks but in a mountain bike race we are not a group of 150 riders where all of them are on a high level and racing aggressively which makes the bunch a scary place to be honest.

My teammates joked that I can’t be scared because I am used to crazy downhills on rock gardens and all, but I said the rocks front of me don’t move like riders in a bunch. Another thing is that mistakes on the MTB are almost always your own fault. In road racing so much more is happening out of your control and you have to be focused and wide awake all the time. It’s way longer in kilometers but shorter in hours [than marathon racing]. It’s a big difference but I am adjusting to it.
Old 04-08-24, 12:37 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 382 Posts
Originally Posted by tai1fob
your friend is right, and that is the reason I decided to get more serious with cycling. I am so out of shape and uncoordinated, I cannot join any local basketball or tennis club because I can’t play any “real” sports like those, but I also don’t want to stay “unhealthy” without any regular exercise.
“Most” popular sports that brings in tons of revenue are much harder and takes much more time to practice to be remotely competitive.
take baseball or football for example, sure, you can round up enough guys together to play a game, but if you want to join any club for “real” games that counts, it takes years of practice to get qualified for a “real team”.
for cycling, you can practice on your own and sign up a local event, and it is within the realm of possibility to do well in the event if the person is very determined.
This brings up an interesting point - at a recreational level, cycling is a relatively easy sport for an adult novice to get into. Within a summer, someone who doesn't know how to ride a bicycle could learn and complete a 50 mile ride by the fall. I think it would be considerably harder for an adult who's never picked up a tennis racket before to play a decent game of tennis by fall. Likewise basketball. Likewise golf. There are people who have played golf their whole lives and are still quite bad at it.

Cycling is my lifelong sport, and at the highest levels requires a great motor and good kinesthetic intelligence (athleticism). But for the rest of us, I think it's great that it's highly accessible.
Insta: JohnMichaelFlores | TikTok: @johnnymotoflores
Likes For john m flores:
Old 04-08-24, 01:44 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3244 Post(s)
Liked 2,523 Times in 1,516 Posts
Most recreational golfers, if playing by the rules, never break 100 in their lifetime. I've been out of it for about 15 years, but the average score used to be around 102 despite the enormous gains in technology/game improvement. I had a friend that I played with for about 5 years. I was close to scratch and always played the ball down and by the rules.(you need to if you play any competitive golf) He asked me one time how many strokes I thought he was getting playing the ball up and not counting every stroke. He thought it was around 3-5 strokes a round. I said it was about 20 or more. He decided to play the next round by the rules. It ended being 23 more than he usally recorded on that course. He quit shortly after that. His problems were mental. He had the skills to play much better, but would make bad decisions selecting clubs. His ego would not let him make overall good strategy decisions.
Likes For seypat:
Old 04-11-24, 07:05 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 386 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
There are people who have played golf their whole lives and are still quite bad at it.
I know a lot of folks who have been cycling for decades and are very, very bad at it, some are my best customers, so I'm all like "good job!"...
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 04-11-24, 08:48 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Still working on emulating Danny

maybe next lifetime
Old 04-12-24, 04:41 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4455 Post(s)
Liked 4,921 Times in 3,045 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
I know a lot of folks who have been cycling for decades and are very, very bad at it, some are my best customers, so I'm all like "good job!"...
I think that’s the same with any sport, especially if they were adult learners. But at least with cycling they can still get by for decades. They would probably just give up with other sports if they were really that bad.
Old 04-12-24, 07:28 AM
wheelreason

Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 386 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I think that’s the same with any sport, especially if they were adult learners. But at least with cycling they can still get by for decades. They would probably just give up with other sports if they were really that bad.
There is always pickle ball...
Old 04-12-24, 08:51 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3244 Post(s)
Liked 2,523 Times in 1,516 Posts
The risk of injury in pickle ball is high simply because of the age demographic. It may be slower overall than the other racquet sports, but you're still making the same movements.
Old 04-12-24, 09:06 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4455 Post(s)
Liked 4,921 Times in 3,045 Posts
I had to Google this because I’d never heard of it before. Actually looks fun. Sort of like “large font” table tennis 😂
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-14-24, 02:58 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 982 Times in 652 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I thought that most DH racers wore armor. The ones I watched competing at Deer Valley all wore armor, but that was in the 2000s.

Maybe things have changed.
They still do since down hill and free disciplines ride can lead to dangerous accidents but I think their armor is thinner compared to what they used to wear before .

Last edited by georges1; 04-15-24 at 04:17 PM.
Likes For georges1:
Old 04-14-24, 03:09 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 982 Times in 652 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Enduro racing is relatively new. Some DH racers end up doing enduro after they're done with DH. Didn't Sam Hill kick ass in enduro for a while?
He returned back to dh last year Sam Hill is Back to Take on a Full Season of World Cup Downhill Racing. But after 5 years successful years racing Enduro, Sam is swapping his Nukeproof Mega for a new Dissent Carbon Downhill bike all set on a return to the sport he loves; downhill racing.
Old 04-14-24, 03:33 PM
ScottCommutes

Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 182 Posts
Women talk to me if I get anywhere near a pickleball court, even without clothes, shoes, or a racquet.
Old 04-14-24, 03:44 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8311 Post(s)
Liked 9,105 Times in 4,501 Posts
Originally Posted by georges1
He returned back to dh last year Sam Hill is Back to Take on a Full Season of World Cup Downhill Racing. But after 5 years successful years racing Enduro, Sam is swapping his Nukeproof Mega for a new Dissent Carbon Downhill bike all set on a return to the sport he loves; downhill racing.
I didn't know he had gone back to DH. I tried to find any results from last year but couldn't. Pretty tough for anyone to return to the highest level after being away for years. Nearly impossible, it seems.
Old 04-22-24, 02:46 AM
razorjack

Bikes: Trans Sentinel, Spesh Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Didn't see him last year... however, after few years break from racing (even enduro) - family, covid etc. I doubt he can "successfully return"
there is a new breed of young crazy riders already (No, i'm not talking about Loris, Loic or Amaury )