Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment
Reload this Page >

Rate the last movie you watched

Notices
Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment Do we really need a description for this forum?

Rate the last movie you watched

Old 05-24-22, 07:36 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4536 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,481 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote View Post
I am quite excited for this one. The wife actually asked me if we were going to see this on the big screen. (squee)
oh man can't believe I have to wait until Friday. just found out there are early access premieres
https://www.topgunmovie.com/
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 05-24-22, 02:52 PM
DMC707 

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1552 Post(s)
Liked 845 Times in 571 Posts
Really bad day for me on Saturday so i had a triple feature of vintage inspired movies

The Kings Men - 2021 - the prequel for the series

followed by The Monuments MEn - the 2014 film about the group of older gents recruited to find stashes of antiquities stolen by the Germans in WW2

and finally the 2017 Murder On The Orient Express !

Ive got to say i truly enjoyed them all , but had to set aside reality quite a bit at some of the action sequences in The Kings Men

OF those 3 i cant honestly name a favorite as i thought they were all entertaining anfd fit my taste for "period" action movies
Old 05-24-22, 04:44 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1694 Post(s)
Liked 545 Times in 385 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
oh man can't believe I have to wait until Friday. just found out there are early access premieres
https://www.topgunmovie.com/
We got our tickets for Saturday in the big lounge chairs. I feel the need....
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 05-25-22, 06:36 AM
Cornchips

Bikes: Giant Cross City 3 (Escape)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Extract (2009) starring Jason Bateman and Mila Kunis. Can't believe I hadn't seen this before. Was pleasantly surprised.

7.5/10
Likes For Cornchips:
Old 05-25-22, 06:45 AM
rumrunn6

We got our tickets for Saturday in the big lounge chairs. I feel the need....
if you haven't seen this it's pretty entertaining

Old 05-28-22, 04:23 AM
rumrunn6

Can't go without Goose!The original is one of few movies I own on a physical media. I hope this one makes a worthy follow up.
my review: excellent. in the mission sequences I found myself quite tense & involuntarily squeezing things. laughs & applause from the audience. and I just want more. Maverick 3! I'd stayed for all the credits at the end & was amazed at what went into this production

I was 15minutes early & the line for the concession was too long to tolerate so I went in w/o. wore a mask cuz I'm seeing my elderly parents out of state today. hit the concession on the way out & got pizza & ice cream sandwich. both mistakes. the pizza was old & nasty & the ice cream sandwich was a meal I didn't need. ate some of each & chucked some. would have preferred my original plan for twirlers & popcorn. I stayed in my seat for the duration, despite a single Jack & Ginger immediately before going in. met a 34 yr old woman at the concession & we chatted while they built my ice cream. she hadn't seen the 1st movie. I now want to re-watch it

enjoy!
Old 05-28-22, 08:37 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

my review: excellent. in the mission sequences I found myself quite tense & involuntarily squeezing things. laughs & applause from the audience. and I just want more. Maverick 3! I'd stayed for all the credits at the end & was amazed at what went into this production

I was 15minutes early & the line for the concession was too long to tolerate so I went in w/o. wore a mask cuz I'm seeing my elderly parents out of state today. hit the concession on the way out & got pizza & ice cream sandwich. both mistakes. the pizza was old & nasty & the ice cream sandwich was a meal I didn't need. ate some of each & chucked some. would have preferred my original plan for twirlers & popcorn. I stayed in my seat for the duration, despite a single Jack & Ginger immediately before going in. met a 34 yr old woman at the concession & we chatted while they built my ice cream. she hadn't seen the 1st movie. I now want to re-watch it

enjoy!

We put on the first one last night to get ourselves properly prepped. Our show time is 12:05, about to head out the door in a bit.

Glad to hear it's good. Very excited to see it.
Old 05-28-22, 02:05 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

rumrunn6 , it was astounding, wasn't it?

