Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-18, 01:54 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadesfire
I know in the heirarchy of Bianchi frame this is pretty low end, but it is by far the nicest bike I have built so far...
I took it for a spin yesterday afternoon and I can't decide (due to my lack of experience I suppose) whether it is a squirrelly ride due to some mechanical issue I'm missing or if it's just so much more responsive than anything I've ridden so far .
I have an '87 Brava (yours is '86, no?) and I love it. It is my most-used commuter, with a hub generator, nice B&M LED lights, and Conti GP4000-II tires. It feels robust and efficient, though it is not the quickest bike in the stable.

The first time I rode it it felt so squirrelly I wondered what kind of beast I had just built. So I named it the black snake and told my wife it would probably kill me. It didn't take long for it to feel perfectly normal, and now I'd name it one of the most intuitive-feeling bikes in the stable. It isn't the best at cornering or at do-as-I-say-to-do in a turn, but everything about the cockpit just feel like it is where it should be.
Old 01-15-18, 02:03 PM
Jadesfire 

Bikes: '88 Bianchi, '94ish Trek

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
I have an '87 Brava (yours is '86, no?) and I love it. It is my most-used commuter, with a hub generator, nice B&M LED lights, and Conti GP4000-II tires. It feels robust and efficient, though it is not the quickest bike in the stable.

The first time I rode it it felt so squirrelly I wondered what kind of beast I had just built. So I named it the black snake and told my wife it would probably kill me. It didn't take long for it to feel perfectly normal, and now I'd name it one of the most intuitive-feeling bikes in the stable. It isn't the best at cornering or at do-as-I-say-to-do in a turn, but everything about the cockpit just feel like it is where it should be.
That's good to "hear" . That description is just about right. Almost like it feels so right something has to be wrong (if that makes sense).
I think it's an '88, but I haven't double checked a serial # or anything.
Old 01-17-18, 07:24 PM
Dean51 

Bikes: '8? Ciocc Mockba 80, '82 Ron Cooper, '84 Allez, '86 Tommasini Racing, '86? Klein Quantum, '87 Ciocc Designer 84, '95 Trek 5500, '98 Litespeed Classic, '98 S-Works Mtb

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 122 Posts
Another winter project.....building up a Ciocc Mockba 80 as a dedicated "climber" for this summer's Ride the Hurricane in Olympic National Park. Just under 5000' of climbing over 18 miles.....no need for anything resembling big gears.

This will be a 1x7 drivetrain with a 39 or 40 tooth chainring pulling a friction shifted 14-32 Suntour New Winner freewheel. Cogs will be 32-28-24-21-18-16-14. One of my goals for this project was to spend as little money as possible. Read that to mean use as many on-hand parts as possible. I have a Sugino Super Maxy crankset with 110 mm BCD that opens the door for a variety of small chainrings. This crank requires a JIS taper spindle, but the Italian bottom brackets I have on hand have ISO tapers. Shimano makes cartridge style bottom brackets that will do the job, but why buy new when you can hack something together?

Examining the parts, I discovered the Campy 70-SS ISO taper spindle and the Sugino JIS taper spindle have the exact same spacing (55 mm) between bearing centers. The bearing ball diameter is identical is well at ~6.3 mm. The only difference is the ball retainer for the Sugino bearings is a wee bit larger than the Campy retainer and would "rub" on the inside of the cups. Soooo, I installed the Campy fixed cup & bearing, the Sugino spindle, and the Campy adjustable cup & bearing. Fit up was perfect and the spindle turns super smooth. Even the chainline is good!

Picture below. The gray primered fork in the background will be a tale for another day.

Dean

Old 01-17-18, 07:35 PM
Dean51 

Bikes: '8? Ciocc Mockba 80, '82 Ron Cooper, '84 Allez, '86 Tommasini Racing, '86? Klein Quantum, '87 Ciocc Designer 84, '95 Trek 5500, '98 Litespeed Classic, '98 S-Works Mtb

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy
Liking the Wilton bullet vise. ^^^
Me too, it is an amazing vise that weighs a heap. I bought it from my employer when we were shutting down a truck shop. Going price for scrap metal was $0.01 per pound. I paid something on the order of $5 or $6 for it.

Dean
Old 01-17-18, 09:29 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
Liking the Wilton bullet vise. ^^^
-----

The old style small anvil examples have even more aesthetic appeal:

-----
Old 01-18-18, 10:45 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Big confession --- I'm a "car guy" too

Not to the extent where I can do ground up restoration and re-builds --- I have one of those in progress and its no fun --- but finding something nice that is "almost there" and tidying up the last details is big fun for me

While looking for parts for my resto project on craigslist , I found this --- a '71 Cheyenne CST (custom sport truck) 10, factory 396 vehicle with a lot of options ---- it had had a re-paint done about 10 years ago and has a number of small issues I am going through now - mostly electrical --- and I am working on re-installing the proper factory power steering pump, AC compressor and low profile valve covers -- basically erase any of the hot-rod oriented mods that have been made to the beast
--- easy stuff for a true grease monkey, but I am a novice --- I have more fun cruising than wrenchin'

