Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Do steel lugged bikes go faster downhill than carbon fiber bikes?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Do steel lugged bikes go faster downhill than carbon fiber bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-12, 08:03 AM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

Bikes: 1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
All things being equal, the heaviest car would have the highest terminal velocity, but that doesn't mean it would win a short race down a ramp.
+1
Old 07-16-12, 08:33 AM
mikeinroch

Bikes: 1982 Team Fuji, 1992 Nishiki Backroads, 1999 Diamondback Topanga SE

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Gravity is a force, with a constant rate of acceleration working on the mass of the rider + bike (F=ma). When mass is larger, the force is larger, and acceleration won't reach zero until that larger force is balanced out by a larger force of friction of the air (wind resistance) and the bearings. So terminal velocity is higher, and up to that point acceleration remains higher for the heavier rider (since wind resistance is going to be pretty similar between any two riders on road bikes at the same speed).

Last edited by mikeinroch; 07-16-12 at 08:48 AM.
Old 07-16-12, 08:48 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by AlbertaBeef
Heavier riders go downhill faster. Bike weight + rider weight applies here... If you're the same weight but your bike is heavier - you go downhill faster. Same with wheels... heavier wheels go down faster.
Galileo proved many centuries ago that the acceleration of gravity is independent of mass.
Old 07-16-12, 09:16 AM
CardiacKid
SNARKY MEMBER

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Theoretically, if the ramp was short enough, that might be true. Practically speaking, the reason why a steel bike is faster than a carbon bike on a descent is because it weighs more. There is another reason that sometimes applies that was not given by the OP. When I am climbing, I try and conserve energy and use it on the descent. Skinny people try and blast up the hill and rest on the descent. We are both playing to our strengths, which brings us back to the first point.
Old 07-16-12, 12:03 PM
aixaix 
car guy, recovering

Bikes: Olympia Competizione & Special Piuma, Frejus track circa 1958, Dahon Helios, many others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Galileo proved many centuries ago that the acceleration of gravity is independent of mass.
Only in a vacuum. Factor in wind resistance (as other respondents have) and the situation changes. What's confusing is that gravity is pulling heavy objects down with more force than light ones, but the extra pull is exactly counteracted by the greater inertia of a heavier object so acceleration is the same.

In a vacuum. Only in a vacuum. Add air, and the heavier object's greater momentum will accelerate it faster than a light one.

In the atmosphere, a heavier man will accelerate faster down a hill and have a higher terminal velocity than a light one. Frontal area grows more slowly than the volume for a given shape, so it doesn't slow the heavier man down as much as his extra mass speeds him up.

Gravity hasn't changed: only the presence of an atmosphere makes a heavy rider faster than a light one.

I kind of like the steel bike/magnetism theory.
Old 07-16-12, 12:29 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
True, but your acceleration down the hill is due to the net force on the rider which is not independent of mass.

Originally Posted by jolly_ross
leftthread understands I think.

If you and the bike weigh twice as much - then there is twice the force acting between you and the planet true - BUT - it has twice the inertia to overcome. Inertia cancels out weight. Exactly. Always.
Inertia has no effect on the force due to weight.

Wind resistance and rolling resistance matter - but unless you have something really wrong they're not going to vary a great deal between one person and another.[/QUOTE]Sort of true but if the wind resistance doesn't increase with a heavier rider he will reach a higher terminal velocity before the forces due to gravity are balanced with wind resistance.

Originally Posted by mikeinroch
Gravity is a force, with a constant rate of acceleration working on the mass of the rider + bike (F=ma). When mass is larger, the force is larger, and acceleration won't reach zero until that larger force is balanced out by a larger force of friction of the air (wind resistance) and the bearings. So terminal velocity is higher, and up to that point acceleration remains higher for the heavier rider (since wind resistance is going to be pretty similar between any two riders on road bikes at the same speed).
This.
Old 07-16-12, 12:32 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
As for a bike with a theoretically non-existent rider, I believe tires make more of a difference than anything else in downhill speed. So don't worry about the frame.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-16-12, 12:32 PM
Puget Pounder
Wookie Jesus inspires me.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Whip out the vector diagrams!
Old 07-16-12, 12:55 PM
spunkyj

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aixaix
It works on all things equally, regardless of mass or density. You may be the heaviest and fastest downhill rider, but it isn't because gravity is treating you any differently than anybody else. Wind resistance & rolling friction are the variables here.
Yep, gravity is accelerating all riders at a rate of g*sin(theta), where theta is the angle of elevation you are descending.

However, wind resistance will contribute a negative acceleration (i.e. a deceleration) that does depend on mass. Deceleration due to wind drag is proportional to 1/mass, which means it will slow down heavy riders less.