I totally see what you mean about gripping the chair.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 05-28-22, 09:04 PM
rumrunn6

it was astounding, wasn't it? I totally see what you mean about gripping the chair.
I feel like they needed to do the sequel & now that that's over, they can create more new content. more of the nitty gritty. did you notice the last shot of the movie, the old fighter jet flying off into the sunset & looping over inverted then straight out of the frame. that was him. how fun for him. I want to see more of him & others doing fun acrobatics. maybe next film can start with him out of service working air shows & then they pull him back in maybe as a for hire mercenary ... how did they always pull Rambo back in? weren't the closeups, really closeup? can you imagine having those genes? Jennifer is so pretty. wasn't the personal intro & thank you a nice touch?
Old 05-29-22, 09:55 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

I feel like they needed to do the sequel & now that that's over, they can create more new content. more of the nitty gritty. did you notice the last shot of the movie, the old fighter jet flying off into the sunset & looping over inverted then straight out of the frame. that was him. how fun for him. I want to see more of him & others doing fun acrobatics. maybe next film can start with him out of service working air shows & then they pull him back in maybe as a for hire mercenary ... how did they always pull Rambo back in? weren't the closeups, really closeup? can you imagine having those genes? Jennifer is so pretty. wasn't the personal intro & thank you a nice touch?

I really do think they left it open for a sequel, but believe it will involve the newer generation, not Tom.

I liked the personal message on the opening. I have to say that for all the time he has been doing movies, this was the first time I have seen him actually showing his age. Looks damned good for nearly 60 yo.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 05-30-22, 06:43 AM
Cornchips

Bikes: Giant Cross City 3 (Escape)

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
"You two characters are going to Top Gun".

I also plan on going to Top Gun too
Likes For Cornchips:
Old 05-30-22, 06:50 AM
prairiepedaler

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 124 Posts
The Soft Skin - Criterion Collection

I hadn't heard about this Truffaut work but I certainly enjoyed it. It was a film born in the era of "new wave" French moviemaking. Certainly no CGI or product placement, and shot in black & white.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆/10

Last edited by prairiepedaler; 05-30-22 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-31-22, 09:08 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 937 Times in 620 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler View Post
I hadn't heard about this Truffaut work but I certainly enjoyed it. It was a film born in the era of "new wave" French moviemaking. Certainly no CGI or product placement, and shot in black & white.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆/10
Good suggestion. Watched The Soft Skin last night on TV, streamed from the Criterion Channel. 8/10.

For a change of pace also watched Black Caesar, a typical Blaxplotation movie of its era (1973). I anticipated all the usual stereotypes and wooden acting; the movie delivered them on cue. 5/10.
Old 05-31-22, 09:08 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Jungleland 2019 - This film notably stars Charlie Hunnam of SoA fame, it was directed by the Fonz' son Max, his directorial debut.

The start of the movie and well up to halfway through is very strange in the aspect that you really have very little idea of what is going on. Half of the plot just sort of drags along until a reveal much later into the film. It was almost to a level of distraction on its own. In spite of this aspect the movie is quite watchable. Charlie's part is not a stone throw from Jax Teller in his mannerism and it seems very familiar if you watched that series. Overall, it finishes and a pretty decent movie. Maybe a 6+, worth sitting for.
Old 05-31-22, 10:54 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Cornchips View Post
"You two characters are going to Top Gun".

I also plan on going to Top Gun too
welcome to the party! see it yet?
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 06-02-22, 01:27 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

American Animals (2018) -

Some college kids decide that staging a robbery is their mission in life. The movie has a neat way of portraying the characters while at the same time having commentary from the real life perpetrators. It is an interesting watch, if not the best movie you have ever seen. I would go 7/10 due to staying interested for the full telling.
Old 06-04-22, 09:17 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Minamata (2020) 9/10, starring Johnny Depp in an excellent portrayal of the renowned Life Magazine photo journalist Eugene Smith on his last assignment to the Japanese city of Minamata. The local population is being devastated by mercury poisoning from a local chemical company. Gene Smith's photographs from WW2 and for the next several decades are briefly referred to but this story is based on Smith at the end of his fantastic photo journalist career, and the suffering victims of an environmental disaster as well as the locals struggle for official recognition for the extant of the problem.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 06-04-22 at 09:22 PM.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 06-06-22, 09:54 AM
colorider
smorenivore

Bikes: '06 Novara Divano, '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked 1,458 Times in 576 Posts
Saw The Power of the Dog this weekend. 5/10. Strange movie. We almost turned it off but stuck it out. It had some interesting parts but mostly just a weird movie.
Old 06-06-22, 02:23 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12265 Post(s)
Liked 3,822 Times in 2,642 Posts
Top Gun: Maverick. Saw the original Top Gun that morning... just to see how Tom Cruise ages...