It looks clean enough, but that aftermarket manifold and carb setup has gotta go too --- funny, these are the things I would have seen value in 20 years ago -- LOL

Old 01-18-18, 10:48 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Not to completely derail this thread with vise talk, but Dean, nice score on the bullet!
A good vise is an unsung hero in any shop
Old 01-18-18, 02:55 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
Big confession --- I'm a "car guy" too

Not to the extent where I can do ground up restoration and re-builds --- I have one of those in progress and its no fun --- but finding something nice that is "almost there" and tidying up the last details is big fun for me

While looking for parts for my resto project on craigslist , I found this --- a '71 Cheyenne CST (custom sport truck) 10, factory 396 vehicle with a lot of options ---- it had had a re-paint done about 10 years ago and has a number of small issues I am going through now - mostly electrical --- and I am working on re-installing the proper factory power steering pump, AC compressor and low profile valve covers -- basically erase any of the hot-rod oriented mods that have been made to the beast
--- easy stuff for a true grease monkey, but I am a novice --- I have more fun cruising than wrenchin'

It looks clean enough, but that aftermarket manifold and carb setup has gotta go too --- funny, these are the things I would have seen value in 20 years ago -- LOL

That's clean. Hold on to it. They're going up in value. The past couple of years on Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale, pick-ups have been showing. Just these past two days I've already seen quite a few on the block.
Old 01-18-18, 02:56 PM
2cam16

Started work on this Keno:
IMG_3284 by 2cam16, on Flickr
Old 01-18-18, 03:36 PM
juvela

Originally Posted by DMC707
A good vise is an unsung hero in any shop
-----

I have always thought o' me Wiltons as a second pair of infinitely strong hands to assist me work.

Use an L-shaped work bench and keep one on each of the two outer corners. That way I can tie one up with a piece of equipment like the VAR frame holding jig that works with an expander inside the seat tube or the Park fork alignment jig...and still have the other free for short jobs such as gear block pulls.

One o' me Wiltons is a Cadet model from 1966 that I did a rebuild on.

-----

Last edited by juvela; 01-22-18 at 05:27 PM. Reason: spellin'
Old 01-22-18, 05:14 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
Currently in the garage is a 1970 Raleigh International I brought home from the Bike Exchange last weekend. After a lot of cleaning The frame looks pretty good. One small dent in the front edge of the seat tube, good chrome on the stays. There are a couple dents in the forks and the chrome socks were pretty pitted. The most notable thing was the Mafac TOP 63 brakes. Very unusual, not at all like the "Racer" model. Supposedly rare and valuable. Not sure what I am going to do with it. Probably would be best to sell the bare frame but I have an idea to turn it into a super light weight Raleigh 3 speed style upright "gentlemans" bicycle with north road bars, light 700 c wheels and maybe a 1x 5 close ratio freewheel . It came to me with a 14-17-20-23-26 Pro comp and that along with a nice friction thumbie should make a good set up with maybe a 36 tooth single sprocket up front. The list weight on the bike is 22.5 lb. It would be cool if I could get it down near 20 lbs. Maybe I can find a carbon fork in the shop. We have at least 200 forks hanging up so I will look to see if I can find anything lighter than the original.
Old 01-22-18, 06:03 PM
phenry24 

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Paramount PDG-7, Peugeot PX10, Bridgestone MB-4, Kona Unit

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts

Spokes are arriving tomorrow so I can start building the wheelset, the handlebars, stem, and seatpost are sitting in customs but hopefully they'll arrive by the end of the week. So far I just have the fork and what parts of the 5800 groupset that are able installed. I'm excited to find out if what I've read about this frame being stiff is true.
Old 01-22-18, 09:26 PM
Scottybigs 

Bikes: Schwinn Voyageur SP | Sekine SHS-271 | Wabi Special

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Got to try out my winter upgrades sooner than expected this past weekend:

Old 01-23-18, 11:58 AM
    Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
    Quoted: 397 Post(s)
    Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
    Cleaned and regreased the bearings in my Helicomatic rear hub. Cleaned and oiled Helicomatic free wheel. Cleaned and relubed chain. Now I'm good for another season.
    Jon
    Old 01-24-18, 08:17 PM
    phenry24 

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Paramount PDG-7, Peugeot PX10, Bridgestone MB-4, Kona Unit

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
    Quoted: 18 Post(s)
    Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts

Played a lot of wheel harp tonight and got some other stuff installed. Tomorrow I tackle the cable routing and mount the tires then it's time for a test ride.
    Old 01-25-18, 07:31 AM
    DQRider 
    Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
    Quoted: 984 Post(s)
    Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
    I've finished The Unnecessary Bridgestone:

And given my Raysport (Turismo) Light Roadster a makeover:

Now I'm building up a Pure City step-thru for my daughter:

Apologies for the lousy CL ad photo. Pics of the finished product coming soon.

