Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Suzuki Rv 90 1971 Engine swap

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-12, 08:18 AM
Jin103

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I have a Suzuki Rv 90 1971 Trail bike and have learned that with this type of oil injection system it clogs up easily so, I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to clear it or of an engine size that would fit the mounts? I was thinking of putting a Yamaha 125cc 4 stroke in it for more power because 45 mph wont cut it with the highways around where I live. Any suggestions and where is a person able to find such an engine without getting the whole bike?
Old 09-02-12, 08:22 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
Jin103, while someone on here likely has the answer, this is a forum about bicycles, not motorcycles.

Old 09-02-12, 08:23 AM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
Hi,

I think you'd have much better luck getting an answer by posting your question in a forum for motorcycles.

BikeForums is a website devoted to bicycles, and the engines on them are your legs.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 09-02-12, 09:05 AM
Flying Merkel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Yep, we are bicycle folk around here.

I love the old Suzukis. You can bypass the oil injection system & run premix. Motorcycle engine swaps rarely work out well. The expense and hassle are more than the cost of a good used bike. It's hard to source a particular engine. Just buy a Yamaha 125 if you want one. Check out Cycle World forums. There's a lot of opinions over there.
Old 09-02-12, 09:07 AM
CardiacKid
SNARKY MEMBER

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I would suggest you swap it out for a Campy NR drivetrain.
Old 09-02-12, 01:56 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
Originally Posted by Flying Merkel
You can bypass the oil injection system & run premix.
My dad did this on an old early '70's street trail Suzuki that had a bad oil injection system. Worked OK, but would seize up every so often. You could restart it once it cooled down.
Old 09-02-12, 02:29 PM
David Newton
Wood

Bikes: Raleigh Sports: hers. Vianelli Professional & Bridgestone 300: mine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
If you wrap wire around where the spokes cross, and solder the wire solid, all your wildest dreams will come true.
Old 09-02-12, 06:21 PM
ftwelder

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
If you eliminate the oil injection system you need to run bigger fuel jets in the carb (the brass nuts in the float bowl). You likely have something around 130, try 10% bigger.
Old 09-03-12, 08:33 AM
Lenton58 

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star, Woodrup, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
I used to road race Suzukis (larger than yours) with forced oil injection. They worked perfectly and were superior to other systems because they had a direct feed to the main crank bearings. If anything is "clogging" it's because the pump is not synchronized with the throttle. You need the manual. Dead easy to set up. If the cylinder bores and/or the rings are worn, all 2-stroke engines will foul plugs.

There are some excellent motorcycle forums on the net with people who are as every bit as friendly as the cycling men and women here on Bike Forums. I hope that you find some friends over there. Good luck!
Old 09-03-12, 11:57 AM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
But post a picture of the bike before you depart...please!
Old 09-03-12, 01:58 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
Great thread!
Old 09-03-12, 11:49 PM
puchfinnland
MIKE is my name!

Bikes: hans lutz, , puch mistral ultima,2x Austro Daimler Smoked chrome Ultima,Austro Daimler Mixte,Austro Daimler 531 mixte, flying arrow,F Moser,

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 4 Posts
reminds me of the proper way to reseal an old bad quality leaking head (marine toilet)

mix up some epoxy, pour it in, give 3 good pumps and it will never cause any trouble for you ever again..
Old 09-04-12, 05:59 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
I have had two Suzuki RV 125's in the past and they were unique motorcycles ( the first Fat Cat's ) with ATC sized wheels & tires, they were meant for trail riding and nothing more. If you want some more power for the street you would be better off finding a used dual sport motorcycle, the Suzuki is a collectable if in good shape can catch a good bit of money for what it is.

As far as removing the oil injection, it really depends on the design as Lenton58 pointed out a lot of the Suzuki's back in the day had two output lines from the injection system. One ran to the intake manifold and one feed went to the main crank bearings. I know that the two output line engines it was not recommended that it be removed as damage to the main bearings is likely no matter how much oil is mixed in the fuel.

Glenn
Old 09-04-12, 06:07 AM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
This is why I enjoy this board. Someone here knows at least something about nearly anything.

You guys probably gave the OP quite a bit of help (and no faux outrage flaming!). Syke should chime in soon, probably knows as much about our two wheel brethern as anyone here.

I can't give the OP any help. Come back with a question about drawing comic books and cartoons, I can help.

And oh yeah, pics are a must.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 09-04-12, 09:55 AM
Kevin stafford

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 10 Posts
The Suzuki CCI oil injection can be removed, but you need to split the cases and remove the oiler for the left main bearing to allow premix to lubricate the bearing . Probably no need to do this, the oil injection rarely caused any problems. If the plug is oil fouled, the likely cause is a leaking right side crank seal allowing transmission oil to be pulled into the engine ( the right main bearing is lubed by trans oil, the seal is inboard of the bearing). Any 2 stroke of this age needs the seals replaced anyway (if the left side leaks it will pull in air, causing a lean condition with engine overheating and seizure).
Old 09-04-12, 12:58 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Injector oils commonly develop precipitate particles which can be seen floating in the tank and even a clear oil line.
I haven't had a failure due to this, but did purge out a few oil lines and reservoirs over the years.
There is a bleeder screw on the injector pump that is immediately upstream of the inlet screen, so a periodic purge of a small volume of oil is recommended.