The movie was good... great CGI, no doubt. The plot is a bit thin... some nation (undisclosed) has a way to enrich uranium... the mission is to stop it.

OK, the action was edge of the seat good golly gee wiz. The suspension of disbelief was thick... based on holes in the plot and reality... but it was easy to squint and ignore it for the CGI and action.

Look for the Star Wars parallels. (I swear Yoda was in there somewhere with "Don't think, just do.")

And yeah, the ending even brought a tear to my wife's eye... (was it the story or the fact that it was finally over... she'll never tell).

Buddy buddy military action movie with edge of the seat action. Enjoy it... just do it. Tom Cruise is older.
Old 06-07-22, 12:32 PM
DMC707 

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1552 Post(s)
Liked 845 Times in 571 Posts
Re-watched 2014's The Grand Budapest Hotel. ITs on HBO Max. I had seen this movie when it became available on DVD in 2014 or '15 and was underwhelmed then, but wanted to give it another shot after i heard a critic proclaim that this was Wes Anderson's greatest film

You do have to be 100% engaged to enjoy a Was Anderson film or you will miss a lot of detail. I am guessing that when i originally saw it, i wasnt paying attention because this is a great movie --- But alas i still stand firm that The Royal Tenenbaums is the man's best movie . And because i enjoy sophomoric humor, i love Bottle Rocket too

Old 06-08-22, 04:41 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Watched 4 winners recently on the Criterion Channel.
Ministry of Fear (1944) Fritz Lang directed WW2 spy movie based on Graham Greene book. Not among Lang's best but still rates an 8/10.
Foreign Affair (1948) directed by Billy Wilder, starring Marlene Dietrich set in war ravaged , cold war Berlin. 9/10.
Five Graves to Cairo (1943) also directed by Billy Wilder WW2 drama. 8/10.
Purple Noon (1960) starring Alain Delon. 10/10 The descriptive blurb from the Criterion Channel describes why I rate it a 10/10:
Directed by René Clément • 1960 • France, Italy
Starring Alain Delon, Maurice Ronet, Marie Laforêt
Alain Delon was at his most impossibly beautiful when PURPLE NOON was released and made him an instant star. This ripe, colorful adaptation of Patricia Highsmith’s vicious novel “The Talented Mr. Ripley,” directed by the versatile René Clément, stars Delon as Tom Ripley, a duplicitous American charmer in Rome on a mission to bring his privileged, devil-may-care acquaintance Philippe Greenleaf (Maurice Ronet) back to the United States. What initially seems a carefree tale of friendship soon morphs into a thrilling saga of seduction, identity theft, and murder. Featuring gorgeous location photography of coastal Italy, PURPLE NOON is crafted with a light touch that allows it to be at once suspenseful and erotic, and it gave Delon the role of a lifetime.
Old 06-09-22, 12:38 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

How To Steal a Million (1966) William Wyler directed comedy caper starring Audrey Hepburn and Peter O'Toole 8/10. Filmed in Paris. Great local scenery and funny French cars; lots of laffs and Hepburn is, as always, lovely and fashionably dressed. The library's DVD included an entertaining A&E biography documentary about Hepburn.
Old 06-11-22, 06:37 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Tell No One (2006), French production of the Harlen Coben mystery crime/murder novel. English dubbing and/or subtitles available on the DVD, Kept me guessing who did what to whom until the end. Includes a great chase scene. 8/10.
Old 06-12-22, 08:18 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999) Matt Damon, Jude Law and Gweneth Patrow. Very good and very different than the French movie, Purple Noon (1960) and the Patricia Highsmith novel from which both movies were adapted. I liked it 8/10 but nowhere near as much as Purple Noon.

An interesting comparison of the two movies is at YouTube. Note that this video has spoilers about both the plot and endings of the movies.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 06-13-22, 12:28 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Roman Holiday (1953) directed by William Wyler, starring Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn in her first starring role for which she won the Oscar for best actress. Filmed on location in Rome.
Lots of fun and Hepburn is a classic. 9/10.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.