... and I'm resurrecting my Peugeot Versailles city bike for her (longtime) boyfriend:

This is my peculiar manifestation of Spring Fever. I spend pretty much every night after work out in the shop, listening to surf guitar music and spinning wrenches. It helps keep me sane (as far as I know...)

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
    Old 01-26-18, 04:18 PM
    2cam16

Started disassembling this Yokota. Found these nice ODI TOmac grips on them. Still in pretty good condition. These are keepers for me.
    IMG_3362 by 2cam16, on Flickr
    IMG_3363 by 2cam16, on Flickr
    Old 01-26-18, 04:33 PM
    3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
    Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
    Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
    Pulled this frame out to rebuild. 89 Bianchi CDI in progress.
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg
    image.jpg (1.65 MB, 212 views)
    Old 01-26-18, 05:45 PM
    juvela

-----

@DQRider -

Senor Raysport's selle appears it may have had a visit with a colourist for a wee spot o' "lightening"; be that correct or am I OTL como normale?

-----
    Old 01-26-18, 08:45 PM
    DQRider 
    Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Originally Posted by juvela
    -----

@DQRider -

Senor Raysport's selle appears it may have had a visit with a colourist for a wee spot o' "lightening"; be that correct or am I OTL como normale?

-----
    Good eye, @juvela. That's a new saddle, made to look like an old saddle by some division of Brooks, Inc. I found it at a bargain price, and bought it for my favorite bike. It is going to have a lot of use over the next few years, so it will be interesting to see how it wears over time. I'll keep you all posted, of course...

Old 01-26-18, 08:50 PM
    Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
    Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
    Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
    Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
    I've been dealing with a weird illness of some sort (equilibrium-based--real fun) ever since Jan 1 and there have been some other factors that have led it to linger. So to pass the time during some properly dreary and rainy days and nights, I cleaned up the apartment from its post-Christmas mess, and assembled my '99 Marinoni again, lol. Why have organized piles of frames, wheels, and parts, when you can organize them into one easy-to-move bicycle?!? Genius! Also, it weighs in at a hair over 20.0 lbs with pedals and cages. 25mm tires juuuuust clear the seat tube in the back, and the underside of the fork crown in front. Full 7800 with light Vuelta wheels. 11-28T cassette in back. It'll climb in more ways than one...if only it would stop raining so I can try it out...

Somehow, I still have yet to re-tighten the headset on my Miyata winter bike that I ride every day....go figure.

How bad is the Dent in the Top Tube?
    Old 01-26-18, 10:20 PM
    RiddleOfSteel
    Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
    Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
    Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
    Originally Posted by Wileyone
    How bad is the Dent in the Top Tube?
    Not bad enough to make it a wall hanger!

In all seriousness, it's something that will make one pause for a second. Frame and fork are aligned fine still. Using a straight edge along it's top, bottom, left and right edges; the top and left edges of the tubes are essentially dead straight. The right and bottom edges deviate from straight, obviously--what gets pushed in must push out somewhere else. Never feels weird or frail. With the head tube, down tube, and chain stays as beefy as they are, it's been fine. Currently, it is slated to go to a new loving home with a fellow BF member. Stays in the family!
    Old 01-27-18, 03:17 AM
    TheTeaHermit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
    Quoted: 5 Post(s)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    1984 Centurion Turbo I picked up for $125 with all original components.

Currently just cleaning her up and overhauling to get ready for the season. Clamp on the FD broke. Which is a bummer. I've got other FDs laying around and I'll just throw a Shimano 600 on there if I can't find a replacement clamp or actual derailleur. It's a Suntour Superbe Pro, and it's the original equipment so I was hoping to salvage it. Any thoughts on how to do so?

Old 01-27-18, 01:58 PM
    canklecat
    Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
    Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
    Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
    Literally wrenching the pedals off my Centurion Ironman to replace the platforms with Look pedals. Apparently the previous owner installed the otherwise nice Wellgo platforms without greasing the threads and used a hydraulic wrench to weld the steel and aluminum.

I'm having to disassemble the pedals on the cranks. I managed to get one pedal off but I'll need to find a shop with a bench vise to get the other.

So, my first foray with clipless will be delayed a bit. Unless I get impatient and try the new pedals and shoes on my Univega hybrid.
    Old 01-27-18, 06:35 PM
    DQRider 
    Old Boy

Just finished my daughter's bike. I'm excited about this because she didn't show much enthusiasm for cycling once she reached puberty. But now that her boyfriend is getting into it, she had to have a new bike NOW!

And the bike she picked was not what I would have given her, I wanted to build up a good quality lugged chro-moly mixte. But she chose this Chinese-made city bike, and I've been busy replacing all the components that didn't meet my standards: BB, shifter (it had one of those lousy plastic grip-shift setups), cables, grips, pedals, and I wanted to replace that goofy padded-vinyl seat with a proper V.O. sprung leather touring saddle, but she wants to keep this plasticky pillow instead.

And of course, I added a basket and a good lock so it's less likely to get stolen. I can't wait to see her ride it...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.