Ft's right about using premix requiring larger jets. When I was racing my H2 S/G drag bike it often seemed like I was the only one who wasn't seizing pistons (and frying clutches iir). In my case, the Lectron 40mm carbs I used were properly calibrated for pre-mix, and the "oil slingers" had been removed from the crank bearings to allow mist oiling. I never seized a motor in over 200 runs (3 seasons).

One more thing, I once had a head-on collision with a rider on one of thes little Suzukis, luckily no one badly hurt, but no one took the initiative to alert arriving riders that the track's direction of travel had been reversed for that day!

In general, I have faith in the injector pumps. My TS250 and RD400 have been running injection since the late '70's with no problems at all.
My only gripe is that the TS250 Suzuki and most similar bikes have no warning light for low injector oil level, so you must check oil level at each refueling.

Last edited by dddd; 09-04-12 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-06-12, 07:09 AM
Glennfordx4

Wow a H2 and a RD400, some fun there. I never had the pleasure of owning a Kawasaki two stroke road bike but have had a few RD250's & 350's and they were a lot of fun to ride, I've always wanted the 400. I have had about 10 TS250's in my life time all from the early to mid 70's and they were one of the motors you were not to remove the injector from even set up for MX because of the crankcase design. I have had all the TS models with the exception of a 400 and still have a 1972 TS 125 Duster they always were good running bikes and the 250's were like tanks.

The spark plug fouling can be from the right hand crankcase seal leaking as was stated it's a inboard seal but at the same time it would also be smoking pretty bad and have no power ( my TS125 has a bad one in it ).

Glenn
Old 09-06-12, 04:47 PM
ozneddy

Bikes: Casati, ,Peugot,Mitchell,Raliegh,Nishiki

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What can I say ? (I got a Harley).
Old 09-06-12, 07:06 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Originally Posted by ozneddy
What can I say ? (I got a Harley).
Me too! No Harley parts on this one, but there's a real Harley (and a Schwinn) in the background.
Maybe a similar motor would fit into (or onto) the OP's Suzuki?

The best Suzuki dual-purpose bike might have been the TS185 "Sierra" model, which was almost as light as the 125!

The early TS400 was really primitive, no snap to it, very poor handling off-road, and you had to choose one of two air-screw settings: lean mixture for smooth, clean city riding, or a half-turn richer to keep the engine from surging and pinging on the highway (at roughly 3/8 throttle). A colder plug would do about the same thing as the "rich" setting, but would quickly load up in the city to the point where it wouldn't idle.
I soldered a little handle to the tip of the brass air screw, and would flip it a half-turn clockwise whenever I got on the freeway. It was a great-looking bike though, and I'm almost sorry I sold it.

The h2's sold for good money after I brought all 5 of them to California, rode them, and raced one of them, but in hind-sight I should have perhaps kept the 1972 stocker, which went back to Japan (tears).

Last edited by dddd; 09-06-12 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-07-12, 01:01 AM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
That was amusing to find so much interest in an old 2-stroke motorcycle thread on a bicycle forum!

I rescued an RV90 from a scrapyard and made it run again.

If you are having problems with the injection clogging you need to use better quality oil. The crap they sell at the auto parts store or wally mart will only cause you grief. Suzuki CCI oil is great and I highly recommend Spectro 2T for injection. I have NEVER had a problem with either of those products. I have drained out a lot of "snake oil" from bikes I have worked on.

DONT EVER run premix in any Suzuki 2 stroke!!! There is no oiling passage for the main bearing that the CCI oil pump line feeds. If you have to go to premix you have to split the cases and drill a passage in the case.

My best 2 stroke fun was on the Dumspter Special. I won a couple of championships roadracing it. It was a Yamaha YR1 that I rescued from a motorcycle shop's dumpster.

-SP
Old 09-09-12, 06:00 AM
Glennfordx4

The Suzuki TS185 "Sierra" was one of the best motorcycles I had growing up and I would like to have another one, my first one I picked up when I was about 12yrs old & it had no clutch, a pair of vise grips as a shifter and a front brake only, I could ride the crap out of that thing. My second TS185 was in much better condition and I wish I still had it, this is what it looked like ( my screen saver ),

Glenn
Old 09-09-12, 06:11 AM
Glennfordx4

Originally Posted by dddd
Me too! No Harley parts on this one, but there's a real Harley (and a Schwinn) in the background.
Maybe a similar motor would fit into (or onto) the OP's Suzuki?

The best Suzuki dual-purpose bike might have been the TS185 "Sierra" model, which was almost as light as the 125!

The early TS400 was really primitive, no snap to it, very poor handling off-road, and you had to choose one of two air-screw settings: lean mixture for smooth, clean city riding, or a half-turn richer to keep the engine from surging and pinging on the highway (at roughly 3/8 throttle). A colder plug would do about the same thing as the "rich" setting, but would quickly load up in the city to the point where it wouldn't idle.
I soldered a little handle to the tip of the brass air screw, and would flip it a half-turn clockwise whenever I got on the freeway. It was a great-looking bike though, and I'm almost sorry I sold it.

The h2's sold for good money after I brought all 5 of them to California, rode them, and raced one of them, but in hind-sight I should have perhaps kept the 1972 stocker, which went back to Japan (tears).
If that engine won't fit in his RV90 maybe we could get it into my free 84 ironhead Sportster I am working on although I may need new brakes at every red light I come to

Glenn