So, gravity accelerates all equally, but heavy riders are slowed down less by the wind, and therefore have a larger net acceleration downhill.
Old 07-16-12, 01:31 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by CardiacKid
I am no physicist, so I can't cite the correct rules, but I believe everyone is hung up on the wrong rules. The Pinewood Derby Rule of Physics says "All other things being equal, the heavier car wins" For those unfamiliar with the Pinewood Derby, it is an annual competition for Cub Scouts. They make their own small wooden cars and race them against other Scouts down a ramp. There is a weight limit of 5 oz. I was in charge of the competition in my sons Pack for three years. I observed over and over that a car that weighed 4.9 oz had no chance of winning.
In that same regard, I have seen over and over skinny people pass me on the uphill and me fly by them on the downhill. Everybody agrees reduced weight is very important to climbing, but cant seem to agree the opposite is also true.
But my ringer pinewood derby car at 4.98 oz. (I actually used a gram scale to walk as close to the max as possible) will GO, especially due to the dressed round wheels and polished nails for axles... there are a few other tricks too besides an aero body. No magnets either.
Old 07-16-12, 01:46 PM
spunkyj

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by haaseg
I think the term everyone is looking for is "inertia". Inertia is affected by mass. The more inertia you have, the less affected you are by resistance. Think about the amount of breaking power that would be required to stop a loaded freight truck going 55mph vs a Fiat going 55mph. The heavier bike/rider going downhilll is going to be less affected by road and wind resistance.
Actually, I think rolling resistance is independent of the rider mass, just like the gravitational acceleration. That is to say that in a vacuum chamber two riders with identical bikes but different masses would accelerate down an incline at the same rate.
Old 07-16-12, 02:21 PM
Creme Brulee

Bikes: koga miyata road gentleman, raleigh crested butte, raleigh comp 650b

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the answer is yes
Old 07-16-12, 02:33 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
And what about TIG welded steel bikes?
What about my Technium PRE with Alcoa 6061 aluminum and Tange steel stays?
Old 07-16-12, 03:24 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
See : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ap...ammer_drop.ogg
Old 07-16-12, 04:00 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
You don't **really** believe we ever went to the moon... right? That's obviously a studio in Burbank.
Old 07-16-12, 04:04 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 2,127 Times in 555 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
+1!!! The acceleration of gravity is the same regardless of the mass of the object. (Actually, there are very slight difference depending on the proximity of the center of gravity of the two objects--yes, you do pull on the earth as well. A rider in Death Valley will weigh slightly more than if that same rider & bike were at the top of Mt. Everest, but let's stick to Newtonian physics for this discussion.) As many have said, it's the air resistance that causes a heavy rider to descent more quickly. More precisely, it is the fact that the heavy rider has a greater ratio of weight-to-surface area (read:air resistance) than the lighter rider.

Btw, p=mv would tell you how much damage a heavy and a light rider would cause if they smashed into a wall at the bottom of a hill. It doesn't explain why the heavy rider would reach the wall at the bottom of the hill first.

P.s. It is worth noting that riders on steel, lugged bikes tend to have a greater mass-to-surface area ratio. So, yes, in the practical sense, steel lugged bikes go downhill faster.

'72 Cilo Pacer • '72 Peugeot PX10 • '73 Speedwell Ti • '74 Nishiki Competition • '74 Peugeot UE-8 • '86 Look Equipe 753 • '86 Look KG86 • '89 Parkpre Team Road • '90 Parkpre Team MTB • '90 Merlin Ti

Avatar photo courtesy of jeffveloart.com, contact: contact: jeffnil8 (at) gmail.com.

Last edited by gaucho777; 07-16-12 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-16-12, 04:19 PM
AlbertaBeef

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why do people keep trying to prove their point by arguing things that only apply in a vacuum? We don't ride in a vacuum, people. In the world we live in, net force is greater in the heavier rider, the bike and rider position being equal, period.
Old 07-16-12, 04:28 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by spunkyj
Actually, I think rolling resistance is independent of the rider mass, just like the gravitational acceleration. That is to say that in a vacuum chamber two riders with identical bikes but different masses would accelerate down an incline at the same rate.
I'm not sure, but I've seen lighter cars win the Pinewood Derby. Not often, but all things being equal, the ones at 4.9oz generally are the fastest.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 07-16-12 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-16-12, 04:30 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by sailorbenjamin
This whole conversation reminds me of the time a couple of years ago when I forgot to pay the gravity bill. Everything was up in the air for a week before the check finally cleared and they sent a guy to turn it back on.
Gravity is just invisible rubber bands, anyway.
Old 07-16-12, 04:41 PM
Andycapp

Bikes: Tommasini Super Prestige, Kamra Triathlee, Nishiki Tri-A equipe', Sakai 2000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gonzo Bob
Earth's core is magnetic and the magnetic force is pulling your steel bike down
So... am I faster going north on a steel bike (northern hemisphere of course)? Don't forget to ride in metric, that's faster too
Old 07-16-12, 04:55 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Gravity is just invisible rubber bands, anyway.
You may be closer to the truth than you realize (now that the Higgs boson has been detected).

The fundamental particles of the universe that physicists have identified—electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and so on—are the "letters" of all matter. Just like their linguistic counterparts, they appear to have no further internal substructure. String theory proclaims otherwise. According to string theory, if we could examine these particles with even greater precision—a precision many orders of magnitude beyond our present technological capacity—we would find that each is not pointlike but instead consists of a tiny, one-dimensional loop. Like an infinitely thin rubber band, each particle contains a vibrating, oscillating, dancing filament that physicists have named a string. -Brian Greene

'72 Cilo Pacer • '72 Peugeot PX10 • '73 Speedwell Ti • '74 Nishiki Competition • '74 Peugeot UE-8 • '86 Look Equipe 753 • '86 Look KG86 • '89 Parkpre Team Road • '90 Parkpre Team MTB • '90 Merlin Ti

Avatar photo courtesy of jeffveloart.com, contact: contact: jeffnil8 (at) gmail.com.
Old 07-16-12, 04:55 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
For a number of years now, work has been proceeding to bring perfection to the crudely conceived idea of a machine that would not only supply inverse reactive current for use in unilateral phase detractors, but would also be capable of automatically synchronizing cardinal grammeters. Such a machine is the "turbo-encabulator." Basically, the only new principle involved is that instead of power being generated by the relative motion of conductors and fluxes, it is produced by the medial interaction of magneto-reluctance and capacitive directance.

The original machine had a base plate of prefabulated amulite, surmounted by a malleable logarithmic casing in such a way that the two spurving bearings were in direct line with the pentametric fan. The latter consisted simply of six hydrocoptic marzelvanes, so fitted to the ambifacient lunar waneshaft that side fumbline was effectively prevented. The main winding was of the normal lotus-0-delta type placed in panendermic semiboiloid slots in the stator, every seventh conductor being connected by a nonreversible tremie pipe to the differential gridlespring on the "up" end of the grammeters.

Forty-one manestically spaced grouting brushes were arranged to feed into the rotor slipstream a mixture of high S-value phenylhydrobenzamine and 5% remanative tetryliodohexamine. Both of these liquids have specific pericosities given by P=2.5Cn6.7 where n is the diathetical evolute of retrograde temperature phase disposition and C is Chlomondeley's annular grillage coefficient. Initially, n was measured with the aid of metaploar refractive pilfrometer (for a description of this ingenious instrument, see Reference 1), but up to the present, nothing has been found to equal the transcendental hopper dadoscope (2).

Electrical engineers will appreciate the difficulty of nubing together a regurgitative purwell and a supramitive wennelsprock. Indeed, this proved to be a stumbling block to further development until, in 1942, it was found that the use of anhydrous nangling pins enabled a kryptonastic boiling shim to the tankered.

The early attempts to construct a sufficiently robust spiral decommutator failed largely because of a lack of appreciation of the large quasi-piestic stresses in the gremlin studs; the latter were specially designed to hold the roffit bars to the spamshaft. When, however, it was discovered that wending could be prevented by a simple addition to the living sockets, almost perfect running was secured.

The operating point is maintained as near as possible to the h.f. rem peak by constantly fromaging the bitumogenous spandrels. This is a distinct advance on the standard nivel-sheave in that no dramcock oil is required after the phase detractors have been remissed.

Undoubtedly, the turbo-encabulator has now reached a very high level of technical development. It has been successfully used for operating nofer trunnions. In addition, whenever a barescent skor motion is required, it may be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocating dingle arm to reduce sinusoidal depleneration.
Old 07-16-12, 05:10 PM
gaucho777 

^I have heard from reliable sources that work on the turbo-encabulator was thwarted by the powerful dramcock oil industry lobby.

Old 07-16-12, 05:32 PM
oban_kobi

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX, Custom Vintage FG

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by leftthread
A bit late, but this was bothering me. Good instinct, but think it through a bit. There's air on Earth. Two objects with the same air resistance, but different masses, will go downhill at different speeds.
Old 07-16-12, 05:34 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed in Toronto
...next time I’m in a following position, I’ll go off to the side to see what effect this has. Maybe the other bike will even start pulling away...
Ed - FWIW, this is standard procedure in a paceline when you find yourself getting too close to the rider ahead of you.

Also, getting that close to a cyclist whose ability and intentions you don't know is a good way to effect a face/ground interface. If your front wheel touches his/her rear wheel, you're most likely going down. Be careful out there!

Demain, on roule!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.